Revell - Boeing 747-200 Swissair (Converted)

Among my British Airways 747-400, I have another 747 in hands. These two projects were in an advanced stage already at the time I've joined the forum so that's why it might look a bit odd compared with other topics here. But anyways... 

120855049_3475194615850452_3577033802408009428_o

The kit is the Boeing 747-100, 50th Anniversary edition by Revell (the box is above just in case), but I didn't wanted to paint it with Boeing's colors, I wanted to paint it with a retro livery. After all the choosing process wasn't that hard because, I already had in mind the Swissair livery. I'm a huge fan of Switzerland of course of Swissair too, so putting my favorite airplane with a very glamorous airline wouldn't be a bad idea. The Swissair operated with the -200 & -300 versions of the 747. Never with the -100, but in therms of design it wouldn't make the difference since because the main diferences between the -100 & the -200 are about performance and range. 

So I've went to 26Decals once again to buy the decals to apply later on. Between HB-IGA & HB-IGB, the only -200's Swissair operated I've picked up HB-IGB named as "Zürich". Just because Züri is one of my favorite cities. The decals came and I started to do some research about the livery. In fact the Swissair livery was very similar to the Boeing one, except with some differences in the aft section. 

IMG_6563

Because the decals were in a laser paper and I had some problems with it in the past already, I've decided to fill the windows with some putty in order to get a smooth and a clean surface to decals sit later on. The painting process was kinda normal, I've only used 3 main colors (white, silver and light grey) but the masking process was in my opinion a bit challenging for me, because I had to follow and feel the aircraft's curves in order to paint the grey section in the middle of the aircraft. The rest was kinda an easy job.

Captura de ecrã 2021-01-21, às 22.48.24

The wings had the same design as I used on my British Airways 747 with the same color scheme although I've try to apply a pre shadow with my airbrush, thing that didn't turned quite well in the end. I didn't liked the result so I've masked again the wings and I will start to paint the again soon. I will try to continue this project soon :D 

Captura de ecrã 2021-01-21, às 23.00.05

• Like 10

Just found this thread.

I stay tuned for more progress:popcorn:

When you told me about you Swissair 747,I thought its gonna be the brown stripe livery.

Very nice choice of the classic 70's livery.👍

I recently built the Heller 1/125 747 in these colors;HB-IGA

I also have a 1/144 decal set,where I will build HB-IGB but with the blue Swissair titling instead of the black.

I have the decal set from f-dcal.I had no idea 26 produced them as well.

I also have a set with the brown stripe livery as I am planning to build all liveries the 747-200s and -300s wore while in service with Swissair.

I flew several times on their 747-300 from Zurich to Hongkong and back in the late 90s.

Awesome flights,which resulted in me becoming the 747 lover I am today 😊.

I see on your photos that the cockpit windows are already printed on the black anti-glare panel,and the windows are barely visible.

I might suggest,you use an other cockpit window,to make them a bit better visible ?

If I am right,I should have some spare anti-glare panel for the Swissair 747,as well as cockpit windows.

I will check that these days and get back to you.

If you are interested,PM me your adress and I have them shipped to you.

Alex

• Like 1

On 24/01/2021 at 21:59, Alex1978 said:

Just found this thread.

I stay tuned for more progress:popcorn:

When you told me about you Swissair 747,I thought its gonna be the brown stripe livery.

Very nice choice of the classic 70's livery.👍

I recently built the Heller 1/125 747 in these colors;HB-IGA

I also have a 1/144 decal set,where I will build HB-IGB but with the blue Swissair titling instead of the black.

I have the decal set from f-dcal.I had no idea 26 produced them as well.

I also have a set with the brown stripe livery as I am planning to build all liveries the 747-200s and -300s wore while in service with Swissair.

I flew several times on their 747-300 from Zurich to Hongkong and back in the late 90s.

Awesome flights,which resulted in me becoming the 747 lover I am today 😊.

I see on your photos that the cockpit windows are already printed on the black anti-glare panel,and the windows are barely visible.

I might suggest,you use an other cockpit window,to make them a bit better visible ?

If I am right,I should have some spare anti-glare panel for the Swissair 747,as well as cockpit windows.

I will check that these days and get back to you.

If you are interested,PM me your adress and I have them shipped to you.

Alex

Grüezi again Alex! 

Yeah, I did wanted to do a model more close to the last Swissair livery, but or I couldn't find decals or models. I've thought initially about the Chocolate stripe livery but after analyzing both livery schemes I've ended up to choose this one because it would fit better in the -200 series in a timeline matter.

I've seen your SR Heller 747 already in a topic and it looks amazing for sure! Building all the liveries will be a nice challenge for you! Im sure you will nail it!
Ohhhh, you've flew to Hong Kong with a 747 in the 90's ?! Thats a synonym of Kai Tak. I wish I've could have been a passenger and do that famous curve at Checkerboard Hill though .. Sadly im not from Kai Tak's times as the airport closed on July 6th 1998 and I was born on November 13th 1998. Well but I can appreciate the videos, photos and comments about that awesome airport!

Yes, you are right! They are printed on the black stripe already! It's very kind of you thanks a lot! I will try to PM you then!
Thanks a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

Back after almost one month out. I just wanna share the progress I've made with HB-IGB. 

After all the inks got dry and the first layers of varnish were applied, today was the day to apply the first decals. The decals for this 747 came in a laser sheet. Personally I prefer to work with silk screen ones, but I've learned from the previous models I've build already and I've cut them with precision and in the end everything went quite well. Better that I was initially thinking. Having in mind my first experience with laser ones was a huge terror.

The decals for Swissair were way more easier than the Landor ones, because with the Landor, the decal sheet brought many small details. So, today I could work on the whole port side. The only things left remaining here, were the tail and the after section decals. I've choose to apply these in the end for a) not taking the chance to put my fingers over them and they get glued to them b) for the last aft decals get symmetrical attached to each other.

So far I'm very excited with this model. Swissair was such a great airline, and with this livery on a 747 the result is just quite awesome! Hope by Sunday I can finish the decal apply process and glue the engines and landing gear! 

PS - Many of you who've build the 747 50th Anniversary Edition may have noticed this model doesn't bring an APU, leaving the after section with a huge hole. So also today I've applied my own APU. I've enjoyed the final result :D 

50957464077_37930c34d0_b.jpg

50957355491_a28ac205fb_b.jpg

50957464112_0874ec9539_b.jpg

50956657838_c45e5cf8c7_b.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, stringbag said:

Those cabin windows look very convincing I must say.  Love the classic Swissair livery too.

Chris.

They do indeed! 26Decals did a great job! They are my favorite website to buy decals! 

Classic airplanes deserves classic liveries :D 

Thanks! 

Diogo

Edited by Diogo Monteiro

On 19/02/2021 at 18:11, Alex1978 said:

Very neat.Thats coming along nicely.

Good to see that you built in the APU.

Not many Revell 747s I have seen build,had it.👍

Looking forward to the "roll out...

Very appreciated for your words Alex! Yeah the APU was very easy to create, and of the 3 747's I've built so far, only the 747-8 came with some pieces for the APU! The roll out is about to happen!! :D

Edited by Diogo Monteiro

Today was progress day! Like I had planned, today I've finished the whole decal process and the only thing remaining are the landing gears and their respective doors to assemble! The decals for the tail and after section were almost perfect to the mold! Only minor adjustments are needed and I must say, laser decals are not that hard after all... I did used although some original Revell's decals for the lower leading edges. In my opinion they are a bit too clean, I don't think in overall they fit (aesthetically) with the kit, but maybe with some decal soft and weathering I can fix this "eye problem". 

Hope by the end of the incoming week I can make those final adjustments and glue the landing gears on place! Meanwhile, I left you with some shots of today's progress! 

50967076231_61223593b8_b.jpg

50967076281_9d73432774_b.jpg

50966373403_e076012aa6_b.jpg

50967184972_96c015a19d_b.jpg

• Like 4

She's a beauty alright! I've purchased some decals from 26Decals for my Twin Otter and I'm looking forward to trying them. The build is on hold currently though due to fitting issues. 

Shame I've missed most of the build so far. I trust there's still peanuts left in the snack trolley? 

13 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

She's a beauty alright! I've purchased some decals from 26Decals for my Twin Otter and I'm looking forward to trying them. The build is on hold currently though due to fitting issues. 

Shame I've missed most of the build so far. I trust there's still peanuts left in the snack trolley? 

Very appreciated for your words Lewis! 

Yeah, by the time I've joined the forum both 747's were in an advanced stage already but I have at least 5 airliners in the queue to make so you will not miss very much :) 

26Decals are just amazing, I've bought all my decals there even before trying them, I just knew they were quite good. Sometimes the sanding and the fitting processes are those who demand more time (and also patience)! Im from Portugal, and the Twin Otter (DH-6) marked his presence here too when TAP Air Portugal used to operate them in routes inside Portugal between 1979 and 1984. Good old days! 

Wanna keep following your projects as well! 

Stay safe! 

10 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Already a beauty.

Lots of details and top job on the decals.

Looks like the real queen back in her glory days👏

Thanks again Alex! Yeah indeed, the decals are top quality!! 

And this Queen deserves all the glamour from the golden days! :D 

• Like 1