Bf 109 Emil, 1/72, Oblt. Werner von Hofe

This started as a "what do I have in the stash that I can do as a simple build to get my mojo back" project. Of course, that's never how it goes... 🙄

Kit is what Airfix list as the E-3, though I'm not entirely convinced whether this particular subject wasn't actually an E-4. Some sources say one thing, some another. If it's an E-3, it's been brought up to E-4 spec with the canopy - which is good, because that's what the kit has. 😁

The aspirations for doing this OOB went out of the window as soon as I saw the moulded belts on the seat. They were sanded off and replaced with some made from Tamiya tape. I also broke one of the wing-mounted guns, and the antenna pylon. The pylon I made from stretched sprue. Barrels are from Master. Canopy opening limiter is made from stretched sprue, and I added the some UvdR line for the antenna. Also added some riveting detail.

Thanks for looking. :penguin:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 58

I agree! One of the nicest renditions of the Airfix kit that I have seen so far! I concur with Colin- colors and weathering are very nicely done. If you want to take this outstanding build up another notch, on the Bf-109E's the ailerons were interconnected with the flaps- when they were extended, both ailerons drooped- I think around 10 degrees- I have a diagram and the degree of droop saved somewhere, but one of our resident Messerschmidt masters might have the figure handy.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Thank you @ColinChipmunkfan,  @Tokyo Raider 🙂

47 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I agree! One of the nicest renditions of the Airfix kit that I have seen so far! I concur with Colin- colors and weathering are very nicely done. If you want to take this outstanding build up another notch, on the Bf-109E's the ailerons were interconnected with the flaps- when they were extended, both ailerons drooped- I think around 10 degrees- I have a diagram and the degree of droop saved somewhere, but one of our resident Messerschmidt masters might have the figure handy.

Mike

Thanks for the kind words. I was eyeing-up one of the bigger kits in the future. I will bear it in mind about the ailerons. Do you know if that only happened over a certain degree of flap deployment? One of the reference shots I found for this aircraft doesn't show the ailerons drooped, but then the flaps are not as far deployed as the Airfix kit depicts them.

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG20/pages/Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-Stab-I.JG20-Hofe-WNr-1490-France-1940-01.html

That's a really nice presentation of this kit, which despite it's flaws (skinny airscrew, anyone?) is one of my favourite Emil kits.  I like the way you've made it look lived-in but not buried under inches of oil, muck and cordite.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Matt_ said:

Do you know if that only happened over a certain degree of flap deployment?

I'm not certain, but I do believe it most likely didn't take place unless the flaps were fully extended, as sometimes an aircraft would use partial flap deployment for take-off under certain conditions, and I don't think you would want the ailerons to be less effective on take-off. Maybe one of our aerodynamic experts could confirm/refute? In all of the written references I recall, they only stated the ailerons drooped with flap extension, but didn't elaborate on the degree of extension at which it occurred. There were many aircraft designs at that time that used aileron droop with flap extension.  This just in! I did find a detailed description just now on flying a restored Bf-109E which I have linked below that does describe the aileron droop takes place when the flaps are fully extended. Does that help? I  just notice that very few models of Bf-109E's that have the flaps fully extended also have the ailerons drooped- small detail, to be sure, but does make for a more accurate replica. IIRC, The Do-17 and Do-217 also had aileron droop with extended flaps.

Mike

https://haa-uk.aero/wp-content/uploads/bf109e-25.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

that link to flying the Emil was fascinating

Glad you enjoyed it, as did I. Sounds like the Bf-109 vs Spitfire scenario was much like the F-86F vs Mig-15 in Korea; in the end it was pilot skill that frequently determined the outcome. The one Axis fighter I would have loved to fly would have to be an Fw-190A or Fw-190D-9. Hope all of you Kiwis are OK! BTW, Do you live anywhere close to Alan @LDSModeller?

Mike

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 9:54 PM, Natter said:

That's a little cracker.  The weathering is very nice, no heavy pre or post shading, just the right amount of 'used'.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:31 PM, jackroadkill said:

That's a really nice presentation of this kit, which despite it's flaws (skinny airscrew, anyone?) is one of my favourite Emil kits.  I like the way you've made it look lived-in but not buried under inches of oil, muck and cordite.

Thanks both. I tried weathering this one with some oils. I applied various amounts of black/brown tones around panel edges and recesses, then blended them out by stippling with a soft brush. I think it's given some nice subtle definition to things without looking overly prominent. I'm glad you like it. I did do some black-basing with stencils, but I had to do a couple of touch-ups on the camo and around some tide marks from the decal solution, so if it's visible, it's very subtle.

On 1/23/2021 at 2:00 PM, swralph said:

Lovely build Matt.😀

Thank you. 🙂

On 1/23/2021 at 1:46 AM, 72modeler said:

I'm not certain, but I do believe it most likely didn't take place unless the flaps were fully extended, as sometimes an aircraft would use partial flap deployment for take-off under certain conditions, and I don't think you would want the ailerons to be less effective on take-off. Maybe one of our aerodynamic experts could confirm/refute? In all of the written references I recall, they only stated the ailerons drooped with flap extension, but didn't elaborate on the degree of extension at which it occurred. There were many aircraft designs at that time that used aileron droop with flap extension.  This just in! I did find a detailed description just now on flying a restored Bf-109E which I have linked below that does describe the aileron droop takes place when the flaps are fully extended. Does that help? I  just notice that very few models of Bf-109E's that have the flaps fully extended also have the ailerons drooped- small detail, to be sure, but does make for a more accurate replica. IIRC, The Do-17 and Do-217 also had aileron droop with extended flaps.

Mike

https://haa-uk.aero/wp-content/uploads/bf109e-25.pdf

Thanks for that. Very interesting read. The flaps on this were added at the end with a dab of CA. If I feel the urge, I may pop them out, cut off the locating tabs, and stick them back in a less deployed position to match that reference image linked above. That would be easier than trying to saw off the ailerons! 😅

4 hours ago, Matt_ said:

That would be easier than trying to saw off the ailerons! 😅

I wouldn't touch a thing on that little beauty! I should have kept my big mouth shut; the secret will be safe with me, you, and the other BM'ers that read the post. Next time, OK?

Mike

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 4:19 PM, 72modeler said:

I wouldn't touch a thing on that little beauty! I should have kept my big mouth shut; the secret will be safe with me, you, and the other BM'ers that read the post. Next time, OK?

Mike

No problem Mike. I'm not just posting here for an ego massage. It's great to get some specific and constructive feedback... in addition to the ego massage. 😆 

On 1/25/2021 at 4:37 PM, PattheCat said:

A truly nice and convincing rendition of my favourite version of the 109.

On 1/25/2021 at 11:37 PM, Sky Keg said:

It`s made to flawless precision.  Excellent results!!!!!! :worthy: :goodjob:

Mike

On 1/26/2021 at 12:36 AM, Mark4700 said:

Very nicely done. The weathering is superb, just the right amount. 

On 1/26/2021 at 4:49 PM, Wulfman said:

Lovely build and finish, great work !

Wulfman

6 hours ago, Homer said:

Excellent piece of work well done sir 👏

Aww, shucks. Thank you so much for all the kind words, everyone. :blush:

3 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Lovely - what paints did you use? IIRC there is some debate about what RLMs were used on this machine

Thanks. All-sorts. Mostly Tamiya. I spent far too long trying to research what the actual scheme was, and in the end I decided that I liked the look of RLM02/71/65 rather than the other possibilities, so I went with that. The 02 and 65 were Tamiya mixes. I think the 71 was Tamiya XF-81 (though it may have been the Gunze RAF Dark Green - I tried both). Prop was XF-27.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...