Revell Hawker Tempest MkV 1:32 - 56 (Punjab) Squadron April 1945 , 2nd TAF ,Volkel, Holland - My uncle's aircraft (US-X)

12 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Coming together nicely .. apart fro the issue with the broken canopy.

Canopy .. I have seen a pic of a canvas cover over the canopy on a Tempest .. so if i cant replace it .. maybe this is an option..

The wing dihedral looks ok too.. flat on inboard  and looks ok on the outboard sections of the wings. The wing assembly went nicely together at the wing roots. not massive gap to fill! 

A little good news is that the hood actually clicks into the rails so it is pretty secure without cement.  That way you can put a cover on the broken one and if you get a replacement in the future it's an easy swap.

Glad the wing inner section came together for you.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Bill Bunting said:

A little good news is that the hood actually clicks into the rails so it is pretty secure without cement.  That way you can put a cover on the broken one and if you get a replacement in the future it's an easy swap.

Glad the wing inner section came together for you.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers 

Thanks Bill. It's coming together nicely. Feels very solid. I've cut out the decals for the seat harness too so plan to use these rather than apply the decals themselves.

Did the rudder  and rest of the tail today too.

Canopy will be unusual when covered and yes should be easy to replace in the future as it clicks in! 

Kind Regards,

Andy

Just some more pics really.. slow progress this week and the disaster of the broken rear canopy. Can't be helped and lots of alternatives available so i'm not fretting over this.

The canopy with it's lovely crack down the middle

20210227_002803

The Starboard wing light. Such a nice touch on Revell's part and at this scale it looks the business in my opinion!

20210227_003113

Adding the 'gubbins' in the wheel wells and second coat of paint! Didn't help that i was watching The Cold Blue documentary about the 91st BG at the time! ( this is actually what i partly get paid for believe it or not!)

20210227_003127

Another spot on accurate detail is the drop tank pylons were made of glass! - reflected in the kit.. i like this! and i'm now happy with the drop tank surfaces smoothed out.

20210227_002655

Tail sorted out and dry fitted for this photo. Im not decided yet to glue them before painting or do my usual trick of painting them off the fuselage and then very carefully glueing them when done..

20210227_002628

One idea i had for the seat harness was to use the decals still on their backing paper to give some strength and depth

I will tidy the edges up and dirty them a little before i fix them to the seat.

20210227_003138

The u/c is the next problem area i think. The instructions are pretty unclear to see the parts in their final positions is a bit fuzzy.. 

Think i'll leave it mostly for the weekend. The weather promises to be really nice so might be good to get out on my cycle and enjoy the fresh air for once!

• Like 1