Revell Hawker Tempest MkV 1:32 - 56 (Punjab) Squadron April 1945 , 2nd TAF ,Volkel, Holland - My uncle's aircraft (US-X)

Hi Andy

I have just been looking at some information on two local RAF Airfields during WW2, RAF Brenzett (actually nr to Ivychurch) and RAF Newchurch both only a short distance away from each other nr to me here on the Romney Marsh in Kent and noted that your Uncle's Squadron was based at Newchurch from April to September 1944 with their TempestĀ  mk V aircraft. Not sure if you were aware.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chris .

ive heard of RAF Newchurch before. However I didn't realise 56 had been based there earlier inĀ the War . I guess it was a good base location for 'Divers'Ā missions being in the V1 corridor. My uncle joined the squadron much later in March 45.Ā 

It is a very nice place Romney Marsh. I like it and Dungeness of course! Not been there for some years now. Maybe post lockdownšŸ™‚. Think it's the settingĀ for the start of Great Expectations?Ā 

Knd Regards

AndyĀ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Thanks Chris .

ive heard of RAF Newchurch before. However I didn't realise 56 had been based there earlier inĀ the War . I guess it was a good base location for 'Divers'Ā missions being in the V1 corridor. My uncle joined the squadron much later in March 45.Ā 

It is a very nice place Romney Marsh. I like it and Dungeness of course! Not been there for some years now. Maybe post lockdownšŸ™‚. Think it's the settingĀ for the start of Great Expectations?Ā 

Knd Regards

AndyĀ 

Hi AndyĀ 

I had seen some photos of the Tempests before and wondered whether there could be a connection.Ā  Ā 

Yes it's a lovely place,Ā  I live about 5 mins along from Dungeness and it is quite a unique place.Ā 

I used to remember as a kid playing in a couple of craters from the doodle bugs, they were on the map of the ones that hit Kent and not far from us.Ā  They were all grassed over in the 80s and were in a farmers field by a massive pond we used to pond dip in as youngsters. There is a house on the Brenzett end of New RomneyĀ  whichĀ up until last 10-25 years used to have the green and black camouflage painted on the walls, now you can just see flecks and a very faintĀ pattern on the end wall. It is all very interesting .Ā Ā 

Chris

• Like 2

Ā 

Some more progress today, in between meetings!šŸ˜‰

Prop assembled - Looks really nice IMHO

Port wing halvesĀ glued.. and the Stb wing halves.. nicely coming together now and the fit is acceptable.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

DISASTER!!!

Rear canopyĀ  fell on the floor unnoticed and i trod on it.. snapped in two.šŸ˜Ŗ

Ā 

No idea how long Revell will take to reply to enquiry..Ā  it can't be glued together without a massive crack visible. have glued it so will have to live with it for the moment!

Ā 

Any ideas where i could get an alternative part from other than Revell ?

Had a look on 'Tinterne't but couldn't find anything in 1:32

Ā 

Maybe someone in BM has one they would like to sell?

Ā 

Arghh..(quietly said as it's so late!)

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Sad 4

Hi mate.Ā 
Ā 

Might be worth trying Special hobby? I had broken transparencies on a SH seafire I bought off the well known auction site. I sent them a message and they sent me out a whole new clear sprue.Ā 
Ā 

Cheers

Ā 

Ash

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doccur said:

Hi mate.Ā 
Ā 

Might be worth trying Special hobby? I had broken transparencies on a SH seafire I bought off the well known auction site. I sent them a message and they sent me out a whole new clear sprue.Ā 
Ā 

Cheers

Ā 

Ash

Thanks for the suggestion Ash. May do that as well. Have glued the halves together so could make up a canopy fabric cover to hide the imperfection. I have seen a pic of a canvas cover over the bubble to keep the cockpit cooler so could choose this an an option if i can't soucce a new canopy part at reasonable cost.

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coming together nicely .. apart fro the issue with the broken canopy

Ā 

Ā 

WIN_20210225_10_49_18_Pro

Ā 

WIN_20210225_10_49_41_Pro

Ā 

WIN_20210225_10_49_58_Pro

Ā 

Ā 

Canopy .. I have seen a pic of a canvas cover over the canopy on a Tempest .. so if i cant replace it .. maybe this is an option..

Ā 

WIN_20210225_10_50_31_Pro

Ā 

The wing dihedral looks ok too.. flat on inboardĀ  and looks ok on the outboard sections of the wings. The wing assembly went nicely together at the wing roots. not massive gap to fill!Ā 

Ā 

The wing's and fuselage feel quite heavy and solid when glued together.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 6

Now here's a thing.Ā  The 'whip' aerial...

Ā 

Maybe i can use one of my cat's whiskers that have fallen out!Ā šŸ¤£Ā they curve nicely ans taper to the end in the right way.

Ā 

But don't worry... i'll find one that's naturally dropped out. One is cat has white and the other black whiskers.Ā 

Ā 

No animals were hurt in the making of this model LOL

Ā 

• Haha 2

Andy it may well be time to learn plunge moulding with the two broken halves glued together by purchasing Milliput and filling the broken canopy with it and moulding a new, very thin one for yourself.

Ā 

If you cannot get a replacement we will talk you through a very easy process

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, perdu said:

Andy it may well be time to learn plunge moulding with the two broken halves glued together by purchasing Milliput and filling the broken canopy with it and moulding a new, very thin one for yourself.

Ā 

If you cannot get a replacement we will talk you through a very easy process

Ā 

Ā 

Sounds an interesting proposition.. does it involve hot water and plastic?Ā Ā 

Ā 

I have saved a larger scale ( maybe 1:24 scale )Ā  Sea Fury canopy from an old WestWings balsa kit i made that got damaged beyond repair ... maybe this can be cut down and manipulated as a replacement ?

Regards

Andy

Ā 

Squadron make (used to) a vac canopy in 1/32 scale for the Hawker Typhoon, I used one on my MDC Typhoon and it looks great, the canopies on the Typhoon and Tempest look very much the same.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ā 

Cheers

Ā 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spitfire said:

Squadron make (used to) a vac canopy in 1/32 scale for the Hawker Typhoon, I used one on my MDC Typhoon and it looks great, the canopies on the Typhoon and Tempest look very much the same.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ā 

Cheers

Ā 

Dennis

Thank you for that lead Dennis. Will have a look and see if they are still making this.

Cheers

Regards, Andy

May also be an idea to contact Bob at MDC as their Typhoon kit has a vac formed canopy and they may have spares.

https://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/

Found one

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/canopy-hawker-typhoon-bubble-canopy-9411-squadron-9411-aircraft-modelling-canopies/product/?action=prodinfo&art=51006

Ā 

Ā 

Cheers

Ā 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First read this excellent guide. Itā€™s really not that hard. I use either my grill or a Lidl heat gun that cost a tenner. The Typhoon canopy shouldnā€™t be too hard the key thing I think is to have the plastic at the right temperature.

Ā 

If youā€™re taking a mold from the broken canopy Iā€™d try sculpy or polymer clay, Iā€™ve had issues with not being able to get the milliput out of a canopy and ending up having to go carve a wooden buck.

The sculpey wonā€™t stick to the plastic and when youā€™re happy with the shape you can just bake it to harden it.

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

What i like most about BMĀ  is... how much everyone is willing to share their expertise and knowledge. THANKS to everyone who's suggested things so far.Ā šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ˜€

Ā 

Will read through the methods suggested.Ā 

The commercially available one's are a bit expensive including the postage costs. So maybeĀ  the way to go is to fabricate my own replacement..

Ā 

Cheers

Andy

• Like 4