New Airfix Website - what’ya think?

Rabbit Leader

I just found Airfix’s newly designed website and to be honest I’m not quite sure what to think. I realise most new things take a while up get used too, however so far nothing is reaching out and grabbing me with excitement. The latest workbench blog doesn’t want to show me any images, so would be keen to see if anyone else is having the same issue. 

Anyway.. I’m sure I’ll learn to navigate my way around it and probably be fond of the website as time goes by. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Interesting to see the new starter set Spitfire Mk.Vc includes what seems to be the artwork for another standard Mk.Vc release with two European schemes, and a made-up example which includes a rearview mirror.   It's difficult to understand why the starter alternative comes with a silly set of roundels - correct ones would surely have been no more difficult to create or use.

Sorry I didn't check the blogs for images because of a lack of specific interest.  I think the site would have been better with at least one appropriate image for each option and the rest, with most of the text, dropping into the attached blog.  As it stands it lacks interest/excitement/impact.

Its not working for me

It says 100 military aeroplanes, 5 pages x 24

I can't get past page 3, mid A05xxx numbers

I had to reset my password as the one I used wasn't recognised

They wiped out all the items in my 'basket'. About 20 items, value to about £38. Now I have to go through it all again and not everything is going into the 'basket', some items say they are in the basket but they are not

Yesterday I got an email from Airfix that the 1/72 Lightning F6 was back in stock. I can't find it anywhere on the website

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I just found Airfix’s newly designed website and to be honest I’m not quite sure what to think. I realise most new things take a while up get used too, however so far nothing is reaching out and grabbing me with excitement. The latest workbench blog doesn’t want to show me any images, so would be keen to see if anyone else is having the same issue. 

Anyway.. I’m sure I’ll learn to navigate my way around it and probably be fond of the website as time goes by. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave. Same for me - pictures in the 'Workbench' area not opening up (only the picture at the top of each post is visible). I've sent them a message via the 'contact us' page on this so we'll see if Airfix come back. No posts in the Forum but it says they are being copied over at the moment.

Thanks for flagging up the new website - I'm having a look around - having just also bought the latest Airfix Catalogue! I didn't really use the old one much but I've been looking around to see if I can buy myself a 'comfort' item i.e. the new Beaufort. Looks like it's not actually on sale yet so plenty time to get some of all my other kits built! I think I have used the Airfix Tribute Forum more to get all the old kit details and history etc. and see @Ratch's builds, of course!

• Like 2

So far, not a fan.

Also, I don't know if it's an old post but it seems that they have put something out about the Buccaneer kit for their blog article this week... Still no article about the new 2021 range

I came across it yesterday and it took ages to just get onto it, loads of error messages and so on. 

So far much the same experience as everyone above today.

I know it takes time to get things up to speed but I do wonder sometimes who Airfix and or Hornby use as their web developers as this is their shop window and it’s never been great, new of old site. 

Hopefully they’ll get it sorted soon. 

James

It still needs lots of work to make it usable.  Having worked in website revamps, we would have been told in no uncertain terms to pull it and wait till the new one is fit for purpose.

The 'Workbench' section is harder to find and it's not even in date order.

Regards

Robert

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Robert said:

The 'Workbench' section is harder to find and it's not even in date order.

Regards

Robert

I managed to find it easy enough, and you can change the order it's in from the drop down box at the top of the page, either most popular, or date. And to find it, from the front page, Community > Blog & News. Et Voila Workbench! The only thing I cant find are the monthly desktop wallpaper downloads. However, I have messaged them to ask the question if they are still doing them, and also to mention about the missing images on the blog pages (managed to find them - on the same page as the blogs)!

Having done a little bit of web work, it may work perfectly well in "development" on a test system, with all the images etc on a closed system, but things don't always work as you have designed when transferring to a live, real time system, there are always going to be gremlins in the system. Same with software development, too many variables and hardware configurations to work through all possible scenarios before release, and then software/web developers get major problems because something doesn't quite work on some weird and wonderful configuration that no-one had thought of except the person running that system! 

Edited by treker_ed

I've yet to have a rummage around but I like that you can choose any of the 12 Hornby-owned brand websites from the dropdown box at the top left. This applies to all 12 brand websites so it is much easier to go from one to another.

As for the rest, it is obviously having some teething problems so I will re-visit it in a week's time. No great rush for me, especially the shop as I have a stash over 300 Airfix kits to keep me going for a while.

Dave

• Like 3

Yesterday it showed the new Beaufort as being in stock (this was the date that the old website's back-ordering section predicted that pre-orders would be shipped) but today it states that the kit is out of stock, which is a bummer because I had one on pre-order and there's no sign that one has been sent this way, so I'd like to be able to find out what the score is.

I was just on the US version and it did take what seemed a long time for screens to load. According to the site the Vulcan will be available in Spring 2021, hope so. :)

Just trying this too, found the work bench bit but while there are two items for the 20th Jan with all pictures showing both are actually from pre Christmas eg Sabre and Buccaneer, perhaps the date they were added to the new site? I had thought the first workbench of the new year was to be on the 8th Jan?

Hope this not a sign of things to come.......

Chris

Looks like a work in progress... recycled workbench editions from last year... oh and a new ship scale introduced (bit small for me) 1:1600 :rofl:

All joking aside I am quite surprised it has been released in this state. And no sign of my pre-ordered (12 months ago) Buccaneer S.2B which now shows as "out of stock". :unsure:  

Rich

Edited by RichG

On 1/23/2021 at 10:53 PM, RichG said:

And no sign of my pre-ordered (12 months ago) Buccaneer S.2B which now shows as "out of stock". :unsure:  

Just received this from Airfix:

We regret to inform you that your order was delayed due to a system error following the launch of our new website. The order has since been processed and is being prepared for delivery. Your items should be with you shortly. We are very sorry about this and want to apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

As a thank you for your continued loyalty and patience, we would like to offer you a 20% discount on your next order with us.

:goodjob:

I actually received the order a few days before the email, but great respect to Airfix for acknowleging the delay and taking the trouble to send me an apology (I hadn't complained or anything). The 20% discount is a really nice gesture too. But what to spend it on  :hmmm:  I heard that a new Airfix 1/72 God of Fire was on final approach... ah that'll do very nicely!

New 1/72 RAF Buccaneer S.2B and Vulcan B.2... truly a golden age.

Rich

• Like 2

I am pleased to find I am not the only person struggling with the new website. It does still have quite a few teething glitches, like A B-25 Mitchell being thought of as a commercial aircraft, and an HS Dominie or HP Jetstream being thought of as 'WW2.  Must have been long development runs !

I was looking for the new 1/48th Blenheim 1, but it has completely disappeared - not just 'out of stock' but gone. 

Some of the comments earlier reassure me a little ; l presume this is another temporary glitch?   Certainly should be - I already got one from them and was hoping for another. Any comments/thoughts?

Cheers,

John B