Starting in 1/16 AFV's

Good - that’s sorted that! I have now adjusted my transmitter so I have forward and reverse on the right stick! I still want to reverse the gun elevation as it makes more sense to have the barrel going up when I pull the stick back!

I asked Steve at Welsh Dragon about how to get into the hull. He told me to unscrew the screws on the underside but to be careful because some held the gearboxes. There are only 4 holes that look like they might have screws at the bottom so I’ll have to have a ferret! Maybe they’ve changed the design? I’ve sent him a photo to see what he says before I wreck everything!! 

I’ve cracked it. The hull top is held on by six Phillips head self tappers. 4 are visible on the underside around the battery box. The other 2 are hidden under the spare track fastened to the front plate. This is held on by a click for towards either end and can be unclipped by careful leverage. Undo the 2 screws there and the top comes off - oh you have to disconnect the 4 black vinyl pipes on the engine deck to - just push fits. Of course the turret electrics are held onto the receiver by a fair loom of wires but you get a good idea of what does what. I’ve taken reference photos to refer back to. Glad that’s sorted though!!

I picked up a Henglong Sherman a year or so ago as a bit of fun and as a large canvas for painting etc - one think that made a HUGE difference was texturing the turret with Mr Surfacer - it transformed the model - was great fun and I can chase the cat with it!

TT

• Haha 1

I think we all seem to go down the 'Bit of fun' route - and why not!! You get a lot of tank for your money that's for sure!! Not sure about chasing cats though!! Interesting what you say about Mr Surfacer. I'm hoping that Tamiya acrylic will sit nicely on the standard Panzer Grey!

• Like 1

Hey, that looks the part!! I have to wait for paint to be in stock!! I cleaned up the commander figure. I thought he was moulded in green plastic but no, sand coloured!! Arms cleaned up and reattached and he’s peering out of the turret right now, waiting for his arm joints to harden! I think he should have black overalls but then a field grey hat but I’ve got to do my research. ETA for the Osprey Tiger book is in about a months time !! I’ll have to be patient I suppose.

131 at Bovington is painted.

To be honest I'm not really too concerned as this is basically a garden toy for me and the kids (mostly me). I just wanted it to look a bit more lifelike. The H L paint job is fine, but it is too flat on the bigger surfaces so I added a bit of "filth" where it would have been walked over, some fuel spills and some rust on the numerous clips and clamps where things have been fitted.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fblog.tiger-tank.com%2Ftiger-131%2Fwhy-tiger-131%2F&psig=AOvVaw34sESDx-osWwdYE2nQw7R2&ust=1611914009173000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPjG2umtvu4CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

I think you have the right attitude - its a first tank, 'improve' it as much - or as little - as you want to and then go and have fun with it. If you've worn it out after 6 months then you've really enjoyed it! I'm taking a different tack - I want to change the colour scheme but there's a limit to my ambition. When Ive done what I want that may be enough for me. It may get used infrequently but I've scratched the itch. When you dig into the kit - I'm using the rctankwarfare site - you find that there are lots of things you can 'correct' and spend money on doing so but the thing about an r/c tank is that, because it also moves about, you can decide to replace the road wheels or lengthen the gun barrel - or whatever - whenever you want to do it and just touch up the paint job - its not like you need to do a complete respray as you would with a scale aeroplane for example. 

I think the most important thing is to keep it simple whilst everything is new, otherwise it becomes a money pit which might just switch you off the entire thing!!

Just my opinion as a 'beginner' in this field!

Ha Ha!! I noticed the Sherman too. Looks good and I think the suspension system is interesting. I saw an M3 Grant conversion on the rctankwarfare site - wow, that was Impressive and a step too far for me at the moment! I have my Tiger in pieces at the moment to change the colour scheme and tweak a few bits - all good fun!

They look even better with mud in the tracks, but I doubt that'll ever be able to run it indoors again.

Thinking of going down the "Fury" route with the Sherman. I know that it isn't the right tank but I would like to source the longer barrel eventually.

The American 76mm gun is the equivalent to the Firefly but with a modified version of the 3" gun on the M10 tank destroyer in a new turret, not a modified 75mm one. Here is a link to 1 of the 76mm turret conversions(I have seen cheaper ones) -

https://www.hayaltd.co.uk/Torro_116_RC_Sherman_M4A3_Metal_Turret_76mm_360_Rotation_BB/p191100_18840848.aspx

This video is a good description of the 76mm sherman and its weapons -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmMynoZxVKA&t=2375s

Is that the Panzer IV? Looks like another impressive model! I expect the Sherman will creep in later!! I'm having fun giving my Tiger new clothes - well, a respray. Its now in Dessert yellow prior to the green and red-brown going on (when my Osprey reference book turns up!) I have the running gear off but ready to put back on again. I used a tin of Halfords Nissan Gunmetal for the tracks. You are supposed to be able to split the tracks by pushing one of the joining pins out - from the outside in ) but it worked with one track but not the other. On that basis, fitting the track and then joining it seems difficult. I will see how I go on with the 'unsplit' one an then decide! I have the commander to paint of course! I discovered that the grey paint the tank comes in takes Tamiya XF paint airbrushed on perfectly well without a primer coat. Useful to know!

Got any photos?

The Sherman was always going to be a compromise as it wasn't "Fury" and I wasn't going spend £100+ modifying it. The Panzer looks mean. That'll do for me and me lad.

People don't make it easy when they are trying to sell these things as hardly anyone lists the revision of the control system or whether it has IR.

My brief foray into tanks has lead me to the "Top 5" videos from The Tank Museum. Recommended if you haven't already seen them.