UPDATED 20210303 The Shorts Tucano in RAF service Pt 2 the special schemes updated 24 Jan 2021

canberraman

In part 2 of the Tucano in RAF service feature I have raided my slide and digipix collection to bring you the specials worn during the type's long career.

In 1990, the first Tucano solo display aircraft - ZF145, had a toucan design (after which the aircraft is names) applied to its tail by 7 FTS at Church Fenton.  Seen here at Abingdon BoB display in September.

img

ZF406  - one of two CFS Tucanos painted overall blue for the 1993 display season.

img

In 1994 1 FTS celebrated its 75th anniversary making it the oldest flying training school in existence. To mark the occasion ZF408 received special commemorative markings.

img

For the 1999 display season, 1 FTS gave two of its aircraft – ZF446 and ZF417 - ‘go faster’ yellow fuselage stripes. 

img

…And for the 2006 season, a silver/grey stripe, as seen on ZF144 landing at Waddington during its flying display at the International Air Show in June that year.

img

In 2007 72 Sqn marked its 90th anniversary. Tucano ZF448 ‘Basuto’ was to receive these rather elegant special markings.  Seen here at Abingdon in May 2007.

img

ZF295 was the 1 FTS mount for the 2007 RAF Tucano display and was given this special scheme as seen at the Waddington IAS in June.

img

For the RAF 90th anniversary in 2008, display Tucano ZF210 received this stylized fuselage flash. It is shown here at Waddington IAS in July. The spare display aircraft was ZF338 that wore a similar scheme.

img

For the 2009 season, 1 FTS gave ZF317 this slightly garish shark scheme. Seen here in the static lineup at RIAT that year.

img

The aircraft chosen for the 2010 Tucano display scheme, which commemorated the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, was ZF317 whose code QJ-F was originally worn on Spitfire R6908, a 92 Sqn aircraft in the Battle. See here arriving for RIAT at RAF Fairford in July.

img

ZF171 LZ-R was the spare 2010 display Tucano and was also given period livery to represent a Spitfire of 66 Sqn that also fought in the BoB. Photographed here at Duxford in September that year.

img

ZF378 in a predominantly high speed silver scheme, was the 1 FTS display aircraft for 2011. It is seen here being displayed at Waddington IAS.

img

img

2012 marked the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the throne. No 1 FTS provided two aircraft in royal markings for the 2012 display season including the very attractive ZF269 seen at RIAT in July that year.

img

ZF374 was the reserve aircraft. Seen here the crown on the fin and ‘E II R’ on the underside. Both images were from RIAT 2012.

img

img

During the 2013 Tucano display, ZF239/RA-F was painted in a replica MEAF scheme to honour the Spitfires of 72 Squadron which fought 70 years previously in the 1943 WWII Mediterranean campaign.

img

ZF264 was the reserve aircraft for the 2013 display season. It received alternative special markings to recognise the work of the Royal Air Force Association which provides welfare support to the wider RAF family. Shown here arriving at RIAT.

img

In 2014, Tucano ZF244 was marked with poppies to mark the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of World War One. Seen here prior to its flying display at Waddington IAS in July.

img

In 2017 - 72 Sqn’s 100th anniversary, Tucano ZF378 was given the period camouflage and code RN-S "Enniskillen" in recognition of the original ‘Belfast Telegraph’ funded Spitfire which wore the name during World War II, and of 72 Squadron's strong links with Northern Ireland. Both photos were taken at RIAT that year.

img

img

For the RAF centenary celebrations during, 72 Sqn added the ‘RAF 100’ decal to the fin of ZF290. Seen here on static display at RIAT.

img

Hope these images have been of interest, brought back memories and inspired some of you to model this significant training type.  Thanks for looking!

Mark

Edited by canberraman
additional photo
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Hi Mark. Thanks for sharing another wonderful selection of images. I recall most of the schemes and think my favourite is the 2010 Battle of Britain one.

Thanks Leigh, glad you like them and they brought back memories. I agree with you that the Tucano in WWII period camo is quite convincing and the type does have the look of a modern day Spitfire!

• Like 1

Great pictures once again. Thanks for posting them.

For the Chivenor open day in 1993 I was picked to help out as ground crew for visiting aircraft.

We saw in the Crunchie Stampes, I did a rotors running refuel on a Navy Lynx, and, we had two Tucano's there.

One support/spare and I think the other was the blue one as seen above. As the only one in the crew with Tucano experience,

I strapped in the crews (both solo) and then did a double start and wave out. The last time I went near one.

• Like 4

Thanks Pete,

Have just come across another special scheme I overlooked initially. It is ZF210 of 1 FTS wearing the unit's 90th anniversary scheme seen at an unidentified location in July 2009.

img

Mark

• Like 5

• canberraman changed the title to The Shorts Tucano in RAF service Pt 2 the special schemes updated 24 Jan 2021
11 hours ago, F-32 said:

Great shots, there really were some awesome schemes over the years

Agree completely. For an RAF type it did have some mostly very nice special markings. I think the WWII camo really suited the type. 

Mark

2 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Yet another fantastic archive, thank you Mark, I'm sure many Tucanos will be emerging from various lofts as a result.

Thanks Colin and all!  Glad to have been of service.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Have just uncovered another Tucano scheme that I had overlooked. During 1994, 3 FTS at RAFC Cranwell applied special markings to two of their aircraft in recognition of the Cranwell Poachers Jet Provost aerobatic team of the 1970s. The two aircraft that received the revised scheme were ZF377 and ZF409 pictured here at Yeovilton Air Day that  year.

img

• Like 5

• canberraman changed the title to UPDATED 20210303 The Shorts Tucano in RAF service Pt 2 the special schemes updated 24 Jan 2021

Smashing collection, almost feel I should build half a dozen Tucano's now! One thing I feel I need to mention is the odd application of the fin flashes on some aircraft including the RAF centenary flash. They appear to be tilting backwards which looks sloppy to my eye as do the Hawk T2's. 

Keith

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hello, does anyone have photos of chassis niches? Especially the nose stand.
And what else is in the main air intake, nothing is visible in the photos.

P.S. sorry, I'm writing through a translator.