Starting in 1/16 AFV's

Well that was simple enough. Not had chance to test it properly as it is lagging it down outside and the misses doesn't like them being driven in the house (no, i don't understand this either).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late to the party here lol!

I have 5 tanks

T34

Tiger 1

Pershing

Panther

KV1

All are Heng Long "upgrades" and the Panther still needs a paint "upgrade". All the electronics are ripped out in mine and replaced by IBU2's which allow to connect to a "pro" transmitter sytem and have built in sound cards with memory card so the sound sets can be changed. They also have IR and recoiling barrels, servo controlled...again much of that is homebrew alteration - the IBU2 does provide the outputs for the servos but the mechanics were up to me, albeit there are now some kits around.

Pershing was the trickiest as the plastic suspension arms are nasty...that was until RCTanksAustralia started selling metal copies of them.

Tiger has the upgraded Torsion bar suspension....

3 hours ago, scoopey said:

I'm a little late to the party here lol!

I have 5 tanks

T34

Tiger 1

Pershing

Panther

KV1

All are Heng Long "upgrades" and the Panther still needs a paint "upgrade". All the electronics are ripped out in mine and replaced by IBU2's which allow to connect to a "pro" transmitter sytem and have built in sound cards with memory card so the sound sets can be changed. They also have IR and recoiling barrels, servo controlled...again much of that is homebrew alteration - the IBU2 does provide the outputs for the servos but the mechanics were up to me, albeit there are now some kits around.

Pershing was the trickiest as the plastic suspension arms are nasty...that was until RCTanksAustralia started selling metal copies of them.

Tiger has the upgraded Torsion bar suspension....

You might be late but you sound like you know what you're talking about! My tanks are virtually all HL with HL electronics but a couple are Taigen. Of the two, I prefer HL. But I'm interested in the IBU gear and "Pro' Transmitter. Isn't it much more expensive? I have a background in r/c which stretches back to the early 80's but I've never owned a 'computer set' so all my gear is simple by modern standards. If I wanted to go down your route, what modern transmitter do you use? I must admit that it all sounds as though it could get really expensive whereas the HL set up is, frankly, 'cheap'!

Its does get "expensive"

The older IBU and IBU 2 were designed to swap in place of the Hend Long workings...then you just use an RX.

My TX is a Turnigy 9x but modded with the Tank ER9X software from RC Tanks Australia

Technically the IBU requires just a 4 channel TX and not my 8 channel. The Turnigy with the new firmware allows you to use the other channels for different "switched" functions.

For instance I added a RC relay switch which switches the flashing MG LED from the Hull to the turret

Yes it is a bit expensive lol but cheaper than Clarke boards etc.

I did notice on Ian's RC Tank Electronics (UK importer of the IBUs) that he does offer a radio combo. He's often keen to help

https://www.rctankelectronics.com/

Lastly, somewhere in this section I have plans and instructions for making 1/16 Czech Hedgehogs...a card version and a plastic (plastruct version) so you can turn your back garden into the D-Day landings!

Thank you for that. I suppose it takes the hobby to different level? To be honest I have been happy taking a stock HL tank and repainting it 'properly' using and extending my painting skill set. I now have 7 complete tanks and another half dozen 'waiting'. The biggest problem is that I don't actually have anywhere to operate them. I could go to a park but I'd feel a complete idiot and there don't seem to be any clubs anywhere nearby! I can see myself completing my tank projects and then selling everything on as I've got my kick out of refinishing them!

• 2 weeks later...

Update…

After 2 weeks away in sunny Cornwall I’ve got to playing with the tanks again.

Stiffening up the springs on the Challenger seems to have sorted the sprocket jumping issue, for indoor use anyway. As a result I’ve been able to set the speed to “speedy” so that it is a) quicker than the WW2 tanks and b) can slide on wooden floors 🙂 !!!

I haven’t tried it in the garden yet because next doors cat has “mined” my lawn and I’m waiting for a downpour to wash away any residue that I didn’t get with the shovel.

Also, I find myself drawn to the Leopard 2A6. I keep looking at the Abrams too, but it has the aesthetics of a crushed shoe box, so I’m not warming to it.

Glad that you’re back in one piece but a pity about the minefield. I’ve just finished a Panzer  IV and put it into store but I’ve got some aeroplanes that I’ve promised myself to get finished by Christmas so the tanks can wait until the new year. The Leopard 2A6 is a very sexy machine and the Germans have done very well at selling it to other countries so there are options for camouflage jobs if that’s your thing. It turns out that although the Leopard looks the part, it’s not as well armoured as a Chally so at least we got some things right !!

Got round to chucking the packaging for the Challenger out today and accidentally read the instructions. Now I know why I couldn't get the smoker working properly.

Note to all Challenger 2 owners who haven't read the instructions: Read the instructions.

• 3 months later...
42 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Looking at getting a Leopard. The deals that were around in September seem to have vanished. 😐

Ah!!

I think I’ve stopped buying tanks now. Having said that I have 7 to ‘bring up to scratch’ so that’s an M1, Chally 2, Leo, Stug III and then a Sherman Firefly conversion , Jagdpanzer IV conversion and Grant conversion so I’m not exactly ‘in need’!!

14 minutes ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Get a sexy one! Get the Stug III!:clap:

Cheers

LM

I was disappointed by the Stug as it comes. It’s not very big - Panzer III hull of course. The worst bit was how Heng Long decide that there will be a flashing Machine gun LED in the middle of the drivers visor!! I will remove that and try to come up with maybe a fibre optic for the loaders hatch - the one on the right hand side of the roof. It’s just HL trying to give it a machine gun to go with the sound effect but I wish they’d done it better - and I’m not aware of an aftermarket MG34 fitted with a fibre optic centre to the barrel. Ah well

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The shop selling the S7 assures me that it will be IR Mode compatible with the S6. 

Question is what to buy... I fancy a Leopard 2A6 but my lad wants the M4 Sherman. He's not contributing anything towards the cost though.

The thing that puts me off the Sherman is all of the "bits" that are stuck to it. What actually held the spare wheels and bits of track to the sloping front hull? I want a degree of realism with my toy tanks or it will "bother" me.

I've got both. With the Sherman a lot of the bits and pieces are held on with double sided tape! I ended up making webbing straps for the various packs so that there is something to drape. Its okay with regard to the stuff on the engine deck but the Sherman had thin steel rails welded onto the turret sides so that things could be hung off them. In Normandy some Sherman's had, effectively, chicken wire attached to the turret sides into which bits of foliage and so on could be fixed. Best to read around the Sherman subject. On the front plate a horizontal strip - wooden plank or maybe steel I think - was fitted to a bracket either side, fitted to the inside of the track guards so there was a sort of 'shelf' so that stuff could be piled onto it, fuel cans, bogies etc. Again, look at photos, you'll get the idea. 

In terms of size, the Leopard is considerably bigger - think Chally and Abrams - plus it has a very 'modern' turret shape. The on/off switch is under a hatch on the engine deck, quite close to the turret and the turret needs to be turned 10-15 degrees to one side otherwise you can't open the hatch! In many ways the Sherman is easier to 'rough up' but Heng Long chose to model an unusual version - the 105mm howitzer variety - so not a bog standard troop tank and the British Army only used them for training in the UK, if you're after a UK tank. I have a standard kit Sherman plus another two - one for a Firefly conversion and the other for an M3 Grant.

Which would I choose ? The Leopard is a pretty sexy looking machine so I'd go for that if I could only choose one!

• 2 months later...