Jump to content

SAC Monogram B-52.


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

That looks great! That kit was the last one I worked on as a kid and it defeated me. Always wanted to try another B-52D in that scale. 

Hi! Thank you for the comment.

It happened the very same thing to me. I actually tried to do one when I was a kid but I had no success! I was very frustrated as B-52 was since ever my number one model!

I promised myself I would have tried again one!

I suggest you to try it! At the beginning is a bit strange, I was very skeptical, I started gluing the engines then, slowly everything become easier! 

Try it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DavidRezabek said:

Well done! While I am a fan of camo’d BUFFS too I thank they look best in the NMF like you have here and the tall tail B-52s are the best! Thanks for posting!

Thank you for your comment!

Yes tall tail B-52s are superb, the best! And yes even though majority of people like camo'd B-52s, I think that BUFF in NMF is at his best!

Thank you again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations,...... that is so much better than the one that I made as a teenager,...... yours looks just how I wanted mine to look,..... and I love the stressed metal effect on the tail fin too.

Cheers

          Tony

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Congratulations,...... that is so much better than the one that I made as a teenager,...... yours looks just how I wanted mine to look,..... and I love the stressed metal effect on the tail fin too.

Cheers

          Tony

Thank you Tony!😀

Yes, I was quite surprised, I think I had even a bit of luck because at the end the model came out more or less as I wanted and this doesn't happen often to me, seriously! 

In the slideshow I wanted to show what I think were the most important steps! Try to make one Tony it's not impossible at all!! 

All the best!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Glad I now have a good colour reference for the buff. The display case is much needed and nicely made. 

Thank you so much!!

For the "dull aluminium areas" I would suggest to try "Testors Aluminium" or  "LP38 TAMIYA LACQUER PAINT: FLAT ALUMINIUM".

I think the pigment of these two paints is much finer then the  Tamiya xf-16 I had to use.

Anyway thank you for the interest! 

Giovanni

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, giovanni said:

Thank you so much!!

For the "dull aluminium areas" I would suggest to try "Testors Aluminium" or  "LP38 TAMIYA LACQUER PAINT: FLAT ALUMINIUM".

I think the pigment of these two paints is much finer then the  Tamiya xf-16 I had to use.

Anyway thank you for the interest! 

Giovanni

I have never airbrush testors aluminum yet, it might still work as long as I can still get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I have never airbrush testors aluminum yet, it might still work as long as I can still get it.

Yes, very true, here in Europe I couldn't find Testors (Only Acrylics are available)  .

On ebay USA, Testors enamel, for example, it's available here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Testors-1781-Aluminum-Color-Enamel-Paint-1-2-oz-Flat-Model-Master/353323216577?epid=2254496430&hash=item5243b46ec1:g:MecAAOSwlvNcnY6N

I don't know if they will ship it where you live. That is the main problem!

I remember I used it about 20 years ago and the pigment was very fine, very good looking. I still have some old jars of Testors aluminium enamel and it's still perfect, like new.

Even "Alclad dull aluminium" is very good I think , I forgot to mention it before but I think that the "shelf life" of this one is not very long. I had to throw away few jars some time ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Far out!   That is one great big beauty Giovanni; so well done! :clap2:  Thanks for sharing her with us here. 😀

Thank you very much Gary! I'm glad you liked her!

B-52s, especially "long tail" ones, from the 50s, are, for me, beautiful, mighty, very elegant machines. They are by far my favourite ones!

I like anyway a lot all the US bombers and transports from the early cold war era. I'd like to build them all, a load of shiny metal stuff!

B-36, B-47, B-50, B-29, B-58, C-54, C-118, KC-135, just to mention some. Heavy metal beauty!

Thank you again Gary!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, giovanni said:

Yes, very true, here in Europe I couldn't find Testors (Only Acrylics are available)  .

On ebay USA, Testors enamel, for example, it's available here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Testors-1781-Aluminum-Color-Enamel-Paint-1-2-oz-Flat-Model-Master/353323216577?epid=2254496430&hash=item5243b46ec1:g:MecAAOSwlvNcnY6N

I don't know if they will ship it where you live. That is the main problem!

I remember I used it about 20 years ago and the pigment was very fine, very good looking. I still have some old jars of Testors aluminium enamel and it's still perfect, like new.

Even "Alclad dull aluminium" is very good I think , I forgot to mention it before but I think that the "shelf life" of this one is not very long. I had to throw away few jars some time ago.

I have a couple of the small jars left. They’re old  but I think savable. The price in the link isn’t bad, maybe a bit up there but the shipping is stupid. What I’ve been doing is emailing the seller and asking for actual shipping amounts, usually a lot more realistic amount. Ebay sets those amounts and people just pay it, don’t know where the money goes. I also like the cold war era bare metal schemes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I have a couple of the small jars left. They’re old  but I think savable. The price in the link isn’t bad, maybe a bit up there but the shipping is stupid. What I’ve been doing is emailing the seller and asking for actual shipping amounts, usually a lot more realistic amount. Ebay sets those amounts and people just pay it, don’t know where the money goes. I also like the cold war era bare metal schemes. 

 

Thank you for the tip about the shipping! I will do the same.

It remains the problem that it's almost impossible to ship Testors enamels or lacquers outside Continental America and I couldn't find them in Europe but for you it should be ok I guess! 

If you have old jars I think they should be fine, try them, if I remember correctly the pigment was very fine and nice.

Glad you also like cold war era bare metal schemes. I also started a B-36 but I don't really know what will happen whit that as my son just came, I'm very happy, I just hope not to have to wait another 25 years for the next model to be complete! 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, James G said:

Great B-52, and thanks for the useful tips in your video

Thank you to you James! I'm happy you appreciated the slideshow!

Few of those simple tips also came from modelling in the 80s and 90s. It was another era. I remember when I run out of putty I use to create my own one mixing paint and talcum powder! It use to work!

Thank you so much again!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/01/2021 at 01:04, TheyJammedKenny! said:

 

Where's Major Kong!??  

Having a purdy good weekend in Vegas, probably.

 

This is a truly lovely model, well done! Definitely deserves a hermetically sealed perspex home.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, giovanni said:

 

Thank you for the tip about the shipping! I will do the same.

It remains the problem that it's almost impossible to ship Testors enamels or lacquers outside Continental America and I couldn't find them in Europe but for you it should be ok I guess! 

If you have old jars I think they should be fine, try them, if I remember correctly the pigment was very fine and nice.

Glad you also like cold war era bare metal schemes. I also started a B-36 but I don't really know what will happen whit that as my son just came, I'm very happy, I just hope not to have to wait another 25 years for the next model to be complete! 😀

There’s hobby shop left in Winnipeg that has testors jars, not for though, it’s closing soon. You find a way to child proof you models. To you they’re models, to a kid, they’re big toys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks just like the ones in my dad’s squadron at Clinton-Sherman AFB, 1963-65.

 

Great work.  If only I had the room to follow your example.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Bangseat said:

Having a purdy good weekend in Vegas, probably.

 

This is a truly lovely model, well done! Definitely deserves a hermetically sealed perspex home.

 

Thank you very much!!

Don't forget that the model appearing in Dr Strangelove was a beautiful B-52 G/H 😆

Yes, with the "perspex box" solution I hope I will be able to pile up, one on each other, some large models, occupying only the space of a corner in a room.

Thank you for your comment Bangseat, I appreciate!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

 You find a way to child proof you models. To you they’re models, to a kid, they’re big toys.

I know! I hope the perspex will save the model from my little godzilla!

I still remember the frustration when I was a kid and clumsy friends etc...wanted to touch my models!!

I hope pespex is enough, at least at the moment!😀

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Looks just like the ones in my dad’s squadron at Clinton-Sherman AFB, 1963-65.

 

Great work.  If only I had the room to follow your example.

 

Thank you Sir!

I really appreciate your comment.

So, your father was a crew on these beautiful monsters?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, giovanni said:

 

Thank you Sir!

I really appreciate your comment.

So, your father was a crew on these beautiful monsters?

No, my dad was an electrician on B-52s.  Did such a good job he was promoted to the SAC Maintenance Standardization Evaluation Team at Offutt AFB (inspecting SAC maintenance worldwide).  Made Chief Master Sergeant in 19.5 years which was pretty good back then.  
 

To him, B-52s were monsters, electrical monsters.  😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...