Revell Hawker Tempest MkV 1:32 - 56 (Punjab) Squadron April 1945 , 2nd TAF ,Volkel, Holland - My uncle's aircraft (US-X)

Hi Andy,

I've just caught up the last couple of pages, and can I just say that the Tempest is looking superb! I'm sure your Uncle would be quietly proud to see his aeroplane taking such great shape in model form. You're creating a wonderful, poignant and very personal tribute to one of those brave young men. I for one find it very hard to imagine what they were feeling and what they went through.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the positive comments guys!  Makes it all worth while for sure. 😀I am most grateful for the appreciation.

I've decamped to Suffolk for the weekend and was tempted to bring the model with me but .. SWMBOd would have commented in a acerbic way if I had lol.. time for some relaxation!  

I was almost tempted to buy another Tempest on Amazon this week also.. £34.70 ... could do a different 56 squadron a/c my uncle flew maybe US-O ? Lol.. but have held off on this. Thank the same kit was £54 under Hannarts! 

Grounding myself back to reality .... I really should do another USAAF bird next... maybe using Tamiya Aluminium Lacquer? I have a B17 G in the stash already.. so maybe do Nine O Nine to partner my 91st BG Little Miss Mischief! It's nice to have options😀.

Regards, Andy 

• Like 3

Wonderful modelling Andy thanks for that picture showing the link with Mac too, even I get a bit emo when I think of those we lost who survived  the conflict

Cheers sir, your very best of health.

• Thanks 1

She's looking lovely Andy - the finish is in sight! Good luck with the rest of this wonderfully personal build,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, perdu said:

Wonderful modelling Andy thanks for that picture showing the link with Mac too, even I get a bit emo when I think of those we lost who survived  the conflict

Cheers sir, your very best of health.

Thanks Perdu! I salute your good friend Mac in equal measure too. Would have loved to have met him as you did!

Regards

Andy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dunny said:

She's looking lovely Andy - the finish is in sight! Good luck with the rest of this wonderfully personal build,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger! Should finish it soon! 5 months of work lol! But worth every moment!

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

A bit more progress tonight. All the decals applied and a little more panel line black and European mud wash in selected places. As tha s was a new aircraft I will do any weathering with a light touch! 

Sent some pics of progress to My German half cousin.. my Uncle Peter's son. 😀. He is suitably impressed glad to say! 

More pics tomorrow hopefully. 

Regards, Andy 

• Like 2

I can see the finish line in sight now! 

Whats left to do?".............

whip aerial from guitar wire and glue in. 

fix and tidy canopy

pitot tube glue in place 

rear wheel glue in place

glue prop on- yes I did do the spinner in RAF night with a slightly blue tinge! 

Make another harness? Perhaps? But not too fussed about any harness..

Foot hold ladder

glue on wing mounted pitot

a little tweek with weathering details

HG laminate gloss coat over decals..

IMG_0706

Over 3 months of work ... I'm pleased with the result so far! 

• Like 10

Just pondering where the whip aerial should be placed. Aft of the max roll back of the rear canopy .. certainly . But how far back and is it on the centre line of  the fuselage ? Or offset to the starboard side? ..

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking lovely fella.  It always amazes me when I get to a similar stage  I write a list of things to do and am always surprised how long the lists are!!!.

Great work on this

Chris

Most kind of you to say so Chris! Thanks. 

That list has shrunk Tonight! Lol 😂 but 3 items remaining ... have to wait a few days as other tasks have to take precedence! Quietly pleased with the results so far. I do like 1:32 scale for what it's worth.  Now just seen a 1:32 Trumpeter Jug for around £50 ! Online... Do I or Don't I? SWMBOd Had a £200 dress delivered today but it is for a social function later on in the year. hmmmm I did ask the question "So can I buy another model then? " (as you have enacted dresses n+1 protocols) the answer was.... You need to think about buying a new suit first.... ☹️☹️... ok new suit AND the Jug! Sorted! 😜🤣

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

SWMBOd Had a £200 dress delivered today

Mutually Assured Destruction. It's the way forward! 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Mutually Assured Destruction. It's the way forward! 

10 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Beautiful work mate :)

The Tempest, I mean.  We'll have to see if that suit and Jug trick will work out  :D

I have high hopes for Model Supremacy! I had a new suit in 2017... same body mass as then.. doubt anyone else will notice it's not new if I wear it! 😂😂

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking lovely fella.  It always amazes me when I get to a similar stage  I write a list of things to do and am always surprised how long the lists are!!!.

Great work on this

Chris

Cheers.. wing pitot tube and glue the canopy in the open position and the whip aerial fir the 'Rebecca' transponder .l  have made up some sort of harness from Tamiya tape too.. first model ive used ALL the correct decals on too.. ever I think! 

Should now think about posting the RFI very soon! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent, always love the stage of the models journey and sticking those last bits on.  Trouble is I spend more time looking at it than modelling!!!

Looking forward to the RFI 

Chris

Yes Chris! Exactly that. I'm doing this at this very moment!

It's very satisfying to ponder the finished article after so much effort. Reminds me of how I used to do models as a kid... throw them together and lots of glue everywhere! 😂 Frosted canopies.. lol

• Haha 1

NV728 "US-X" on 3rd APRIL 1945 has crossed the line! Finally. 

Canopy glued in open position... foot hold , Rebecca Transponder and wing pitot all glued in place..

What will I do with the rest of my life now? 😂😂😂

RFI post to be written up and new pics taken. I was planning to pose it in a diorama but I can do that later as have some more pressing tasks to undertake away from modelling. 

I have enjoyed this whole process, the historical research has been particularly rewarding.

So I respectfully dedicate this build to My Uncle Peter And to my late father, also named Peter. My old Dad would have loved seeing this completed.I wish both of them could see it ! 

Peter Corin Brown June 1924 - Nov 1983

Peter John Strang Jan 1933 - Oct 2020

Regards, Andy

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 5

Congratulations for finishing this one, looking forward to seeing the RFI post.  A great journey tgatvis a cracking tribute to your uncle and a very interesting journey you have taken the rest of us on too. After seeing this, I would love to get one of these, but what with the Special Hobby Whirlwind that will  be hopefully imminent,  I think getting one would send SWMBO over the edge and tge rolling pin might just also be winging it's way towards me old noggin!!!

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/05/2021 at 23:20, bigbadbadge said:

I think getting one would send SWMBO over the edge and tge rolling pin might just also be winging it's way towards me old noggin!!

Don't worry Chris I'll task 56 Squadron Tempests , The Firebirds, to patrol the combat area around said Noggin and deal with any rolling pin based threats! 😂😉

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Don't worry Chris I'll task 56 Squadron Tempests , The Firebirds, to patrol the combat area around said Noggin and deal with any rolling pin based threats! 😂😉

Excellent thanks fella.  😄

• Haha 1