Tauro's A7v Totenkopf

Ernst

Hello,

I've just finished the a7v from Tauro. It's a 40years old kit with a (fragile) workable suspension and individual links which was pretty advanced for the time. The molding is questionable here and there but I've only paid about 12 pounds for it and at that price I would highly recommend it. Little information is given by Tauro which exact tank is meant so I took inspiration from the 540 which is wrong because it's a different model of a7v with only one hatch on the front.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

There are different interpretations of the model in terms of patters and colours, especially the roof. Some show camouflage on top and some drawings show a solid green roof with a big white cross on it. Frankly, I don't know. I couldn't find a photograph taken from a bird's eye view.

Making this model despite of it's flaws put a smile on my face and it made me appreciate the tight fit of modern kits.

Here's two pictures with a younger panzer sibling that almost looks modern by comparison.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thank you for watching,

Cheers,

Ernst.

• Like 23

Hi Ernst,

I'm glad to see some of your work on the forum. A couple of very unusual subjects, I couldn't finish my A7V at the time, I see that you have had patience with the tracks to finish it ...
It seems that you have not decided on a more pronounced weathering, but it looks very good, because the colors are quite integrated, a small base would come in handy.
The other, if it is a special vehicle, with so many turrets, and such an elaborate camo, it must have been difficult to know where to put each color.
I really like the mud that falls on the sides, it reminds me a bit of the British Matilda.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Ernst,

I'm glad to see some of your work on the forum. A couple of very unusual subjects, I couldn't finish my A7V at the time, I see that you have had patience with the tracks to finish it ...
It seems that you have not decided on a more pronounced weathering, but it looks very good, because the colors are quite integrated, a small base would come in handy.
The other, if it is a special vehicle, with so many turrets, and such an elaborate camo, it must have been difficult to know where to put each color.
I really like the mud that falls on the sides, it reminds me a bit of the British Matilda.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Thank you Francis. I decided to do only mild weathering. The a7v's were repainted (a couple of times if I'm correct) in their short life span so not much chipping would occur I guess. I have no idea if the colours are even remotely correct but I liked the gray for added variety. Their top speed was low so I guess not much mud would be flying around except for incoming artillery rounds.

The Brittish had the Vickers A1E1 Independent, the Soviets the t-28 and the t-35 and Germany had 5 of these. It was a bit of a dead and in tank development. The reichswehr camo was applied over the primer, no basecolour such as dunkelgelb >'43. You can still see I used erdgelb as basecolour but that is what a modeller would naturally assume. A common trick is to use green as basecolour. Spannish modellers often paint panzer I's in this livery because of their deployment in the civil war. The model has a few bits missing but I decided to show the side by side  nevertheless.

Thank you for taking an interest,

Cheers,

Ernst.

On 23/01/2021 at 23:02, Buzby061 said:

Like it! It certainly is an odd looking beast. 

Pete

Thank you Pete, highly appreciated.

On 24/01/2021 at 09:01, Stef N. said:

Brilliant paint job Ernst. Highly impressive indeed. Nice one.👏

Thank you Stef, this was a fun project to do.

On 24/01/2021 at 10:46, Bullbasket said:

Not something that we see very often. Nice paint job Ernst.

John.

Thank you John for taking a look.

Cheers,

Ernst.

• Like 1

This vehicle has always baffled me ,as how it ever got across the muddy ground on the battlefield. You have turned out a fine looking model. 

• Thanks 1

On 26/01/2021 at 14:14, fpmeyer said:

I liked the painting. ... It's the classic and "weird" camo from World War I.

Thank you Fábio, there were indeed some highly interesting schemes in that era, the french had some wild ones as welll. I've always liked the razzle dazzle on ships.

On 28/01/2021 at 18:27, PlaStix said:

Hi Ernst. Hope you are well. That really looks superb! Excellent result! Very well done. :goodjob:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix, highly appreciated.

40 minutes ago, Homer said:

This vehicle has always baffled me ,as how it ever got across the muddy ground on the battlefield. You have turned out a fine looking model. 

Thank you, highly appreciated. There's an interesting conversation between Indy Neidell and Ralf Raths from the german tank museum around the 4 and 5 minute mark. On flat surface they performed quite well but I think Brittish tanks were best in terms of trench crossing capabilities. Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESKxi4EEDUQ

Thank you all for taking an interest in this peculiar panzer.

Cheers,

Ernst.

Edited by Ernst
Link did't work