Starting in 1/16 AFV's

24 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

What a talent - to be able to write in Cyrillic !!

Apparently yes. : D

I just copied the kit decal. 

I think it looks suitably "ratty".

P1060287.jpg

P1060288.jpg

P1060289.jpg

On 07/04/2021 at 09:29, Simon Cornes said:

I think you’re right. I’m mainly an aeroplane modeller and this foray into tanks has shown me how well the aeroplane modellers is served by the aftermarket. Tanks seem to be more of a cottage industry where you really need a pretty good general knowledge about your subject matter. I bought a couple of sets of decals from Forgebear and the instructions really don’t tell me enough- but I managed. I think the value with the website is that there are half a dozen or so people who are really helpful when it comes to getting questions asked. On BM there seem to be legions who pipe up with something useful. All good fun though isn’t it?!!

Yes it certainly is! I used to build planes and I'm a complete newbie to R/C Tanks. The aftermarket stuff for planes pretty much replaces kit parts, but in this case i'm adding additional stuff as an option and the guys that make it assume you know exactly what you are at from word go. I'll ask for help along the way, and joined a couple of other forums as recommended. 

41 minutes ago, Whitewolf said:

Yes it certainly is! I used to build planes and I'm a complete newbie to R/C Tanks. The aftermarket stuff for planes pretty much replaces kit parts, but in this case i'm adding additional stuff as an option and the guys that make it assume you know exactly what you are at from word go. I'll ask for help along the way, and joined a couple of other forums as recommended. 

The thing is, I've not deserted aeroplanes, I'm just side-tracked for awhile! The weekend before Easter I bought a Panzer IV with Taigen metal running gear and tracks and metal gearboxes with Taigen radio installed. I had it fire top this morning and it runs well but my purchase also included the 'schurzen' side and turret armour plate so I want to find a tank with that fitted and refinish it ins the appropriate markings. At the same time I also picked up a Sherman Firefly conversion - a good one by a company called DGS Military Hobby in Canada (beware, you can buy a Firefly from Haya in South Wales but it isn't a proper Firefly and it costs £100 more than a standard Heng Long Sherman! And a Jagdpanzer IV conversion also found its way onto my round of purchases but thats another fascinating vehicle and I will require a HL Panzer IV to use the conversion with. It has agricultural quantities of resin!! All being well, after I've got this out of my system, I'll be able to get on with the 1/32 AV-8B and Harrier GR5 I am building as a side by side project! 

Too many projects, too little time!

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

The thing is, I've not deserted aeroplanes, I'm just side-tracked for awhile! The weekend before Easter I bought a Panzer IV with Taigen metal running gear and tracks and metal gearboxes with Taigen radio installed. I had it fire top this morning and it runs well but my purchase also included the 'schurzen' side and turret armour plate so I want to find a tank with that fitted and refinish it ins the appropriate markings. At the same time I also picked up a Sherman Firefly conversion - a good one by a company called DGS Military Hobby in Canada (beware, you can buy a Firefly from Haya in South Wales but it isn't a proper Firefly and it costs £100 more than a standard Heng Long Sherman! And a Jagdpanzer IV conversion also found its way onto my round of purchases but thats another fascinating vehicle and I will require a HL Panzer IV to use the conversion with. It has agricultural quantities of resin!! All being well, after I've got this out of my system, I'll be able to get on with the 1/32 AV-8B and Harrier GR5 I am building as a side by side project! 

Too many projects, too little time!

Sounds good! I understand the Taigen Panzer IV with metal upgrades is a really nice tank! That's perhaps for the future.... I got sidetracked and will go back to planes. But this is something I've thought about doing for a while and decided to give it a go. A change is as good as rest as they say!

I asked a Russian colleague what the Heng Long text that I copied on to the T34 said, and he told me that it was wrong! 

Will have to break out to the paint brush again.

Guess which idiot dropped the radio for his Tiger One. There's £30 that I won't see again.

Luckily Howes had them in stock.

Anyway, patriotic messages improved by my Russian colleague. For the Motherland!... For Stalin!

IMG-20210409-171532426-HDR.jpg

IMG-20210409-171546217-HDR.jpg

Ah, the Law of S-d applies!! I have a fair collection of Heng Long transmitters now! Is yours that badly damaged then? Probably worth trying to repair it if you can.

Glad you have corrected your cyrillic now!

This is Heng Long right? So when the tank is switched on the headlights are flashing? 

So I’d first of all switch everything off

Next turn on just the transmitter 

Press and hold the padlock button (start) and then switch on the tank with the on-off switch and you should hear the engine start

Thats pretty much what you’ve said isn’t it? Straight from the HL instructions. If it still doesn’t work, try the Tiger transmitter? It could be something up with your replacement transmitter?

Just tried that. Tank fired up on the other transmitter. Other tank wouldn't fire up on the new transmitter. 

@Simon Cornes Have you bought a replacement radio and tried to pair it with another tank?

I've noticed some subtle differences between the original radio and the replacement. The graphic on the front, the trim (?) under the right stick moves, there is no 6.0S sticker on the back, it doesn't "beep" when switched on and maybe most significantly the circuit board inside is different.

Yet whenever I google "replacement 6.0 series radio for Heng Long" I get an image of the replacement that I received today.

Maybe it is the wrong radio, the 5.3 is externally the same. The chap at the model shop that sold me the original and the replacement who "understands radios" will be in tomorrow. I'll give him a call.

I think it’s very likely that he sold you a transmitter for a 5.3. At least you know the tank is okay anyway. I think you might be best having a transmitter for each tank as I’ve heard it said that some systems don’t take kindly to multiple rebounding. Frankly, that’s a pity because it would be good to have one transmitter and multiple tanks - as you can with more expensive computer sets but I don’t mind having multiple transmitters - I only need a couple of sets of Duracell’s 

Update: They sent me the wrong radio which is an easy error to make given that they look the same other than a blue paper sticker on the battery box cover. New radio in the post, other radio going back.

Excellent customer service from Howes. 

Spent a wad of cash with these guys over lockdown on various RC big boy's toys. Will definitely use them again (the Sherman is at a tempting price, but out of stock, don't tell my wife!).

I know, I saw them at £115 plus postage a month or so back but didn’t buy one but I have a good working relationship with Wicked Imports- who manly sell on ebay and online so I bought a pair of Sherman’s for £250, which is okay in my book!! I use the www.rctankwarfare.co.uk group and also the 1/16 rc tank group on Facebook. I managed to pick up a Firefly conversion at a decent price so I’ll use that with one of the new Sherman’s and the other will be for an M3 Grant conversion- when I can get one that is!! These radio controlled tanks can be addictive!!

2 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

They've got a Challenger II in at a pretty good price too.

Definitely not got space for one of them.

Excellent - you have a good reason not to buy one! I have a garage so I'm lost!!