Revell Hawker Tempest MkV 1:32 - 56 (Punjab) Squadron April 1945 , 2nd TAF ,Volkel, Holland - My uncle's aircraft (US-X)

3 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Would the museum you fly at have a website? 

Regards

Andy

Yes, but I'm afraid it isn't very good.

www.classicaircraft.ca

At the airport we also have a privately owned Vultee BT-13 Valiant and a second museum with RCAF artifacts plus a full scale Avro Arrow replica. We may be seeing a large English designed/Canadian built WW2 veteran with high wing, STOL,  Army support/ Special Ops/ target tow aircraft, one of only 2 flying in the world move here this summer. But it's a  bit hush, hush 🙄 

60 miles west of Toronto is the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. They have experience flights including a PBY Canso, a B25 and a Lancaster. Much bigger affair than us but we're friendlier and at a small airport in the countryside not a big hub airport.

www.warplane.com

90 miles ( but only a 1.25 hour drive) east of Toronto is the RCAF museum with many artifacts, static aircraft and a restored Halifax.

www.airforcemuseum.ca

Maybe see you over here one day.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Have you been to the site of the crash? Perhaps you might find a piece of the said aircraft?

I've visited the site Andy it was cleared in 1984 of the last remnants now held at Nelsam near the old Raf station at Usworth roll on the

lifting of lockdown I love spending time there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevej60 said:

We had a Hurricane crash a mile up the road

So far Steve ..

Squadron Codes NQ (Nov 1938 – Sep 1939)
FT (Sep 1939 – May 1947) so that's a 1 in 26 chance of getting it right..😀 might buy 26 x Revell 1:32 Hurricanes and do the lot! 🤣

Had a quick look in the NA. Plenty of combat reports for 43 squadron pilots but noting about Sgt L.V. Toogood as yet. Leave it with me and i'll have another look. 

Hurricane I, L1963 of 43 Squadron has been reported by RAF for AIB investigation and given file reference U.782 B per Min of Aircraft Production record.. now that record might also give Squadron code?

Have done a posting on another site  where this incident is talked about in detail. See what turns up!

Regards

Andy

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Cheers Andy.

mon plasir!

Might be one of the following as it was October 1940

RAF 43 Squadron, based at Tangmere England Aug 1940 engaged JU88s attacking the base!

FT-K 

FT-L

FT-M

FT-N 

FT-O 

FT-Q 

FT-R 

FT-S 

FT-T 

FT-U 

FT-X

FT-Y 

5 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

We may be seeing a large English designed/Canadian built WW2 veteran with high wing, STOL,  Army support/ Special Ops/ target tow aircraft, one of only 2 flying in the world move here this summer. But it's a  bit hush, hush 🙄 

That wouldn't be the one that had an unfortunate accident a few years back, would it? I was about to book a flight in it that summer when it happened.

1 hour ago, Jeff G said:

That wouldn't be the one that had an unfortunate accident a few years back, would it? I was about to book a flight in it that summer when it happened.

No it's a different one. But it won't be available for passenger rides, just displays.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bill Bunting said:

No it's a different one. But it won't be available for passenger rides, just displays.

Exciting nonetheless! I'll have to pop down and see some day. I'm just a few hours north.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I have a cunning plan Steve!😀

43 (China-British) Squadron Royal Air Force (43 (China-British) Sqn RAF) - see if the Squadron ORB ( Operations Record Book ) is available for download  from the National Archive?. This could be mentioned in the day to day details. If you're lucky the squadron code will be recorded there! If it was an OTU usually only exceptional events were worthy of note. A pilot sadly killed during a training flight would be such an event.

Also i believe the NA holds RAF accident reports too. Think the range is WW1- 1960s .

I'm going out for a cycle soon but if you give me a couple of days i'd be most happy to see what i can find for you.  

Have you been to the site of the crash? Perhaps you might find a piece of the said aircraft? Though i think most of the WW2 crash sites have been visited by metal detectorists since the 1960's .. might be lucky! Also looking at the crash report from your link  most likely is was buried quite deeply. 

Regards, Andy

Bingo! Steve.. 

got the correct ORB  but sorry in 43 Squadron seems to be the rule that Squadron Codes were not recorded. Sorry! That's the pilot sadly killed and record as such. 

Regards

Andy

Sgt Tooley

On 19/02/2021 at 08:49, perdu said:

He is better known to IPMS members of the time as AML Kennaugh, who was a long time serving member of the Society's committee.

"I never flew a Spitfire, there wasn't room inside one for me!" He said as he was larger than life in every way but a great man to chat to.

Perdu, i was looking at the ORB again and found this nice entry for your old friend 'Mac'

Tubby Ken

Were you ever aware that he had to bail out over the sea? - "There wasn't room inside" ! 🤣 .. love these little details and how they bring these people to life after so long! 

Kind Regards,

Andy

Thanks for that extra little bit, 'Tubby' huh?

Well that was 'generous' as was Mac with his know how, thanks again for popping these anecdotes into your uncle's story.

👍

• Thanks 1

Just thought i'd share the 'method' i've been using to access the ORBs for RAF squadrons.

This site is just ace if you know the squadron number you are after ! 

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/air27/index.php?qname=&cur=0&qn1=&qnum=&qdate=

Downloading digitised copies from the National Archives is easy and during lockdown it's free. All you need to do is register with an email address and log on. You don't get spammed by them either! 

Kind Regards

Andy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, perdu said:

Thanks for that extra little bit, 'Tubby' huh?

Well that was 'generous' as was Mac with his know how, thanks again for popping these anecdotes into your uncle's story.

👍

My pleasure Perdu! 

Regards, Andy

My Cousin Tom, has possession of Uncle Peter's wartime 'scrap books' which cover his time from joining the RAF until the end of his training. He sent me this picture  in the scrapbook at the end where Uncle Peter ponders his future role .. Bomber's or Fighters?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Bill Bunting said:

That's so wonderful.

Sure is. I'm not sure where the colour pictures used came from? Probably an RAF publication. Can't work out what the 4 engine Heavy is.. Stirling or Lancaster? Looks like a Hurricane NF though.

1 minute ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Sure is. I'm not sure where the colour pictures used came from? Probably an RAF publication. Can't work out what the 4 engine Heavy is.. Stirling or Lancaster? Looks like a Hurricane NF though.

Close, it's a Handley Page Halifax.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Close, it's a Handley Page Halifax.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.. a Halli-bag! 🤣😀 No wonder i can't identify it as i think it's one of the RAF WW2 heavies i've never made a model of! The clue is in the Vertical tail stabilser i guess.. the sort of D -Shape! 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

That's brilliant what a wonderful  picture to be sent, the original looks in fantastic condition too. Wowee. 

Chris

I can't wait to get my hands on them in 1:1 scale Chris! Have to be post lockdown but i can wait! We are still missing his Flight Log books sadly 😪

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I can't wait to get my hands on them in 1:1 scale Chris! Have to be post lockdown but i can wait! We are still missing his Flight Log books sadly 😪

Crikey I bet you can't wait.   That will be amazing to see and hold that history especially due to he family connection.   I love looking at my Dad's Navy photo album,  that's great and I see something new i didn't notice before.

Great stuff

Chris

• Like 1