Revell Hawker Tempest MkV 1:32 - 56 (Punjab) Squadron April 1945 , 2nd TAF ,Volkel, Holland - My uncle's aircraft (US-X)

24 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Raise a glass if you can and salute him

I certainly will, and it'll be the good stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Rejoice! The house painting had been finally completed! Now this should free me up to ondo some serious modelling! 😂

Think of all those Brownie points you have earned for future modelling purchases and bench time fella!!!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Think of all those Brownie points you have earned for future modelling purchases and bench time fella!!!

Chris

Now there's a thing! I did have that I'm mind when I started lol

Sad about Prince Phillip. War hero and then a lifetime of unstinting public service. Wonder if those who were critical of him and his privilege would step up to duty and give up their own lives and wants as he did?  One doubts it. Respect to the man! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Yes agreed, he did have a cracking innings.  I have to say I loved his political incorrectness!!!

Chris

Yes he did Chris! I was hoping he would make it to 100 just so he could receive a telegram from his wife! 

Sometimes a good dose of humorous openness and freedom of speech puts us back in to perspective! Seems that in some cases PC is oppressive rather than inclusive. He was also a champion for young people , inclusive in his outlook and actions before it even became a word on everyone's agenda. I'll be raising a glass to him tonight for sure! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not had much time over the last 10 days for modelling ! Also my shoulder issue has flared up again which affects my hand. Very painful! Oh well! Remember my old Mum's advice " Don't get old" lol 😂

On advice I have managed to get some gloss parquet flooring acrylic protection fluid so hope to try this out on an old model and maybe use this on this project.

• Like 1

Ah the joys of getting some free time to get this Tempest over the line! Tarted up the u/c wheel bays and added a few more bits. Had to make a replacement stringer as the Carpet monster took it!

This is a dry fit of the wheel stalks lol

I was mindful of the correct rake and position from all angles. Think I will glue them in position as pretty much the last job as I don't want to knock parts off when I'm doing the decals.. hope you enjoy this pic! 

Regards, Andy

IMG_0686

• Like 11

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good to see this one back on Andy, looking good.  Hope your shoulder is feeling better.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Yes shoulder is a lot better thanks.. and the knee ..and the ankle lol

Been watching the snooker a bit too! Something I'd often do with my Dad.🙂.

lets see how much more I can do with the Tempest over the coming week. SWMBOd is away his weekend so it's just me and the cats so hopeful of a bit more progress! 

Cheers, Andy

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gidge said:

Glad to e your back on track mate. Looking forward to seeing you bring this special project across the line

Why thank you Sir! I hope to get it finished soon.. might go for a 4 engined Heavy afterwards to recover! Feeling a B17 twinge coming on lol !

kind Regards, Andy

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

Thought I'd give a quick update. What a shocker I a man for keeping people in suspense! 🤣

Almost finished the undercart .. will glue the stalks in place when I feel less hypo and tired ! 

Filled and painted the cannon ports. I did these black internally.. not sure if this is accurate but .. looks good.

ive pulled out the Master cannon kit I got from Hannarts. Painted the cannons with Tamiya gunmetal.might do another coat. You won't really see them when in place that much but they will be there and they are the correct type for Uncle Peter's aircraft. Drilled the whole for the Pitot tube as well. 

I've glued the lovely exhaust Stubs in place. I left the joins in place as they welds show on the stubs . I pained these with Vallejo grey printer then, gloss black primer. The next coat was some Vallejo jet exhaust burnt paint. Then I teased some Imperial Leather talc on them and finished with some dry brushing of Tamiya thinned down Gun metal. .. that's a fair few operations I Know , but actually I'm happy with the result so far.

will take a few pics soon and post them soon. Priority is eating something now lol

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Thought I'd give a quick update. What a shocker I a man for keeping people in suspense! 🤣

Will continue to wait on the edge of my seat for the pictures! Good thing I have a seatbelt!

• Haha 2

Here's some pics! 

IMG_0699

IMG_0695

IMG_0696

IMG_0700

Couldn't resist taking a pic of the Imperial Leather talc LOL. To those of a certain vintage this is nostalgic. There was a time when Imperial Leather was the height of luxury... Old Spice .. IL and Brut33 were the only products available to a young gentleman to woo and seduce a girl or lady! 🤣😂🤣😉. The smell of it evokes both success and failure  at the local Friday night Disco lol 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

One sniff of that Imperial Leather ... launched me down memory lane like a cork out a bottle of prosecco! Lol

Did a bit more work tonight! Hurrah!

Master cannons glued in place

a little bit of panel line applied..in selected areas

applied the HG Laminate polymer gloss coating. I brushed this on full strength after I did a couple of test pieces.. inside the wheel wells and ... I'm impressed! Very thin coating and a nice even finish!

Regards, Andy

• Like 3

Rose early today and have started putting on the decals!

A mix of the ExtraDecal set for the Squadron code and reg number. The rest are the Revell OOB.

ive NOT used any decal soft or set on those applied so far. Let's see how the Revell decals dry out first. They look good IMHO. Quite satisfying to see them go on and feel like the model is making good solid progress..

IMG_0701

In this picture you can see the gloss sheen using the floor polish! 

I think it works! 

IMG_0702

Looks like the black foot strip at the wing roots is settling in to the rivets nicely..

• Like 5

Cracking on with this today.. 🙂😀

Roundels in position and also the Squadron codes "US-X"on the starboard side and "X-US" on the port side. I'm sure this is correct for this aircraft NV728. I refer to the picture taken of it with US-H from the Eduard kit book. This b/w picture was taken in March 1945.  I'm sure Eduard will not object to my reproducing the pic here. 

US-X  NV-728 at Volkel  March 1945

I feel so fortunate that there is an actual verified picture of the aircraft I'm depicting and ......it's my uncles aircraft! It doesn't get much better than that for a tribute build! 

I hope my uncle will approve of my efforts. For me it's a kind of remote experience when I imagine what he did. He killed someone and was almost killed himself. He watched others die around him at a frightening rate. I tend to romantically view air combat but I think for him it was a stark and very troubling experience. I recall he said something like I was frightened out of my skin all the time. What a man and what a generation!

anyway here's a few more pics. The Extra decals chipped in a couple of places so will have to do a repair but they certainly went on without the need for soft and setting chemicals. I will once all decals have been applied and some light weathering applied put another coat of floor gloss over them. 

IMG_0703

IMG_0704

IMG_0705

Will do a little more work over the weekend hopefully... it's not a perfect build and I'm sure other could do better or be more accurate but it's so far been a personal labour of love! Next after the model will be the diorama ill hope to pose it in! But that's for the RFI post ! 

Regards

Andy 

• Like 11