Mpc 1/72 space 1999 Eagle

18 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Stuff That I Had When I Was A Kid That's Probably Worth Lots Of Money Now...

My Six Million Dollar Man Steve Austin Doll... all that Evel Knievel stuff...

My mum was the enemy. I had a bunch of really old Action Man stuff (pre-grippy hands and fuzzy hair) that she gave to the local children's home. Also, showing unusual foresight for an eight-year-old, in 1977 I bought two of each of the first three "progs" of 2000AD comic, one to keep, the other to preserve intact along with the free gifts. They were already escalating in value when she had a "clear-out" and threw them away when I was away studying at 19. I daren't look now.

Sorry to hijack your thread with the nostalgiafest, I'll be following progress with your Eagle.

I know the feeling!

Must have been in '78 I think that my local newsagent had some US Star Wars comics.  I bought a few issues. Looking online now issue 1 in mint condition is going for like 1500 quid!!!!

As you say, imagine if we'd kept the Dinky eagle in it's box or the star wars figures unmollested - we'd be rich!!!!!!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Also, showing unusual foresight for an eight-year-old, in 1977 I bought two of each of the first three "progs" of 2000AD comic, one to keep, the other to preserve intact along with the free gifts. They were already escalating in value when she had a "clear-out" and threw them away when I was away studying at 19. I daren't look now.

My Dad was the chief Electrician for the Fleetway Print works in Gravesend which printed comics like Lion, Valliant, Whizzer and Chips, Tiger and Battle and Action Picture Library war comics books. In 1978 they also started printing 2000AD and I had a complete collection of them including the toys on multiple copies of the first few issues! Needless to say when I went to Uni in 1979 my mother threw them all away, and gave away all my Meccano, Scalextrix and my models. I was not best pleased it would be fair to say.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

My dad keeps trying to convince me that I said "Yea, just throw em on the tip" to my original Palitoy Millennium Falcon, X-Wing, figures along with my 1/450 QE2 and award winning build of a 1/48 F-14B VF-111, while I was away at uni. 😬 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

My dad keeps trying to convince me that I said "Yea, just throw em on the tip" to my original Palitoy Millennium Falcon, X-Wing, figures along with my 1/450 QE2 and award winning build of a 1/48 F-14B VF-111, while I was away at uni. 😬 

Dads are like that. Mine slung hundreds of pounds worth of role playing games and supplements, hundreds of pages of notes and home made campaign material and a small mountain of scale models- my lifetime collection- about a nanosecond after I joined the armed forces. He kept threadbare clothes that didn't fit even before I joined up and a few dozen tins of enamel paint, though... :wonder:

• Sad 2

Yup you get a load of them in the kit decals. What I've collected is various lining decals intended for railways and car models of various colours and widths that I can cut up and use to make the stripes etc on the spine

• Like 2

So some progress...

50939847426_5e208ac15c_b.jpg

had some big problems with the Halfords white.  Think I already said about that but it precluded me doing any masking for any grey/other colour and as I’d already done the white.  However, I have a (sort of) cunning plan....

the side pods are just sat in place to get a bit of perspective.....

• Like 7

It's actually looking pretty good - you don't want it "too pristine".  I just hope your having "fun" - I would hate to think I'd traumatized you :blush:

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BIG X said:

It's actually looking pretty good - you don't want it "too pristine".  I just hope your having "fun" - I would hate to think I'd traumatized you :blush:

naaaa.this really is like back to being a nipper! 😁. The fit of some parts (or probably just me) is somewhat iffy but heyoo....

to try and get the “used” look i sanded the edges of the raised sections a bit. Have overdone it in a couple of places but maybe with a dark(ish) wash it’ll come out ok.

I have a feeling the tanks at the back will be “interesting”.......

• Like 3

On a non modelling note if anyone ever decides to remake Space 1999 perhaps Jac Naylor (Rosie Marcell) out of Holby City could be persuaded to play Maya??

jn cs

:)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

On a non modelling note if anyone ever decides to remake Space 1999 perhaps Jac Naylor (Rosie Marcell) out of Holby City could be persuaded to play Maya??

jn cs

:)

Could she cope with wearing the mini chocolate buttons for eyebrows???

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Could she cope with wearing the mini chocolate buttons for eyebrows???

Indeed ;)

She's not in Holby just now - I read somewhere she's one of the UK's highest paid actresses.  Reportedly 400k a year so we may need to do a gofundme page to persuade her......😬

• Haha 1

So moving onto the passenger pod.....

after a google-fu I’ve elected to go with the orange VIP pod.

I don’t have any tamiya orange but found some acrylic tubes I bought from Lidl’s god knows when.  It actually goes on pretty well. And I’ve managed to avoid the airbrush again! 😁

one question. The “spine” of the pod. It’s totally flat and devoid of anything.  The kit would have you screw the pod to the Eagle (‘orrible) anode I’m not sure if I should try and add something to detract from it? Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

You can sit outside with a glass of lemonade and a packet of crisps.

(Those were the days, when Dad took you to the pub. Luxury)

BOTTLE of lemonade - with a paper straw - that had a knack of collapsing - wow you just took me back 50 years there Pete - it was a warm fuzzy moment :) Thanks - Steve

• Haha 2

On 2/17/2021 at 2:09 PM, Lawzer said:

So moving onto the passenger pod.....

after a google-fu I’ve elected to go with the orange VIP pod.

I don’t have any tamiya orange but found some acrylic tubes I bought from Lidl’s god knows when.  It actually goes on pretty well. And I’ve managed to avoid the airbrush again! 😁

one question. The “spine” of the pod. It’s totally flat and devoid of anything.  The kit would have you screw the pod to the Eagle (‘orrible) anode I’m not sure if I should try and add something to detract from it? Thoughts?

I didn’t like the screws, either, so I found some 1 mm x 6 mm diameter round rare earth magnets on eBay. I paid ~$10 US for 100. There is just enough space to glue a couple to the top of the pod without interfering with the slotted plates on the Eagle’s spine that the screws go through. I glued a couple more on top of that plate. The magnets are strong enough to hold the pod in place. I added some bits of styrene and decals to the tops of the plates to make them look “busy.” I didn't prime the magnets, so the paint didn't stick very well to the ones on the pod. That can't be seen, anyway. And, I see I missed (quite) a few mold parting lines on the frame! :doh:
spacer.png

spacer.png

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well after a few hours today it’s done.....sort of.  Pod isn’t attached yet -going to look into what @Ben Brown suggested.

Might polish up the engine bells a bit and “might” put a wash over the fuel tanks and spine of the pod.

all in all a thoroughly enjoyable build and big thanks to my good chum @BIG X for the birthday present! 👍

have just noticed that I’ve fitted the outer facing part on one of the side pods upside down.....😬 Oh well too late to do anything about it now....

so, do I start saving my pocket money for the 22” one?......

50965425043_521bb4dd44_b.jpg

50966131081_cf6f44e70e_b.jpg

50966238312_62bf3cbb29_b.jpg

• Like 8