Revell Hawker Tempest MkV 1:32 - 56 (Punjab) Squadron April 1945 , 2nd TAF ,Volkel, Holland - My uncle's aircraft (US-X)

Will do fella.  As an aside, I am going to a double family funeral on Tuesday as my uncle and Auntie passed away recently after their son passed away just before Christmas.  At the Funeral another Aunt is giving me a whole bunch of letters from my Grandad to my Nan.  I will have a look through them to get a feeling of what life was like for the both of them back then, as you know he was killed in the Battle of the Barents s Sea on board HMS Achates so will be interesting to read anything related to the life on board ship. 

Sorry for the thread drift fella 

Chris

• Sad 4

My condolences Chris. Very sad to hear this. I know how this feels having lost 8 family and friends in the last year alone. None to Covid thankfully.

I have one letter from Grandad to Grandma on her birthday in 1943 sent from tunisia ..where he was serving with the 8th  Army. These kind of things are very touching . 

Kind Regards 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Andy, crikey 8 persons, my word , my condolences to you too fella. My three family members didn't die of Covid either. Yes i imagine it will be emotional too. I hopefully will get them on Tuesday and will see what is there.   

Chris

• Thanks 1

Coming to this thread late in the day, but looks rather nice now you've got some paint on it.

Without reading back, I assume you eventually found out the serial number of his aircraft then.

All looks seriously impressive. Oh & out of interest are those acrylics or the orange line Hataka paints. I use the red line stuff & find that they do really good paint matches & the paint quality to be pretty good.

All the best

Martin

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

20210314_133756

Will redo the yellow leading edges not quite equal on both wings! 

I think I'd do these after the cammo as is my usual method as being curved a little harder to judge the curve correctly on both sides. This was done using the flexible masking tape

Looking nice & crisp Andy - not far off now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Coming to this thread late in the day, but looks rather nice now you've got some paint on it.

Without reading back, I assume you eventually found out the serial number of his aircraft then.

All looks seriously impressive. Oh & out of interest are those acrylics or the orange line Hataka paints. I use the red line stuff & find that they do really good paint matches & the paint quality to be pretty good.

All the best

Martin

Thank you Martin! 

I found  out each aircraft he flew from the squadron Operation Record Book . For 56 squadron it gives squadron codes also. Also I got a lot of snippets of info from BM members and other forums. My uncle's Flying Logs are missing from his papers. 

The ocean grey is Hataka Red line the others are Tamiya XF . The navigation lights are coloured using Sharpie coloured pens.

Glad you like it! 

Kind Regards

Andy

• Like 1

Top side is pretty much near completion now. Redid the tail RAF Green on the Starboard side so it matches the Eduard Royal kit photo of the actual aircraft depicted.. US-X NV-728.

I'm just about ready to start the masking for the underside. It will be sprayed  using the Hataka Red Line Mid Ocean Grey. I'm more and more impressed by these Hataka paints the more i've used them. To my mind the colour match for the RAF WW2 Fighter set is pretty much spot on.

Had the first of my two Covid vaccine jabs today.  as The Joker says.. What doesn't kill, you just makes you... stranger! LOL

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Sounds like you're really cracking on with this Andy. 

I've got my first jab today. Been looking forward to this for a long time! 

Thanks Alan.. it is all coming together nicely!

I do have slight flu like symptoms but nothing i can't endure! Better than getting Covid i think!

Regards

Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I will raise a glass tomorrow evening with dinner. I will look at my family's faces as I proclaim "Up the Firebirds " as they will have no idea, until I explain afterwards!!!

Chris

Brilliant! Thank you.. i've told as many people at work as i possibly can. I'm pretty sure this would have amused Uncle Peter no end.. he was a bit of a joker ! 

Seem to be feeling better from the Covid jab now too.  

Thanks

Kind Regards

Andy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Brilliant! Thank you.. i've told as many people at work as i possibly can. I'm pretty sure this would have amused Uncle Peter no end.. he was a bit of a joker ! 

Seem to be feeling better from the Covid jab now too.  

Thanks

Kind Regards

Andy

No worries Andy, got my jab in the morning. 

Chris

• Like 2

Not much progress sadly! Had a lot of stress and grief at work and my first Covid vaccine made me a little unwell! No pain no gain as they say . Had to do the outside house woodwork painting as the scaffolding has to go back and in two weeks lol. Am exhausted! This week being my last week at work will have a little time to get this project a bit closer to completion soon. 

76 years  ago today Uncle Peter flew his first sortie. He engaged and shot down a Fw190 D of JG 25. I believe the pilot survived and hope to raise a glass to him and my uncle. Both were brave young men and had it not been for the War they may have shared friendship through their love of the Air! 

Regards

Andy 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Hope you're doing well Andy and looking forward to more progress once things start to settle down a bit!

Thanks Jeff. A difficult time of transition. I guess things could be much worse and are for many others. As Churchill famously commented after Alamein.... This is not the End (of my working career) but it is perhaps the beginning ...of the End 😂

Looking forward to getting the Tempest finished! 

Regards, Andy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Thanks Jeff. A difficult time of transition. I guess things could be much worse and are for many others. As Churchill famously commented after Alamein.... This is not the End (of my working career) but it is perhaps the beginning ...of the End 😂

Looking forward to getting the Tempest finished! 

Regards, Andy

Life has a nasty habit of getting in the way.  My project has been delayed as well. I hope you're feeling better and the work poo-poo ease up

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gidge said:

Life has a nasty habit of getting in the way.  My project has been delayed as well. I hope you're feeling better and the work poo-poo ease up

Thanks Gidge and Welcome to BM! 

Truth is i've left work now.. sort of semi-retired i guess ! 

Regards

Andy

Let's hope I can get the house painting completed before Tuesday then settle in to getting some more work in this Tempest done!😂. Since giving up work I seem to be doing more things! Lol

I thought about getting a  vintage kit of the 1:32 Revell FW 190 Dora as this was the plane my researches determined Uncle Peter shot down. Thanks to the excellent work of Don Caldwell I'm pretty sure it was one from JG 26. I've seen one on a well known web market place and pretty good for the money I guess. Though it dates from 1971 might be worth a punt.. wait what am I doing? There's still loads of other kits in the stash awaiting building.. lol 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

... wait what am I doing? There's still loads of other kits in the stash awaiting building..

Ah, good to see I'm not alone in that :D :banghead:

• Haha 1