NMF P-40B/C?

Supersonic26

Hello everybody,

I've been somewhat obsessed with building early P-40s in all kinds of markings recently and stumbled upon some pictures of an NMF P-40C flying at Duxford. The finish seems pretty normal for a US fighter ca. 1940, but I've been unable to find any information on who operated them or where. My other sources exclusively show early P-40s in olive drab over neutral grey (or the Flying Tigers camo) which is pretty puzzling!

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Per Dana Bell's recent excellent book on the early P-40 ("P-40 Warhawk," Aircraft Pictorial 5, by Classic Warships Publishing), only the first three aircraft off the production line were delivered in bare metal finish. P-40 CU, nos. 39-156, 39-157, and 39-158. They carried wing insignia and the red, white, and blue rudder stripes.

These early machines had no wing guns, and various other differences from later ones. The book has several excellent photos of them, and like all the titles in this series, is well done and highly recommended. I was able to google some nice images of 39-156, too.

Edited by MDriskill

If you clicked on the link I gave you you would have found out exactly what it is.

"During the restoration it was decided to finish the aircraft in the scheme of a P-40 based at Chanute Field, Illinois. Our aircraft wears the scheme of 39-159, a P-40C that was stripped of it’s olive drab camouflage paint and used as a personal ‘hack’ for base commanders."