Revell Hawker Tempest MkV 1:32 - 56 (Punjab) Squadron April 1945 , 2nd TAF ,Volkel, Holland - My uncle's aircraft (US-X)

I'm starting this build thread as a tribute to my Uncle, Sgt P C Brown.(later promoted to W/O 2 )

I only recently found out some detailed information about his wartime RAF service. The key to unlock the records was his middle name. I found his record card in the National Archives after my late father told me his middle name was "CORIN".

This build thread i've decided to start up as a WIP.  It's the Revell 1:32 Hawker Typhoon V kit. The reason I chose this was that my uncle flew this type in March/April 1945 in Northern Germany.

I'm intending to use the Hataka Paints set for RAF. Have tried these out on a Boulton Paul Defiant and a Tamiya Mosquito to learn how to apply the RAF Temperate cammo scheme with an airbrush.

A little about my uncle...

I knew a few details about his RAF service during the war. It was only very recently that i actually discovered some more of the story from official documents. I'd been trying to find out something more about him for many years. The key piece of information was his middle name. My late father told me a few months before he died that Uncle Peter's "C" in his name was "Corin". This was the key that unlocked his service number and eventually his complete squadron operations book, held in the National Archives . 

I decided i would build the kit as one of the squadron aircraft that he flew the last operational sortie before the wars end. 

I can determine that he flew 11 sorties with 56 (Punjab) Squadron flying from Volkel in Holland. On his very first sortie he destroyed a FW-190 D of JG 26 . On his 11th  sortie he suffered total engine failure and crashed in to a wood, the plane exploding, and was assumed killed. It is this aircraft I plan to depict. US-X  / serial number  - NV728 .W/O W DM Tuck suffered engine failure on the same sweep and he believed that both himself and Peter Brown were hit by small arms fire on a Low level strafe damaging their cooling system and leading to both engines seize ups. Chris Thomas interviewed Bill Tuck and this was the story he related.

I have not discovered what happened after he crashed exactly yet. He was held as a POW and was reunited with Bill Tuck in a camp of sorts. I do know he's mentioned as back in the squadron in August 1945. He was still in Germany in October 1946.I should find out these details from his MOD full service record once i get them! I've applied through the correct channels but the MOD have told me this may take up to 6 months due to Covid. For this build i think it's not necessary as the aircraft depicted i can place with uncle Peter on 3rd April 1945 with 56 Squadron.

I have bought the kit, some Master brass gun parts/pitot tube  and a full set of the correct decals so i can depict his aircraft.

I have managed to get some actual pics of my uncle at the time.

He joined the RAF sometime in September 1942. He went to Canada under the 'The Big Plan' to learn to fly between 10th August 1943 and 26th November 1944. January 1945 he was at an OTU in Yourshire and on the 19th March1945 he was with 56 Squadron in Holland. 

I'm doing this build as a tribute to my Uncle Peter. 

Here's some pics of him and the reference material i intend using! 

Sgt Peter Brown with 56 Squadron Tempest V ( unknown aircraft ) 

IMG_4041

Sgt Peter Brown - Front foreground Right - With the 'chaps' at dispersal -  56 Squadron  - Germany 1945?

IMG_4043

e

Sgt Peter Brown sitting on a Hurricane wing. Date/Place unknown. The Aircraft nose art says "81 - Jean" He named one of his daughters "Jean" 

IMG_4045-Colorized

Peter Brown in a Hurricane cockpit 

IMG_4046-Colorized

Found this Profile online . Same squadron, different aircraft but at crucially the right time so will consider this as my primary colour reference. 

Paint scheme 56 sqdn US-B  NV973 SSgt Stanley A Sherperd Vokel March 28th 1945

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
edited text
  • Like 22

• Col Walter E Kurtz changed the title to Revell Hawker Tempest MkV 1:32 - 56 (Punjab) Squadron April1945 , 2nd TAS Volkel, Holland - My uncle's aircraft (US-X)
59 minutes ago, Procopius said:

The cockpit your uncle is in appears to be a Hurricane. 

This should be a spectacular build, and congratulations on your uncle's war record.

Ah thank you so much. I have changed the pic title to Hurricane. Looking at it.. you're right i'm sure. 

Thanks for you congratulations. He was brave man indeed.. a hero in my eyes for sure. He died suddenly in 1983. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Peter Brown on a Spitfire (?) wing . Possibly during training? , maybe in Canada?

IMG_4045-Colorized

What an excellent reason to build a kit, I shall follow the build with interest, but also I do hope you find out more about your Uncle Peters war.

Looking at this photo, I think we can rule out training, as your uncle has his wings, and also does not wear the white flash that cadets wore in their caps. Others more knowledgeable will ID the aircraft, but it could be the same Hurricane he is shown sat in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

brilliant story - enjoy the build. I have done similar - my dad's halifax (298 squadron - he was a rear gunner) and my uncles ship - HMS Mourne, unfortunately sunk in 1944, he never made it as well as a V1 (one of which which destroyed my nan's home along with several others in late 44), all of which have a personal attachment. You will get great joy from this build as it means so much to you and your family. We are so lucky that we live as we do due to everything they did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

What an excellent reason to build a kit, I shall follow the build with interest, but also I do hope you find out more about your Uncle Peters war.

Looking at this photo, I think we can rule out training, as your uncle has his wings, and also does not wear the white flash that cadets wore in their caps. Others more knowledgeable will ID the aircraft, but it could be the same Hurricane he is shown sat in.

It's a humbling experience for me to build this in his honour.

Thank you for your knowledgeable input Mike.  This kind of information is invaluable. I'm so glad people can help me with extra bits that helps me understand his story. 

I do have a relative who has a picture (requesting they send it by email to me ) .. Showing Peter and his two brothers and parents . He has a forage cap on with a white flash in this pic if i recall correctly.

Until i get the MOD records I don't know if he was in any squadrons earlier than March 45 , when he joined 56 Squadron. Maybe he flew Hurricanes with another outfit. Though  when posted to the 83 GSU it's not clear if this is his Tempest hours only or the absolute total flying hours from start of career. 

I was told on good authority he's mentioned in a book that he was assigned to

• No 56 OTU, Course No. 1A (Tempest) Duration of Course 10 weeks 2.1.45 - 13.5.45 - Sgt.  Brown, P. C. Brit. Assessment A 13.3.45 Posted to 83 G.S.U. Flying Hours Day 52.05 Night 0,50. 
  • 14/01/1945 56 OTU - Tempest V JN819 -Damaged in landing accident, RAF Milfield - Sgt P C BROWN 

I'm really enjoying the research aspect of this build and feel confident i'll be able to get the full story in time!

Thank you

Cheers

Andy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robert said:

History that is close to you is a great feeling when you have realised it in the form of a tribute.

Regards

Robert

Thank you Robert. It promises to be a special experience indeed, just because of the relationship with him.  Cheers, Andy

1 hour ago, npb748r said:

brilliant story - enjoy the build. I have done similar - my dad's halifax (298 squadron - he was a rear gunner) and my uncles ship - HMS Mourne, unfortunately sunk in 1944, he never made it as well as a V1 (one of which which destroyed my nan's home along with several others in late 44), all of which have a personal attachment. You will get great joy from this build as it means so much to you and your family. We are so lucky that we live as we do due to everything they did. 

Thanks. I'm most interested to hear your Dad and uncle's stories. It is so true that we are lucky due to their sacrifices!  The Greatest Generation? i think so.. will love this build! Kind Regards

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

This will be a great tribute and a cracking project will tag along if I may.  

Chris 

Honoured you will tag along Chris ! Thank you Kindly Sir!  You have liked some of my earlier work if i recall . I won't let the side down on this build don't you worry. It should be my best yet! LOL.🤣 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Wonderful back story and a good subject to start with.  Will enjoy watching this.

Thank you Marklo. The more i read of the Squadron Ops book the more i realise just how brave these men were. That's not to dismiss the equal courage of their German opponents as well. Hope to pin down and find out more about the German pilot he shot down too. But that will be another story.

Enjoy the show!

Kind Regards

Andy

The picture with your uncle sitting on the wing might also be a Hurricane - at least, that wing root & crank starter hole suggest so.

Love a build with history behind it :) And this one is basically in my family's backyard.

Volkel AB was known as ALG B-80 in the latter part of the war. 
Other ALG's in the close vicinity are B-88 Heesch, B-84 Rips (used by 126 Wing, Spits Mk.IX) and  B-82 Grave.
My granddad was recruited to  help dig the drainage trenches on both B-88 and B-80.

On 2 October 1944 B-82 became the temporary home of 125 Wing (RAF) and 127 Wing (RCAF), with a total of 8 squadrons.

The 125 Wing consisted of 80 and 274 Sqn (newly converted onto the Tempest V) and 130 and 402 Sqn (Spitfire XIV).

The two Tempest squadrons left for Volkel to join 122 Wing after only 4 days.

56 Sqn used Volkel from October 1944-April 1945, before moving to  B.112 Rheine-Hopsten and from April-May 1945 to B.152 Fassberg.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

The picture with your uncle sitting on the wing might also be a Hurricane - at least, that wing root & crank starter hole suggest so.

Love a build with history behind it :) And this one is basically in my family's backyard.

Volkel AB was known as ALG B-80 in the latter part of the war. 
Other ALG's in the close vicinity are B-88 Heesch, B-84 Rips (used by 126 Wing, Spits Mk.IX) and  B-82 Grave.
My granddad was recruited to  help dig the drainage trenches on both B-88 and B-80.

On 2 October 1944 B-82 became the temporary home of 125 Wing (RAF) and 127 Wing (RCAF), with a total of 8 squadrons.

The 125 Wing consisted of 80 and 274 Sqn (newly converted onto the Tempest V) and 130 and 402 Sqn (Spitfire XIV).

The two Tempest squadrons left for Volkel to join 122 Wing after only 4 days.

56 Sqn used Volkel from October 1944-April 1945, before moving to  B.112 Rheine-Hopsten and from April-May 1945 to B.152 Fassberg.

Perfect Alt! Thank you. Nice to know your family also have a connection too! 

Yes, I think the starter crank hole you identify makes it... a Hurricane ! Well Spotted Sir!

I see references to shared mission responsibilities between 56 ,  80 and 274 Sqns. Uncle Peter joined 56 at B80 on 19th March 45. one of a draft of 5 new NCO replacement pilots. 

Kindest Regards

Andy

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Mike you are spot on. Here's Peter with his younger brothers and parents in 1943, North London. Note his Cap with the white 'flash' .. Thanks for your knowledge on this.  His brother Maurice definitely survived the war. Not sure what his 'Trade' was Air Gunner? Looks like could be two letters.. Photo is not good enough to see really.

Fam. Brown

• Like 4

Looking forward to this as I am half way through a 1/32 PCM Hawker Tempest at the moment and I have always been a fan of these powerful looking machines.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Looking forward to this as I am half way through a 1/32 PCM Hawker Tempest at the moment and I have always been a fan of these powerful looking machines.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. How long has your Tempest been on the bench? Look forward to seeing your completed Tempest! Hope you enjoy mine !

I did read a really good book on the Typhoon last year. Typhoon the combat history by Richard Townsend Bickers.

And yes I think the ground attack close support  role required extreme bravery to carry out. And it also seems that getting shot down by their own aircraft was a constant problem as the Typhoon looked too like the FW190.

8 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I did read a really good book on the Typhoon last year. Typhoon the combat history by Richard Townsend Bickers.

And yes I think the ground attack close support  role required extreme bravery to carry out. And it also seems that getting shot down by their own aircraft was a constant problem as the Typhoon looked too like the FW190.

Thanks Marklo. I'll have a look for that book too!

Yes i can see the similarities between the two. The tempest engine also had early reliability problems too. That's how my uncle came to force land and crash! 

quite simply my uncle Peter was and remains .. one of my heroes !

read in his squadron records that they managed to acquire a German tank and the Engineering 'erks got it going. They would get rather drunk and go haring around the airfield in it! MUst have been fun despite the dangers they faced every day!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Thanks Dennis. How long has your Tempest been on the bench? Look forward to seeing your completed Tempest! Hope you enjoy mine !

It's been on the go for a while as it is an old short run kit, yours is I presume the Revell reboxing of the Special Hobby kit which I have in the stash and looks far superior

looking at other people's builds.

Cheers

Dennis,

• Thanks 1

Have made a start on this properly now! Cockpit coming together nicely. I will endeavour to post some pics very soon! 

One question i have is which wheels to use on this kit? Four or Five spoked? 

Some pics on how the cockpit is shaping up.. Hatake RAF paint set used..

20210202_103930

20210202_103840

Added more pictures
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Have made a start on this properly now! Cockpit coming together nicely. I will endeavour to post some pics very soon! 

One question i have is which wheels to use on this kit? Four or Five spoked? 

Depends on the aircraft, Series 1 would be five spoke, Series 2 four spoke, but here is a link to the experts

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Hello

It probably would have been a 4 spoke wheel.

There is a picture of US-X, NV728 if that is the aircraft you are interested in @Chris Thomas book accompanying the Eduard Royal Tempest boxing. In fact he references it as being flown by a Sgt. P.C. Brown which I suppose has to be your uncle!

I wouldn't want to post that picture as I'm not sure of copyright etc. etc. but maybe others may do so if they are more sure of their facts.

• Thanks 1