Airfix Golden Hind

ipaul321

Hi All,

my 17 year old lad is almost complete is building the Airfix Wasa. He's done a great job and what a relief from X Box!

I am looking at a next project for/with him and see the Golden Hind & Endeavour seem to be available.

Anyone have a view on how decent the moulds are & if these models offer a sensible progression?

Thank you

Paul

• Like 2

Hello,

Nice to hear of a 17 year old getting into the hobby, especially in the challenging field of sailing ships. TBH I can’t offer much insight as I have not built any of these models myself and am certainly no expert in this area. The only comment I will make is that I believe that all of these molds are very very old so are likely to be far below the standards of modern kit sets. I think Zvezda might do some more modern sailing ship kits?

• Like 1

There is a beautiful build log of the Airfix Golden Hind on another forum (Model Ship World) which may be helpful in showing how it fits together.  The builder modified it using cloth sails that were not included in the kit.  Here is the link:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23890-golden-hind-by-robert-taylor-finished-airfix-172-scale-plastic/

According to Scalemates, the Heller Golden Hind is incorrectly marked as 1/200 but is 1/96 and a reboxing of the Revell one. The Airfix kit is 1/72 scale.

Dave

Scratchbuilding is another course that few take but offers an endlessly fascinating hobby and really is not as difficult as many think.

It generally takes a bit longer than building a kit and, initially at least, probably won’t produce a model that is up to the same standard as a kit but this approach is a genuine practical alternative (even for a beginner) and allows great freedom to pick your own subjects and scales.

At the end of a scratchbuild you get to say ‘I built that’ and when someone comes along and asks which kit you used there can be a great sense of satisfaction! 😀

I use wood predominantly but if you don’t have the tools and shed etc, plastic is a completely practical alternative. Balsa can also be worked with almost no more tools or space than used on a kit.

There’s plenty of advice and examples available here on BM.

I’ll hop down off my soapbox now. 📦

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, John_W said:

Not everyone is as talented as you Steve.

I dunno- part of the reason I took up scratchbuilding was because I found I could never make a kit set as well most of my dodgy mates! 😀

32 minutes ago, europapete said:

Steve, if your kits didn't turn out well........ then all I can say is that the kits were dodgey, not your skills. Regards, Pete in RI

You might be right... whenever I put them through the bandsaw little bits of plastic used to break off and fly all round the shed.

Maybe the kits were faulty. 🤔

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

You might be right... whenever I put them through the bandsaw little bits of plastic used to break off and fly all round the shed.

Ah, so that's how modeling and "Bandsaw" came together. (Or flew apart)

Actually, I have used a bandsaw on plastic kits. Many many years ago when my son was little I decided to 'waterline' some very old models (my Scharnhorst and my brother's Tirpitz were two of them) so he could play on the floor with them. The results were pretty much as you'd expect - rough. 😲

Sorry to have got off topic, but I agree with Bandsaw Steve here regarding the satisfaction of making something yourself. It doesn't have to be complex, in fact I'd recommend starting simple. But at least give it some thought. And as Steve says, balsa is easy to work with. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there 

I would definitely go with the Golden Hind  which I have built and I also have the Endeavour in my stash, but the imho the Golden Hind has a far superior  Moulding, if you can try and get and older kit of this issue, the one I built was the Special edition kit from the 80's and the mouldings were great, no problems at all with them, reason I say this is I don't know if more recent kits(moulds)  have had new Toolings done, if not then chances are the kits will be of poor quality as the tooling is from almost if not 50 years old.

Hope this helps 

Regards 

Rob.

According to Scalemates Golden Hind was a new tool in 1977; new parts were added 20 years later but no detail on what they were - I suspect possibly just thread for the rigging.  Since then it's been re-issued twice, most recently in the Vintage Classics range so it will be the original tooling.  That said, I don't suspect that anywhere near as many copies have been made from the mould as say a 1/72 Spitfire of the same era so I wouldn't be overly worried about the mould (that's really blown it now hasn't it!)

I just finished the Airfix Golden Hind.  There are no pulley blocks supplied, no belaying points/pins, and the rigging diagram supplied is very rudimentary. More research is needed, and blocks and belaying pins will need to be sourced.  However, the triangle designs to be painted on the upper hull and cabin fronts now have very fine lines engraved on them  to guide painting ( which I suspect weren't on the original moulds). Builds up to a very impressive model.  Lot of bang for the buck (or Pound or Euro)

• 1 month later...

Hello - not sure if this helps but I'm currently building the 1/72 Airfix kit - build log here. I don't usually build floating things, mainly rally cars, tanks and the odd plane. Also the replica on the South Bank of the Thames near London Bridge is worth a look around if he does start building it (noticed you're not too far away), though currently shut I think - some details here.