Starting in 1/16 AFV's

1 hour ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Ooops! Just got a Leopard 2A6 with the 6.0S controls for £105 on Amazon! 

Get In. 

Now I think you’ll like that - sexy tank!! If I remember rightly then turret needs to be turned 10-15 degrees to the left so that you can lift the hatch on the engine deck to turn it on!! I haven’t had mine out for ages but it was that HL thing!! Just a good looking tank imho!!

The grass has been cut short so mine have been garden battling. The IR transmitter on my T34 has packed up though. Hopefully just a loose connection or a dead LED and not a failure in the main board.

5 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

The grass has been gut short so mine have been garden battling. The IR transmitter on my T35 has packed up though. Hopefully just a loose connection or a dead LED and not a failure in the main board.

Could be the sky is too bright for it? I’ve heard that said before about IR sensors. Does it work at closer range?

1 hour ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Dunno, the other tanks were all working.

I'll check by filming it with my phone as the camera can "see" the LED flashing when the naked eye can't.

Ah, the joys of technology! But it sounds like you’re right though - what a pain.

Spare LED with lead and plug is less than the price of 2 bags of vending machine crisps. 

Hopefully pulling the thing apart and replacing it won't be too bad. I've had the top off the T34 before, but never been in the turret. 

The Leopard was 131.25 bags of crisps, which is still pretty cheap.

Tank has arrived!

P1090100.jpg

P1090102.jpg

However, one of the headlights doesn't work. Seller has already contacted me and will hopefully sort me with a spare so I'll need to figure out how to remove the dud and break out the soldering iron.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Tank has arrived!

P1090100.jpg

P1090102.jpg

However, one of the headlights doesn't work. Seller has already contacted me and will hopefully sort me with a spare so I'll need to figure out how to remove the dud and break out the soldering iron.

That looks great! Very unusual for an LED to fail - not withstanding the IR emitter in your T-34! I assume you've checked the solder connections to the faulty one? Could be a dry joint?

16 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

....and now it is working again!

Perhaps something is out of alignment and a combination of dismantling, bad language and toothache has sorted it.

Intermittent fault - the worst kind!!

ps my reply to you vanished!! I was pointing f you in the direction of spare motor/gearboxes on eBay and also suggesting Forgebear and Welshdragon. That unit is probably used on several HL tanks but the ones I saw yesterday were from the RX18 MSU era, not 6.0 so you need to check the physical characteristics and maybe change plugs?

I ordered one out of frustration last night, the RX18 one on eBay. It looks the same.

I've just sent them a rapid email to ask if it will work with 6.0s.

Getting hacked off now!

5 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

I ordered one out of frustration last night, the RX18 one on eBay. It looks the same.

I've just sent them a rapid email to ask if it will work with 6.0s.

Getting hacked off now!

I bet!! If it looks the same then it probably is, the only thing might be the plug but you’ll know soon enough! 

• 1 year later...

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

The BB unit on my Heng Long T34/85 (6.0S control) has developed a fault. I think that the microswitch has failed, so whilst the gun fires the sequence for recoil, sound and the IR doesn’t complete.

Spares are available, but are all BB units the same?

I’ve contacted three vendors with the question over eBay but nobody has responded.

55 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

The BB unit on my Heng Long T34/85 (6.0S control) has developed a fault. I think that the microswitch has failed, so whilst the gun fires the sequence for recoil, sound and the IR doesn’t complete.

Spares are available, but are all BB units the same?

I’ve contacted three vendors with the question over eBay but nobody has responded.

To be honest I don't know but you would tend to think that HL would keep on using the same bits! Probably best to wait until you get a response!

Thanks. Taken a punt and ordered one. It was less than a tenner including delivery so not the end of the world if it doesn't fit. I need to have all tanks running for next weekend.

12 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Thanks. Taken a punt and ordered one. It was less than a tenner including delivery so not the end of the world if it doesn't fit. I need to have all tanks running for next weekend.

Best of luck - nothing quite like deadline. I assume that there will be tears before bedtime if all the tanks aren't up and running??

36 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Not my tears. 3 are going but I never fixed the T34 from last year. Time to get it sorted.

@Simon Cornes Are you still running your fleet?

Fair enough. To answer your question - No - but I know where they all are!! I have 8 done with 7 to do but having a bit of a rest from tanks. The problem is that I don’t have anything to do with them after they’re finished - run to make sure they’re working as intended then into storage box, batteries out!!

Ah. Mine usually have a solo trawl around the garden, but every now and again they all get used at the same time, with a couple of Tamiya buggies thrown in for added chaos.

Interesting fact: A Tamiya Mad Bull going at full chat can do a considerable amount of damage to a Heng Long T34. I know this for a fact.

• Haha 2

Just reading through this thread on the Heng Long RC tanks. My son wants one but I'm hesitant to get him one since he doesn't use the 3 or is it 4 other rc cars he already has.  

He's built a couple: a Grasshopper 2, Lunch Box Mini and he helped me out on my latest Clod Buster so he knows what he's doing. Just don't know if it'll keep his interest long enough. 

Anyways great read and glad to see more of the RC side of the hobby here. 

Carl