IA 58A/D Pucara 1:48

Mike

Oh my! How I wish I could get my claws on Kinetic's Pucará! But last time I ordered something from abroad, Correo Argentino ended up delivering my parcel to someone else (who was kind enough to contact me via Facebook for her to give me my parcel).

• Like 2

On 24/01/2021 at 21:29, bigbadbadge said:

I have checked out the link and crikey it is a bit much for me

Tell you what, Chris, it's not that far off the scale. Not as much as I feared as I clicked the link with some trepidation. 

If you work it out as the equivalent of numbers of pots /bottles of alclad or similar...... 🤔

Or a supply of that famous but scarce buffing powder that is occasionally seen on here. 

It's the preparation of the surface that is going to be the nightmare. One micron, eh?? That's not going to be any help for the likes of me! 

Love the look of the Pucara, and the kit looks like a gem💎👍

• Like 2

Here's an interesting article that I stumbled on a minute ago. Several pictures that may be useful for reference. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gacetaeronautica.com/gaceta/wp-102/%3Fp%3D5547&ved=2ahUKEwi1sIPRnLjuAhUHTcAKHYDUATIQFjAhegQIJhAB&usg=AOvVaw25mnMNkCOtugG8yVPlKTxC&cshid=1611617953210

Crikey that looks complicated. Hope it works..... 😯

• Like 2

Looking forwards to the next update. It's an aircraft which is long overdue in mainstream 1/48, and it looks like Kinetic have done it justice - so far 🙂

The build is looking good too 👍

The Chrome paint looks intriguing; There's an automotive 'chrome' finish which may or may not be similar - it would be interesting to see a comparison.

They also emphasize the importance of a mirror finish to spray onto. No different to the real chrome plating process I guess.

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Here's an interesting article that I stumbled on a minute ago. Several pictures that may be useful for reference. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gacetaeronautica.com/gaceta/wp-102/%3Fp%3D5547&ved=2ahUKEwi1sIPRnLjuAhUHTcAKHYDUATIQFjAhegQIJhAB&usg=AOvVaw25mnMNkCOtugG8yVPlKTxC&cshid=1611617953210

Crikey that looks complicated. Hope it works..... 😯

Some hilarious US prejudices / misconceptions in that article.  I bet the Paras would be especially thrilled to be described as 2nd Parachute Battalion Royal Marines.  And why is it that so many Americans are convinced that the UK is perpetually shrouded in fog?

A little update on the cockpit to close the day.  I'm tired, so I'd better stop before I screw things up. :tired:

I've done some of the cockpit detail painting, but still have a bit more to do.  I want to put some Airscale decals in the dials, and add a bit more detail to the side consoles and sidewalls before I consider it finished.  The seats are almost done, and although I've seen some with grey cushions and green parachute box, I thought I'd do it in reverse for the hell of it, and the fact that I saw a Mk.6 in those colours.

spacer.png

I've probably got some bits wrong, and could have added a few extra bits from scratch built parts, but I'm trying to keep it close to OOB, and I don't want to stall another build.  More tomorrow, all being well.  Night night :bye:

• Like 18

Interesting kit, great progress btw. You've made me regress nearly 40 years, I remember seeing a pretty beat up war trophy example at Yeovilton Airshow. I'm doubting my memory now, but I'm sure it was '82. I remember standing under the wing of one of the Vulcans that was part of the operation to bomb Port Stanley as well, and meeting her crew! Somewhere I have some blurry point and press photos ... (Don't hold your breath, 9 year old me wasn't much of a photographer then)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hopkp said:

Just curious re. the ejection seats - does Kinetic supply lap belts on the etched fret or just the ones for the seat backs?

No lap belts were included.  I noticed that the other day when I was applying them, but I haven't bothered doing anything about it yet... I'll probably forget again shortly too :dunce:

6 hours ago, Mike said:

No lap belts were included.  I noticed that the other day when I was applying them, but I haven't bothered doing anything about it yet... I'll probably forget again shortly too :dunce:

Thanks for the info. - odd omission by Kinetic, but I guess there are plenty of 'general' etched sets around that can supply them!

I'm half way through decaling the instrument panels with Airscale dials, which is a bit tricky, because the space for the decals is a bit small, and there are quite a few unusual instruments such as the twin engine dials that are squeezed into one dial space.  I'm making progress though, and should be finished soon.  In the meantime I've been doing a few other bits and bobs.  I've prepped the gear bays and added a coat of Gunze Mr Metal Chrome Silver, which is far from it.  It's a kind of dull silvery finish over matt black primer, which suits my needs, as the bays all seem to be that colour, as do the wheel hubs.  I'm prepping the gear bay doors too, as they're the same colour.  Here's a quick shot of the three bays after a quick squirt, before a gloss coat and wash.  The detail really pops out under a coat of paint :)

spacer.png

I need to mask up the legs where I've painted them Mirror chrome, then I can look for a lightish green to finish them off.

• Like 10

This looks pretty damn good.

Is there a specific name for this type of aircraft? And by "this" I mean the Pucara, the Cessna Strikemaster, OV-10 Bronco, OV-1 Mohawk. Small planes that seem to carry a fairly big stick to pummel the enemy with. They really appeal to me for some reason.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Basosz said:

This looks pretty damn good.

Is there a specific name for this type of aircraft? And by "this" I mean the Pucara, the Cessna Strikemaster, OV-10 Bronco, OV-1 Mohawk. Small planes that seem to carry a fairly big stick to pummel the enemy with. They really appeal to me for some reason.

COIN COunter INsurgency, Reconnaissance, and patrol is usually the titles placed on these types

• Like 2

Progress has been made, although much of it doesn't really show up yet.  I painted the back of the canopy siderails then glued them into the canopy with a mixture of GS-Hypo, which was then backed up by wicking in some CA once the GS had cured a bit.  The canopy was then masked inside and out, which was quite a long job, taking about an hour from end to end, and including the windscreen, which I'd forgotten about until I thought I'd finished That will need to be glued in fairly soon, so painting it now and installing the HUD is a necessity soon.  Here's a quite pic of the finished clear parts, and the two instrument panels as they appear now with most of the dial decals in place.  I've got a few more to do, but don't look too closely as most of them are "closest match" from both the Cold War and Modern Jets sheets from Airscale.

cockpit5.jpg

I've also glossed the gear bays and their doors, wheel hubs and the cockpit tub ready for a wash to bring out the details.  I've also picked out a pale green (Gunze H50) to act as the base coat for the gear legs, which I'll lighten slightly with subsequent coats.  Got to mask up the oleos, so I'm going to gloss those to protect them too.

• Like 7

Been beavering away at the sub-assemblies, and am finally getting somewhere.  I painted the gear legs green as above after masking up the oleos, which will come off once I've matted down the green and added some brake hoses.  The tyres need some shading on the contact patch, and I still need to finish off the instrument panels.  The interior of the canopy is now dark grey, which seems to be the correct colour from the pictures I've seen.  It makes sense too, to reduce reflections and glare etc.  Here's a group shot:

spacer.png

I'd also forgotten to gloss and wash the sidewalls, so I'd better go and do that now :doh:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I matted then unmasked the landing gear and added some hoses from lead wire, which was made a little trickier by the nubbins in the way.  I got round them and painted the flexible parts black for a bit of contrast (and the fact that they're black in pictures).  Here's a shot of them all done and ready to go on near the end, plus a bonus prop waiting for later in the build too.

spacer.png

Going to finish off the IPs and then assemble the cockpit ready for insertion and closing up of the fuselage next :)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Peter W said:

just need Hannant’s to get them off the boat and I can add one to the stash.

I'd imagine a lot of companies are in the same boat.  I was talking to someone the other day, and they'd been up to their necks in Customs work since they came back from Christmas :shrug: