1/72 B-17F, Revell + BIG ED and other

Fuad

Great build and diorama definitely adds to an overall effect! I especially like how you tackled colour fading - it imitates sun exposure and weather conditions very nicely.  Chipping, especially on the engine nacelles looks very realistic as well.

Another beauty, Fuad! There were two 303rd/306th BG B-17's named Old Faithful and eleven 8th AF Forts in total with the same name! A really well-used Fort, as the scuffing and weathering attest. I was not familiar with this particular 303rd BG B-17F, so I looked for photos. Two thoughts came to mind: In all of the photos I found as well as all the color profiles, (With the understanding that we all know about color profiles!) I didn't see any that showed medium green blotching on 42-3560, but there was on B-17F 42-5714, also named Old Faithful, assigned to the 306th BG. Also, I would think, by the time 42-3560 was as well-worn as you depicted her, the fabric control surfaces, particularly the ones on the upper surface and rudder would be pretty faded, which was a common characteristic on OD/neutral grey B-17's. Although, if 3560 was delivered in 1943, and the red surround pretty much indicates a three-month window in 1943 when that insignia was used, she might have been a little less weatherbeaten. Just curious, and not meant in any way to criticize a model that is built and finished so much better than I could ever hope to do. Hoping you and yours are OK and safe from the pandemic where you are. Nice way to start the New Year- another outstanding build! :worthy:

Mike

BTW, for you and others, I have attached a link that lists the nose art name, serial, and group assignment for all 8th AF B-17's It's a great modeling reference!

https://hazy.home.xs4all.nl/Planes/T3165 Mission Belle/Books and Magazines/B-17 Nose Art Name Directory.pdf

Edited by 72modeler
added text, corrected spelling
  • Like 2