Iraqi MT-LB 1/87 - "Safely Home?"

Every story has a side less told.

I like to explore the forgotten sides of conflicts - in this case the Iraqi conscript army forced into a war against a vastly superior foe against whom they stood no chance, only to return home to turmoil.

March 1st 1991, the crew of an MT-LB arrive into Basra. Sent first to Kuwait, then with a fleet of T55s on a hopeless attempt to counter the alliance armour streaming into Iraq, the young conscripts, some veterans of the later stages of the Iran war, have spent two weeks travelling across the desert in perpetual fear of air strikes, narrowly avoiding destruction on several occasions and losing and gaining crew as they travelled and have assembled a motley gathering of destitute Iraqi military men.

Finally they arrive into the city of Basra. Hearing on the radio that a ceasefire was declared they hope they are now safe, but that day the first of the uprisings against Saddam's rule has begun and they will not find peace yet...

spacer.png

I'm going to be using a Czech SDV 1/87 kit for this one and taking inspiration from this image from the Australian War memorial of an Iraqi vehicle scratched back to its original undercoating.

The mouldings are quite old and flash heavy, instructions are limited. The front window flaps are designed separately but the rest of the flaps are moulded - except the commander's hatch which is seperate but supposed to be placed over a blank part of the upper hull. So I opened this up with a drillbit so I can fit a figure or two.

Otherwise it all went together pretty easily, ready for a base coat this weekend. Tracks are my favourite premoulded style but they run right up to the hull, so I will keep them seperate for painting.

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...