RFI: Eduard Fw190A8 1/48 First Model of 2021

Greetings Brits.  Here is a model I just finished...  let me know if you can see this.  I am trying a new hosting place...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

ok, I think i got this now working...  Enjoy...  let me know what you think...

Edited by Tokyo Raider
  • Like 46

• Tokyo Raider changed the title to RFI: Eduard Fw190A8 1/48 First Model of 2021

This model has an air of exactness that I like very much.

Also, the airbrushed finish is superb, with just the right amount of subtle eggshell shine. Weathering/chipping or not is a matter of taste – this machine looks like it's just been delivered to the Geschwader, after just a short hop to test fire the guns.

The impression of authenticity is a wee bit compromised by the markings, I think. To me, the decals look pasted on, since underlying panel joints and hatch outlines have disappeared, as far as I can see from the photos.

This may sound churlish, but when the rest is so close to perfection… 😉

A very impressive A-8!

Kind regards,

Joachim

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

To me, the decals look pasted on, since underlying panel joints and hatch outlines have disappeared, as far as I can see from the photo

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Joachim...  yea I always struggle with decals.  I rolled these out with a q-tip and slit them with exacto along the panel lines...  they could use more decal solvent in places.  I want to pin poke the rivets and hit them with more solvent.  They appeared only from some angles...

The model looked great to my eyes, but after zooming in with the camera phone all the flaws appear!  

One more thing...  Germans use primer, so not too much chipping.  I dry brush the wear on the wings and there are footprints and very fine highlighting of panel edges similar to photo of actual airplane was in very good condition and well maintained.  There still is preshading of panels and it looks good to me...

Edited by Tokyo Raider
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Looks good to me :like: Superb looking FW but you've convinced me to mask and spray the upper wing outline crosses when  I paint mine.

Yes!  Thats the best solution.  This was out of box...  Eduard decals were very good.  I use mr color paints tinted for scale effect and tamiya x22 clear gloss and tamiya flat.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Hi Joachim...  yea I always struggle with decals.  I rolled these out with a q-tip and slit them with exacto along the panel lines...  they could use more decal solvent in places.  I want to pin poke the rivets and hit them with more solvent.  They appeared only from some angles...

The model looked great to my eyes, but after zooming in with the camera phone all the flaws appear!  

One more thing...  Germans use primer, so not too much chipping.  I dry brush the wear on the wings and there are footprints and very fine highlighting of panel edges similar to photo of actual airplane was in very good condition and well maintained.  There still is preshading of panels and it looks good to me...

Hi,

I also like models of planes that don't look like they're overdue for the scrap heap!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

I try and weather per the photos of the real aircraft.  Most German aircraft were very well maintained during operations.

I study alot of photos and have some theorys...

Many of the photos we see of the german planes were taken after capture in fields where they were ravaged by bulldozers and junked for parts.  I also see a difference in aircraft condition between 1944 photos and 1945 after collapse of supporting infrastructure, and when planes were built or reassembled from salvaged parts in despiration (but it was not like this until end of the war).

But check out some of the photos of famous planes like Schnauffer's Bf110g and early me262's in 1944.  The planes are gleaming and polished and flawless.  Same is true of early bf109G's...  they were usually in supurb condition in the mid war years...

So i try to weather a model to the photos of real aircraft i am modelling if possible.  This one has alot of detail work, but not overdone and that makes it looks relatively 'clean' zoomed out to 1/48 scale.

Thanks for your feedback everyone...  i will fix up the decals where i can.  This is my first kit with the fine rivets molded on surface, so i see that need to pin poke each one in some places and hit with solvent...

Edited by Tokyo Raider
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

I try and weather per the photos of the real aircraft.  Most German aircraft were very well maintained during operations.

I study alot of photos and have some theorys...

Many of the photos we see of the german planes were taken after capture in fields where they were ravaged by bulldozers and junked for parts.  I also see a difference in aircraft condition between 1944 photos and 1945 after collapse of supporting infrastructure, and when planes were built or reassembled from salvaged parts in despiration (but it was not like this until end of the war).

But check out some of the photos of famous planes like Schnauffer's Bf110g and early me262's in 1944.  The planes are gleaming and polished and flawless.  Same is true of early bf109G's...  they were usually in supurb condition in the mid war years...

So i try to weather a model to the photos of real aircraft i am modelling if possible.  This one has alot of detail work, but not overdone and that makes it looks relatively 'clean' zoomed out to 1/48 scale.

Thanks for your feedback everyone...  i will fix up the decals where i can.  This is my first kit with the fine rivets molded on surface, so i see that need to pin poke each one in some places and hit with solvent...

Schroder's 'red 19' had just come out of a workshop check and repaint in Nov 44, so would have looked pretty clean in any case.  It only lasted a few more weeks before he force landed it - whereupon it went back to the repair shop and then got re-issued to JG301.  So it would have been 'relatively clean' around that time anyway...

56 minutes ago, Werdna said:

Schroder's 'red 19' had just come out of a workshop check and repaint in Nov 44, so would have looked pretty clean in any case.  It only lasted a few more weeks before he force landed it - whereupon it went back to the repair shop and then got re-issued to JG301.  So it would have been 'relatively clean' around that time anyway...

It certainly had been repainted or retouched up.  On careful study of the art under left side of canopy, many sources show the red 19 as having a dark cast around it like repainted out number.  But it appears to me the area infront of the number was repainted and lighter rlm76, and the art redone with '!' Added.  So I made it like that.  The name on right side was harder to model.  I may touch up the mottle more with some templates to simulate the strange mottling they did.

This was appearance in November '44 after it was first repair shopped like you mentioned...

Edited by Tokyo Raider

36 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

It certainly had been repainted or retouched up.  On careful study of the art under left side of canopy, many sources show the red 19 as having a dark cast around it like repainted out number.  But it appears to me the area infront of the number was repainted and lighter rlm76, and the art redone with '!' Added.  So I made it like that.  The name on right side was harder to model.  I may touch up the mottle more with some templates to simulate the strange mottling they did.

This was appearance in November '44 after it was first repair shopped like you mentioned...

The original (or at least 'previous') tactical code looks like it was painted over with something like RLM02, before the '19' was applied.  It's possible that the 'Kolle Alaaf' inscription on the port side had the '!' added during the repaint.  The starboard side 'Edelgard' inscription (Schroder's girlfriend) was also embellished into a much more elaborate style, most probably at the same time.  The 'string' mottling at the time of the repaint is hard to replicate, which is mainly why I chose to model 'red 19' last year in the earlier markings ;) 

Somewhere online, there is a pic of this a/c wrecked in a forest, wearing a JG301 RVD band.  You can just make out the '19' and cockpit side inscriptions have been painted over..

39 minutes ago, Werdna said:

The original (or at least 'previous') tactical code looks like it was painted over with something like RLM02, before the '19' was applied. 

I think the 19 was not overpainted with the 02.  It doesnt make sence to overpaint a red 19 crudely at the workshop and the repaint a red 19 exactly the same way over the 02 again.

I know many sources say thats what happened.  I looked at how bright the area infront of the 19 became and the kolle alaaf was updated and redone.  It was my interpretation the appearance of the darker color under the 19 came from the lighter clearly fresh rlm76 added under cockpit infront of the number.

I also ended up at this conclusion by wondering why they would repaint the red 19 again over the 02 exactly the same style.  This make modelling fun and the history behind it!  I also considered the earlier schem with just the red bar, but like the red band better.  I wanted to avoid the string mottle on the right side!

53 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

I think the 19 was not overpainted with the 02.  It doesnt make sence to overpaint a red 19 crudely at the workshop and the repaint a red 19 exactly the same way over the 02 again.

No, I didn't mean the '19' was over-painted.  I meant the previous tactical code (whatever it might have been) was over-painted with something like 02 or maybe 77, and then the 19 was added.  The 'November repaint' of 'red 19' seems to have included embellishing the inscriptions (as mentioned), repainting the fuselage balkenkreuze (there is photo evidence that the white borders were previously toned down) and the addition of the 'string' mottling.  There is only evidence of the mottling being added to the starboard side (no known pic of the port side after repaint), although it would be fair to assume that it would have been added both sides, I guess..