Starting in 1/16 AFV's

To true regarding sales - a case of 'buyer beware' and thats not fair in itself! That was one reason why I bought new - a review said that the LH V6 set up is better than the likes of Taigen but that suggests that if you buy a second hand tank with 27MHz gear then it may have disappointing sound effects fir example - as long as it doesn't sound like an arcade game though!!

Regarding photos, I used to use Photobucket but essen that went silly a few years ago I stopped so, I dont think I can upload straight from an iPhone so I don't bother anymore!!

So far I have watched the Tiger videos of the Tank museums own - grief, what a machine! Then there was another about repainting their Tigers and that was quite interesting to. The trouble is I am normally so busy with one thing or another that I don't want to sit for half an hour or more watching a video!!

10 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Ooh, glad to see you’ve made the most of the weather!! 

You must PM me with details of your European supplier - could be useful!!

When you had the top off yours did it have nylon or steel gears? Specs are different depending on which shop you look at even though the model is the same.

Just a "heads up" on the prices for Heng Long tanks from motionrc.eu.

Don't forget to add VAT and a handling fee (£12 or 2.5%, whichever is the greater). This will be charged separately by FedEx.

There is also a surcharge for Lithium batteries.

This information has come from the seller.

By my calculation a tank listed at €139 will end up costing £158.

I’m afraid it’s the way of hinges now but, yes, if Hannants can show a price with and without tax then you would think this lot could! I thought the retailer had to pay the tax for you anyway!

I’m still working on my Tiger. Just finished the spraying the basic 3 colour camouflage. I’m waiting for some masks to arrive from Hannants so that I can spray the turret numbers and German crosses and then it will be on to weathering. I’ve sinned though because I bought a ‘spares or repair’ HL Panther and an MSW (the radio control arm of Trumpeter/Hobby Boss it turns out) T-34 but I hope to stop buying any more until this new pair are sorted out!! This tank thing is quite addictive !!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking of venturing into R/C having built static models for many years! Have seen the HL models but am considering one of the all option Tamiya King Tigers? Have seen many of the Tiger 1s over the years but fancy an Ardennes machine and note Tamiya actually give you markings for '204' the personal King Tiger of a certain very famous commander......has anyone built one of these?

Well the Tamiya Tiger I is superb but costs at least 4 times as much as the Heng Long version! The HL tank is reckoned to be a good 'taster' to see if you can get on with an r/c tank without shelling out too much. Its actually a rip off of the Tamiya kit so is pretty good but it's an early Tiger with the 'high' commanders cupola and the original road wheels - the later ones having concentric pressings, if you know what I mean. There is one flaw with the kit and that is that the barrel is modelled in the 'recoiled' position so is actually a bit short. You can buy an extension piece if you want to get it 100% right. I would refer you to the Forgebear website and also WelshDragon Models. Both are good. Also have a look at the rctankwarfare website. You can get aftermarket decals as well (Forgebear again, amongst others)

For around £150 you get a very good and pretty complete r/c Tiger I with the Heng Long kit. Be aware that the current kit - with V6.0 radio gear - is the one to get. Earlier versions have far less user friendly radio gear, as I have discovered don't ask how!! 

I got mine via eBay from a company based in Crewe and it was delivered within 48 hours of ordering! Be careful, this game is addictive - I now have 6 tanks!!! Look back to when I started responding to this thread!

That will be tremendous tank. I picked up a Matorro 1/16 King Tiger at the weekend. It was superbly finished by the original builder and this particular tank came complete with a zimmerit anti magnetic mine surface. I don’t know how the Tamiya KT is finished but I know that the Heng Long version - costing around £270 all in - has a smooth surface finish and that didn’t float my boat. I’m in the process of installing Heng Long’s latest radio gear into it as the stuff it came with is not the best but if you are set on a Tamiya machine, well you know you are getting something superb! Mind you I suspect that it costs a bit more than my old machine! But it will fall together I’m sure!

On 09/03/2021 at 20:54, Simon Cornes said:

Be careful, this game is addictive - I now have 6 tanks!!! Look back to when I started responding to this thread!

Six! You need to post a picture!

Still waiting for the HL Panzer G to come back in stock then I will stop at two. More for storage reasons than anything else.

I have noticed that my lad had cleared a space on his bedroom shelves just big enough for a couple of tanks.

I would gladly post pictures but I stopped using photobucket when they decided to charge. In an ideal world I would just upload direct from my iPhone!

The King Tiger wasn’t perfect. The seller - who hadn’t built it - had to replace the rear panel with probably a Heng Long one so it was in dark green instead of the ‘ambush’ camouflage of the rest of the tank. The radio in your Tiger and the forthcoming Panther is known as V6.0 . The King Tiger had an earlier (RX18) set of which is nowhere near as good so I bought a new Heng Long from Forgebear and installed it. A bit of soldering required but it makes a huge difference. I have learnt that the radio fit is key when it comes to buying second hand. I had previously bought a Panther via eBay, not knowing that it was a Pan-Tiger - unlike your Panther G, this is an upper hull made to fit a Tiger lower hull. I spent a fair amount of money trying to sort out the mess that was the radio gear and it ultimately cost me more than your Panther is costing you and for something not actually accurate. Lesson learnt - know what you’re buying!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ooops. Just accidentally bought at T34/85.

Looking forward to having a scuffle in the woods behind my house with the Tiger 1.

Covid is a terrible, terrible thing, but I've never had so much money to spend on toys and my bikes are all working perfectly!

These things happen! I assume you've bought a Heng Long T34/85? I picked up a WSN T34. WSN is the r/c arm of Trumpeter/Hobbyboss so the plastic is good - you can get it as a static model with full interior. Put the r/c version is atrocious!! If you have bought HL then you will have a great tank, like the Tiger I. I have recently finished a Sherman and that drives really well and the speed control is excellent too. Only snag was that, after I stripped the tracks and suspension off for painting I realised that I had 4 right hand units and 2 left! I hadn't noticed when the tank was complete - I must have assumed it was correct and thought no more of it. Luckily I was able to swap a right hand unit for a left hand one with a guy who was modifying his anyway so that the idler on the top of each unit was in the centre, not to the rear as in later units. I have almost finished the refinishing of a Heng Long Jagdpanther - one of my favourite SPG's. I just need to get hold of some Balkankreuz's and then I can get in with it. The r/c tank market is nowhere near as well served as the aircraft modelling market! 

By the way JoNZ - love the Stug! Thats exactly the look I'm going to aim for when I do one. How did you do the side 'schertzen' ? Scratch build or aftermarket ? 

Yeah, a Heng Long. I was after a Panther G, but changed my mind as it looks a bit "toy like" compared to the T34. 

Apparently there is a boat load coming in from China later this month. The one a I got was on eBay, but it was the only one they had.

On 10/03/2021 at 20:15, Simon Cornes said:

That will be tremendous tank. I picked up a Matorro 1/16 King Tiger at the weekend. It was superbly finished by the original builder and this particular tank came complete with a zimmerit anti magnetic mine surface. I don’t know how the Tamiya KT is finished but I know that the Heng Long version - costing around £270 all in - has a smooth surface finish and that didn’t float my boat. I’m in the process of installing Heng Long’s latest radio gear into it as the stuff it came with is not the best but if you are set on a Tamiya machine, well you know you are getting something superb! Mind you I suspect that it costs a bit more than my old machine! But it will fall together I’m sure!

Thanks, I jumped in and got the kit complete with radio on a deal. After reading a few things about the kit I decided to go for metal tracks......it transpires Tamiya did a set for the kit but they are no longer in production! Only two other sets actually fit the kit sprockets as they come, and after a lot of searching I managed to get a set by a Kenny Kong and they are on the way. But as I understand it the kit is not altogether happy on metal tracks so I've had to get drive shaft supports, rear idler track tensioner and a gearbox support/strengthener. I want to do a Pzbt 501 Tiger in the Ardennes, and research has revealed numerous Tanks wore differing variations in camo schemes (based on the ambush scheme, but with /without dots and differing patterns/shades) an interesting book called Tigers in the Ardennes details a number of vehicles and the schemes they are actually known to have worn.

Edited by Whitewolf

Sounds like an interesting project. It’s a pity that you have got to spend a lot more on the tank though. I am coming from the direction of keeping a lid on the costs and only updating if I need to. I don’t know if your tank has steel gears (not ‘metal’) but apparently you need steel if you’re going to use metal tracks and running gear - presumably because there’s more load on the gear teeth. Having said all that, a metal tank is a heavier tank and will probably go off road much better than mine - horses for courses eh?