Pilatus PC-6 "der bunte Fredi" internal seating

Whirly

Hi all,

I'd like to build an old Classic Plane 1/72 kit of the Turbo Porter with this special scheme:

spacer.png

I know the usual seating arrangement is for a number of folding seats with a very complicated web structure, though I read that when in Austrian AF use it was used mainly for parachuting.

I guess in that case the interior would be much different to save space, maybe a bench along the cabin wall or something similar, though I can't find any fitting image on the web.

Could anyone with direct experience on the plane give me some advice?

Thanks a lot!

Fabio

• Like 1

As you say they are reconfigurable..

Have a look here for a blue special, a bit down the page

http://www.doppeladler.com/oebh/langenlebarn-2010.htm?langenlebarn-2010-02.htm

Or another one supposedly used by the Jagdkommando (Austrian special forces) for covered insertions via parachute....

http://www.doppeladler.com/oebh/jakdo/besuch05/pc6_3.jpg

• Like 2

Nice project. Do you have the box with those decals in? I could never find it :(

Generally speaking parachuting club aircraft have an empty cabin with a flat floor. Nothing to get caught up on, and they just slide straight out! I should think that would be the case for this aircraft.

Hope your build goes well.

• Like 1

I don't have any experience on Porters but many skydive aircraft have a bench either centrally or set opposite to the sliding door. They also may have seat belts. Also often there's a rear facing seat beside the pilot. 

Actually the second photo link in exdraken's post shows a typical layout for parachuting. 

I would suggest searching YouTube for skydive videos featuring the Porter. There isn't a skydiver alive who doesn't have a GoPro or similar. There has to be a video online which shows the interior of that particular aeroplane.

Edited by noelh

Roden did a 1/48 version with that scheme. Scalemates has a listing for the boxing, but the instructions are for a different boxing with full seating. Super-hobby's listing has the actual kit's instructions, but, again, full seating is shown.

So, either Roden did their homework and it indeed had full seating, or Roden just sent out the same plastic with different decals. :shrug:

• Like 1

Just found this picture, seems full seating was installed at one point: https://www.airliners.net/photo/Austria-Air-Force/Pilatus-PC-6-B2-H2-Turbo-Porter/1747609/L?qsp=eJwtjcEKwkAMRP8lZz1IwUNvFcSLoAd/IGSHurB2lySCpfTfjcXb8OYxs5DUyfHxx9xAPRlY5Uk7aqz8MuoXUozZXNlznQbxN5fwusv%2BfA3NqvppDpDYMYigOdKf3zRBfxVMtsUxHg4RoPctU3cMnrK1wtsGnHOhdf0CFkkx0A%3D%3D

As @exdraken said, the interior was reconfigurable. During my time at the military I had the chance to take a ride in a PC-6 which was configured like the Jagdkommando one with benches along the cabin wall. "Der bunte Fredi" was a regular at several air shows and looking at various pictures the machine regularly took passengers for short flights. So I guess it had the full seats installed on these occasions.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Smudge said:

Nice project. Do you have the box with those decals in? I could never find it :(

Nearly: I bought the special sheet produced by IPMS Austria from Meteor Productions in the USA, maybe 15 years ago. Then I started a low priority search for the Classic Plane kit and only a few months ago I casually found it at a local model event!

Thank you all for your contributions, seems I'll have to scratchbuild those seats after all ! :sad:

• Like 1