Revell Hawker Tempest MkV 1:32 - 56 (Punjab) Squadron April 1945 , 2nd TAF ,Volkel, Holland - My uncle's aircraft (US-X)

37 minutes ago, erniewise said:

Hello

It probably would have been a 4 spoke wheel.

There is a picture of US-X, NV728 if that is the aircraft you are interested in @Chris Thomas book accompanying the Eduard Royal Tempest boxing. In fact he references it as being flown by a Sgt. P.C. Brown which I suppose has to be your uncle!

I wouldn't want to post that picture as I'm not sure of copyright etc. etc. but maybe others may do so if they are more sure of their facts.

Thank you Ernie.

US-X NV728 is indeed the aircraft my uncle flew to it's ultimate destruction. Sgt PC Brown is my uncle Peter.

I will contact Chris Thomas and ask if he would graciously grant permission to allow me to use it here. 

4 spoke wheels then! thanks for this tip. 

Kind Regards

Andy

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Clearly with the family connection this is going to be a very special project. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks Tony. It is very special to me personally and i hope to do it justice! It's not every day you get to really understand a family members heroism and be able to pay tribute to them!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

It's not every day you get to really understand a family members heroism and be able to pay tribute to them!

Indeed! All my grandparents being Irish, none of them had any direct involvement in the War, though family legend says that my paternal grandfather, a builder's labourer, single-handedly build the Leeds International Swimming Pool. It's all I've got...

all the best

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Indeed! All my grandparents being Irish, none of them had any direct involvement in the War, though family legend says that my paternal grandfather, a builder's labourer, single-handedly build the Leeds International Swimming Pool. It's all I've got...

all the best

Tony

Brilliant Tony - Leeds International Swimming Pool.. that beats anything my uncle did! Seriously though i think your family had a better time of it. I know my grandfather was not best amused at spending 6 years mostly away in the 8th Army. My mothers family are from Sligo, Co Galway. Her cousin is Mick Harford the footballer!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

My mothers family are from Sligo, Co Galway.

Been there, many years ago anyway. In fact I can place it, it was June 1990. I was in the lounge of my hotel watching England play Ireland in the Italia 90 World Cup. Lineker put the first one in, and I was the only one in the room who jumped up and cheered. Beautiful place, and (as it turned out) very friendly people.. My lot are from Mayo (dad) and Kerry (mum). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyOD said:

Been there, many years ago anyway. In fact I can place it, it was June 1990. I was in the lounge of my hotel watching England play Ireland in the Italia 90 World Cup. Lineker put the first one in, and I was the only one in the room who jumped up and cheered. Beautiful place, and (as it turned out) very friendly people.. My lot are from Mayo (dad) and Kerry (mum). 

I do like Eire. Everytime i've been have been made exceptionally welcome! still remember going to Co Cork in 1972 an idyll indeed!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spitfire said:

Depends on the aircraft, Series 1 would be five spoke, Series 2 four spoke, but here is a link to the experts

Cheers

Dennis

Much obliged for your help and input here Dennis. I've folled up the WIP and some absolutely amazing and relevant details for my build!

Cheers,

Regards

Andy

I am indebted to Chris Thomas for settling one of the issues 4 or 5 spoke wheels!  $ spoke wheels is what it would have had and i've seen a pic of said NV728 which confirms this! Also for providing a very nice clear pic of the aircraft i'm depicting. He added some first hand details from a pilot who also force landed on the same mission sweep as my uncle. It seems they were both hit in the radiator by small arms fire from a german soldier! 

Anyway here's the cockpit in progress

20210202_103840

20210202_103930

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good Andy, the cockpit interior is really coming together fella. 

It's fantastic that you have been able to get this information to assist and personalise your build. 

Chris

Yes Chris and to think in October I had and absolutely incorrect picture of my uncle's service! Several diamonds in the dust were revealed to me. His middle name.. then finding his service number.. the fact that 56 Squadron had a rarity in recording aircraft serials and squadron codes in their Ops book. That this Ops book was available to download from the National Archives.  Chris Thomas's research, advice and books have been invaluable too. I've been incredibly lucky to find out so much and even actual photographs! 

Regards, Andy 

• Like 3

Beyond my wildest dreams. Just wish my Dad was still around. He would have loved this build and the backstory! My uncle had a son in Germany he never knew about. I'm in contact with him. I've been able to add so many details about his birth father for him. It's a good feeling to be able to help his son Peter 'know' his Dad. That's perhaps the 'value' of this project. 

• Like 4

Wow - what an amazing family connection, along with one of my favourite aircraft. Count me in please Andy!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

It is a great story you have there Andy, something to pass onto the next generation and that Tempest is coming along fine.

Regards

Robert

• Thanks 1

Hi Andy,

I'll follow along if I may. 1/32 isn't my scale, but the subject is, and your family connection makes this a very poignant build for you and your family.

I hope I'm not sending you on a wild goose chase with what follows. I imagine you've read Pierre Clostermann's "The Big Show"?

The copy I have to hand is the unabridged hardback edition published in 2004, which has different photos. But my late Dad's copy, paperback, Corgi, and 1970s, has more and different photos of 122 Wing's Tempests.

One is captioned along the lines of "The Author taking off from Volkel. On his left is Brown, who did not return from this sortie".

Now, I'm probably entirely wrong and I can't check that book as it's 200 miles away, and Brown is a fairly common name. But it struck me as a coincidence, and it might be worthwhile your looking into it?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

With kind regards,

Mark 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Andy that is amazing you have also another cousin too, what a turn of events.   This is truly fantastic. 

Chris

Yes Chris.We have had a lot of contact and he's a new member of the family to welcome and get up to speed. ! He's a nice guy indeed!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Andy,

I'll follow along if I may. 1/32 isn't my scale, but the subject is, and your family connection makes this a very poignant build for you and your family.

I hope I'm not sending you on a wild goose chase with what follows. I imagine you've read Pierre Clostermann's "The Big Show"?

The copy I have to hand is the unabridged hardback edition published in 2004, which has different photos. But my late Dad's copy, paperback, Corgi, and 1970s, has more and different photos of 122 Wing's Tempests.

One is captioned along the lines of "The Author taking off from Volkel. On his left is Brown, who did not return from this sortie".

Now, I'm probably entirely wrong and I can't check that book as it's 200 miles away, and Brown is a fairly common name. But it struck me as a coincidence, and it might be worthwhile your looking into it?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

With kind regards,

Mark 

Thank you Mark. I've not had a chance to see this book yet. Sounds like i should try and track one down. This is new information and i'm very grateful for you bringing it to my attention. I'm almost 100% certain It is my uncle Sgt Peter Corin Brown as mentioned. There was another Brown who joined after my uncle was POW and after Pierre C had left 56 Sqn. 

My uncle flew a sortie from B.80 Volkel on 3/4/45  ( His last during hostilities ) in NV 728  code US-X and Pierre Clostermann flew the same sortie in EJ 536 code US-W. I have the Squadrons Operations Book from the National Archives at Kew. 

In the records Pierre C often went 'hunting' alone after starting a sortie in concert with other squadron pilots.  A sort of Free French version of Adolf Galland ( who found his own successes following the same method) He was certainly very successful in this free hunting method he often adopted. I'ts quite nice to know my uncle flew with such an outstanding 'Ace'. 

I'm pleased you want to follow this project. It's a remarkable story. Real Boys Own stuff tempered by the grim realities of the final phase of the war in Europe.

Thank You,

Kind Regards

Andy 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Wow, this certainly is taking an interesting turn :)

I'm gob-smacked as we say Alt! Have had so much relevant information passed to me. I've uncovered a wealth of verified info. It promises to be very personal to me but also to give pleasure and interest to other BM members. !

Regards

Andy

• Like 2