My attempt at Me 262 WNr. 111711 bare metal

I have always found this aircraft very attractive in it`s unpainted state. The history is well known, for those who are interested: https://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2017/11/messerschmitt-me-262-1-wnr-111711-at.html

There is also some very good video footage from this aircraft of 1947 in the USA (surprisingly still with swastica on tail): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLk_u7ibSeo

Befor I started I considered this an easy project: NMF finish all over with some panels in RLM02 and hand painted 02 over the puttied panel lines. In fact I had huge problems with the look of the NMF, especially of the nose. Furthermore the NMF and the RLM 02 did not contrast as in the pictures of the real thing. I darkened parts of the rear fuselage with thinned black paint and I lightened the darker front around the cannon bays with light grey. I am still not content with the result, but I stopped further changes in order not to ruin the whole thing.

So here is what I call final result:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking! I am sincerely interested to suggestions and ideas how to do it better.

Volker

• Like 49

24 minutes ago, Werdna said:

Looks great Volker - well done :)

I wouldn't have anything to add on the NMF - you seem to have reproduced the look of the original very well.

I agree. Your model reminds me of pictures I've seen, so I think you did a fine job.

• Like 1

I have always liked the appearance of this airplane as portrayed in the period photos, but never had the nerve to try a bare metal finish with all that RLM02-covered putty. I think you have done an outstanding job and the effect  looks very convincing, all the more so because it's in 1/72 scale! What a labor of love! Well done! :like:

Mike 

• Like 2

That's a fascinating effect. I love the contrast, it looks very convincing in the photos. 

I guess the real thing would have been sanded so the putty would have a scuffed/multi tonal effect. I wonder if you could do the rlm02 as an undercoat, distress it, paint the lines with masking fluid and bmf over it? Not speaking from experience mind, just speculating - and it does look great. 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

That is quite nice, and unusual Volker!  🍻 Striking in its own way too. :clap2:  May I ask if the puttied panel lines are just the brushed on 02 or was that paint applied over something else?  Thanks!

Do you mean the model or the orinal? On the model it is just RLM02 brush painted over Alclad airframe aluminium. On the original I suppose that the panel lines were puttied and the putty was painted over with 02 as a protection. But it is only guess work.

6 hours ago, VolkerR. said:

Do you mean the model or the orinal? On the model it is just RLM02 brush painted over Alclad airframe aluminium. On the original I suppose that the panel lines were puttied and the putty was painted over with 02 as a protection. But it is only guess work.

Yeah, I was asking about the model, sorry I didn't specify that.   😀  Thanks for that info!  🍻

• Like 1

Excellent. I think you've captured that finish really well. My only slight criticism would be the rake of the nosewheel, which should be angled further forward. 

• Like 1

This is a wonderful display of modelling expertise.

FFH

Edited by FatFlyHalf
Typographical cock-up (spellinge errur)
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...