Lukgraph Hawker Nimrod MK.I 1/32 resin kit

Hi, I started working on the Lukgraph Hawker Nimrod MK I and this is actually my first 1/32 kit in decades and then a resin biplane as well. I actually started building 1/48 aircraft and now 1/32 because 1/72 was getting to small for my eyes… and then I found myself making tiny little bolts out of 0,5 mm alu tube with a length of the bolt of 0,3mm for the gun attachment.… and I lost a lot since I could not see them and lost them.

For those interested, there are some shots of what I did in the cockpit till now, as I originally did not plan to do a WIP I did not document each phase. Still I made a couple of shots now and then to show a friend and he asked if I would consider showing them here so here they are. There is some PE in the kit but I decided I wanted a busier office so a lot of scratch building was necessary. Actually, the only PE I used here is the instrument panel but I made the bezels out of Brass tube because photographs show them with bezels and the PE is a bit flat.

Since I provided photographs to aid in the development of the kit I have good documentation to refer to. So as usual I started with the cockpit and had to replace 3 parts s of the 3D printed cage that were not fully printed. Oh well, almost everything was either changed a bit or scratch build with different success. 

Still a lot to do, ammo chutes perhaps and some piece of the fuel tank behind the instrument panel... Just a note, the 3D printed parts show the ridges only when you put primer on them. That stuff is so hard that it is difficult to correct by sanding. The panel behind the pilot seat showed the ridges very clearly. Sanding sticks did not work as well as I hoped. When I put primer on it there were still ridges visible after an extended sanding session. In the end I used my Proxxon tool with a small grinder tool and I finally got a nice smooth surface after passing a last time with a sanding stick. You can still see the 3D effect in the surface of the seat. I did thin the edges of the seat with the grinder in the Proxxon tool. In general the 3D parts are a little rougher than what we are used to with resin but they offer the possibility to ad details in a kit we otherwise might not get.

If you look at the 3D printed cage you can see ridges too but it will sit very low in the fuselage zo I doubt it will be visible. The instruments on the outside of the cage are les detailed since you cannot see them because they press against the sides. I will add the Sutton A harness of RB productions later. Not perfect but I hope you like it… in reality it looks better than on the photographs.

IMG_4997 web

D800 210121 Hawker Nimrod MK I web 0004

D800 210121 Hawker Nimrod MK I web 0024

IMG_5244 web

IMG_5224

IMG_5230 web

IMG_5238 web

IMG_5328 2 web

IMG_5137 web

IMG_5243 web

IMG_5201 web

Parts for the gun mountings

IMG_5325 2 web

IMG_5336 2 web

IMG_5341 2 web

IMG_5339 2 web

Edited by Lightpainter
  • Like 15

Sounds very interesting. Unfortunately the pictures aren't working. But I suspect you know that and are working on it at this very moment. 

I'll check back later. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, noelh said:

Sounds very interesting. Unfortunately the pictures aren't working. But I suspect you know that and are working on it at this very moment. 

I'll check back later. 

Indeed, I saw it the moment I posted. Should be ok now! 

• Thanks 1

Hi Chris, It is very nice! But as with every resin kit it needs a bit more work than an equivalent plastic kit. But that means its double the fun 😅

There actually will not be a lot to see in the cockpit when its closed but I could not help myself 🙂

Edited by Lightpainter
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lightpainter said:

Hi Chris, It is very nice! But as with every resin kit it needs a bit more work than an equivalent plastic kit. But that means its double the fun 😅

There actually will not be a lot to see in the cockpit when its closed but I could not help myself 🙂

At least you know it's there and have the photographic evidence!!!  I am grateful that you posted as it is good to see the bits as they go in rather than interpret from a photo of a crowded cockpit if you know what I mean.   It will be my first 3D printed kit too when I give it a go.

Thanks 

Chris

• Like 2

Hi, I have been working a bit more on the Lukgraph Hawker Nimrod MK.I.

The sides of the cockpit were treated now. And I had to restart the right side... I noticed that I made a mistake in painting the right side of the cockpit in wood/red. My own walkaround photographs of the cockpit had misled me because the metal panel on the right side was taken off for servicing. The Nimrod has wood on the left side and on the floor with green metal strips. The part to the front of the green strips on the left side wil have to repainted too where the metal plate starts as I found out on a new photograph I found. The right side needs to be grey since there is a metal panel on that side as I noticed on a couple of photographs I found in my collection and online.

Here are some test results of a test fit. Still a lot to do in the cockpit But I wanted to see how it would look.

IMG_5432 web

CRW_3407 web

IMG_5434 web

CRW_3406 web

IMG_5439 web IMG_5438 web

• Like 12

Looks impressive, but that fire extinguisher is modern and not what would have been fitted in the 30s. Back then they used brass-bodied Pyrene fire extinguishers filled with Carbon Tetrachloride, which is a banned substance today. They were pumped by hand rather than pressurised by gas.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

Looks impressive, but that fire extinguisher is modern and not what would have been fitted in the 30s. Back then they used brass-bodied Pyrene fire extinguishers filled with Carbon Tetrachloride, which is a banned substance today. They were pumped by hand rather than pressurised by gas.

Hi Roger thank you for the comment, I can still change it if I have a photograph of the original fire extinguisher. Do you have a photograph that you could share? or can you tell me where I could find one?

Edited by Lightpainter

19 minutes ago, Lightpainter said:

Hi Roger thank you for the comment, I can still change it if I have a photograph of the original fire extinguisher. Do you have a photograph that you could share? or can you tell me where I could find one?

Just Google 'pyrene fire extinguisher' and lots of photos come up. They were pretty much standard equipment in planes, tanks and other vehicles in the 30s. They had a 'T' handle at one end which was pumped to discharge the fluid.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

Just Google 'pyrene fire extinguisher' and lots of photos come up. They were pretty much standard equipment in planes, tanks and other vehicles in the 30s. They had a 'T' handle at one end which was pumped to discharge the fluid.

I already did so and found several but it is not entirely clear if they are from WWII or WWI. That said I suppose they might look alike and I wil make one from scratch. It will look a lot better in a bras version! Thank you so much for pointing that out to me.  

20 hours ago, mahavelona said:

Amazing work...

Thank you 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the second part of my Lukgraph Hawker Nimrod MK I build. Cockpit interior is finished now and I am ready to close the body. I added gun feeds, the cockpit hatch closing bar, the bras fire extinghuiser and many more details. For the seatbelts I used the RB Productions Sutton A Harness. Hope you like it!

IMG_5694 web

IMG_5681 web

IMG_5706 web

IMG_5725 web

IMG_5685 web

IMG_5725 web

IMG_5708 web

IMG_5745 web

IMG_5742 web

IMG_5737 web

These parts are just put together to test, at the moment I took the photographs no glue had been applied. It was a last check for the positioning of the details.

IMG_5757 web

IMG_5765 web CRW_3408 web

Edited by Lightpainter
  • Like 9

47 minutes ago, Lightpainter said:

No problem, It probably would have been better not to include those photographs since it gave a wrong impression 😅

They helped show the lovely details better so I am glad you did include them as once closed would have been harder to see

• Like 1

You’ve made an excellent job of the cockpit area Lightpainter, very detailed and realistic. I also have the Nimrod to do but I’ve recently started the Montex/AlleyCat Fury, sadly the instructions are rather vague so your pictures plus Lukas’ wonderful booklet will be my guide since the Nimrod and Fury are pretty similar. 
Max 

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/87501-hawker-fury/

• Like 1