Moebius '61 Pontiac Ventura

Here is my RFI of the Moebius 1/25 scale 1961 Pontiac Ventura.  This is my forth Moebius car kit and, unlike the previous three which fell together ('55 Chrysler 300, '54 Hudson couple and '65 Plymouth), this one exhibited some pretty challenging fit issues on the front bumper and both front and rear windscreens. The rear window upper frame is still not quite flush with the roof but I'm afraid I'll ruin the paint if I tried to do any additional tuning (I'm still learning the fine art of knowing when to stop particularly near the end of a build).  Despite these challenges, this was a fun one to paint and assemble. This two-tone green color scheme, Jadestone metallic green with Seacrest green top, was inspired by a beautiful build of this same kit I saw posted on another auto modeling forum last year.  Basecoat paints for these original factory colors were ordered from Scalefinishes.com and the finished body clear coated with Tamiya TS-13.  Tamiya acrylics and Alclad polished aluminum were used for other painted surfaces.

I've always thought that these early sixties "bubble top" coupe designs from Bill Mitchell's years running GM styling were/still are very futuristic looking.  I have the Catalina version of this kit which I hope to build as an early super stock drag car. Thanks for looking. Cheers, John

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

That is a lovely clean build. I hadn't realized that Pontiac used the same basic shell as Chevy in 1961.

It has it's nice points in some of the styling differences but I'm afraid I still prefer the Impala.

Simply, I think, for the upward sweep of the 'sidespear' at the rear. 

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/ideal/1/32/6619/1920x1440/1961-chevrolet-impala-bubble-top

• Like 1

I love posting build photos on Britmodeller. What a friendly encouraging forum this is! Thank you all for the very kind complements! 

Other than a few repair areas on the front and rear bumpers, the stainless trim features were not foiled. I masked and airbrushed Alclad polished aluminum over a black lacquer base on these trim features. I have yet to master the skill of applying and trimming foil and am in awe of car builds I see here that include it.

• Like 1