SAC Monogram B-52.

5 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

No, my dad was an electrician on B-52s.  Did such a good job he was promoted to the SAC Maintenance Standardization Evaluation Team at Offutt AFB (inspecting SAC maintenance worldwide).  Made Chief Master Sergeant in 19.5 years which was pretty good back then.  

To him, B-52s were monsters, electrical monsters.  😁

Very interesting! I'm happy for the career of your father, it sounds quite a lot!! I hope you have many memories from that time!

Yes, I heard of the monstrous complexity especially of the first B-52s. In the movie "Bombers B-52" it looks just like a jewel of technical advancement but I have read in many places that it was very complicated. For me knowing the complexity of these giants, increases their charm even more. For an outside observer, they were kept flying continuously just like small Pipers!!

4 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

A very great and large model, even i want build it i dont have space to display it, so i enjoy yours.

Looks fantastic mate.

Btw, welcome back to the greatest hobby ever.

Thank you so much for your interest!! 

For long I also thought I didn't have the space , till I realized I only need a corner of approx. 80cm by 80cm.

Check also the solution of "hsr", a senior member, I think it's very interesting: 

• Thanks 2

On 3/30/2021 at 1:04 AM, giovanni said:

Very interesting! I'm happy for the career of your father, it sounds quite a lot!! I hope you have many memories from that time!

Yes, I heard of the monstrous complexity especially of the first B-52s. In the movie "Bombers B-52" it looks just like a jewel of technical advancement but I have read in many places that it was very complicated. For me knowing the complexity of these giants, increases their charm even more. For an outside observer, they were kept flying continuously just like small Pipers!!

I have great memories of those times.  Thanks.  From the way my dad explained it, Boeing B-52s had many, many, many systems run by electrical controls as opposed to hydraulics to save weight.  Any given SAC B-52 wing would have a zillion electricians and comparatively few mechanics dedicated to hydraulics.  

• Thanks 1

Hello Giovanni,

A perfectly finished B-52. I make a deep bow for your patience and skills to get this job done.

It was good to see, that the bomber is under "Anti Dust"cover.

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Giovanni,

A perfectly finished B-52. I make a deep bow for your patience and skills to get this job done.

It was good to see, that the bomber is under "Anti Dust"cover.

Regards, Orion.

Thank you so much Orion! 

You are too kind. I was even lucky, almost everything worked more or less the way I was expecting. 

Since when I was very young I was almost "obsessed" with "silver" B-52s so I've been observing a lot of photos, material etc...

I've been also observing many great modellers, here and in general online so I created my own ideas.

The cover, for me, it's a must! Dust, cats, children around, are worse then Soviet ICBMs! 🤣

A big thank you for your interest, I exchange the deep bow to you Orion!

Stay safe!

22 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

I have great memories of those times.  Thanks.  From the way my dad explained it, Boeing B-52s had many, many, many systems run by electrical controls as opposed to hydraulics to save weight.  Any given SAC B-52 wing would have a zillion electricians and comparatively few mechanics dedicated to hydraulics.  

I'm glad you have good memories!

I also remember lots of Boeing 707s and especially 720s, just as a very young child back in the 80s. They were huge to me, shiny, noisy, smoky, smelly of jet fuel.

That's I think why I like so much B-52s, they are a kind of 707x2! 🤣

Very interesting what you are saying on the electrical controls used instead of hydraulics to save weight. Very clever, I never new that!