Airbrush newbie asks daft questions vol. 1

jackroadkill

Hi all,

Please excuse my total lack of knowledge in this area - could those of you who know what you're doing help a newbie out by telling me

1 - Do I need a primer if I want to get a good result using enamels?

2 - If so, what is a decent primer to start with?

3 - Can I use something like Stynylrez or will the enamels eat it?

Thanks,

Jackroadkill

You're opening a can of worms lol

I always use primer (Mr. Surfacer 1200) not only to insure paint will grip and not lift with tape, but because primer will show you flaws in the surface and if you still need putty/sanding... Also it can help getting a homogenous surface (no color difference between parts/putties).

• Thanks 1

I guess the key word is need. With enamels, no, they adhere better than acrylics on plastic. In my earlier years as a modeller, I never primed.

Since returning to the hobby and dabbling with acrylics, I started using primer and the benefits with regard to surface preparation have sold me on using it all the time even though I have reverted to enamels for the most part. I too favour Mr Surfacer 1200,

Cheers

Colin

• Thanks 1

Been building models since ‘79, I have owned six airbrushes over the last 32 years. One Paasche, Tamiya, Badger, and three Iwata’s. I never primed a build until two years ago and when I tried it blew up in my face. The Tamiya primer turned to grit on the two models I used it on. Now if I have to cover over filler or resin I only prime the local spot never the full build. I haven't had any issues with anything or any type of specific paint. I also have mixed types of paints with almost no issues either. 
       Now having said that I do have a system for acrylics like Vallejo or Ammo by mig. This also works when spraying different types of paint over each other. I always let my paints cure for 12-24 hours between sessions. I then clear coat before masking and spraying the next color wether it be enamel or lacquer. It all takes a little extra time but it doesn't bury surface detail like the online myths state, and it never has a reaction with any other types of paint.

Dennis

• Thanks 1