SAC Monogram B-52.

First off I want to welcome you back to the hobby!  Your first effort on returning is just fantastic!  I have seen a number of natural metal US bombers in museums and the finish looks spot on.  And I like your choice of this scheme as it really shows off the plane a bit better than than the latter camo schemes.  I am looking forward to seeing a B-36 from you and might I also suggest a B-58 hustler to go with the stack.  BTW, you are going to need more room for what I am hoping will be an ever expanding collection.  Thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much everyone! Thank you for the "welcome back" to this fantastic hobby!

I love all aviation but mainly BIG American bombers and transports from the 50s, 40s and 30s. I simply love to see all that metal!

In this time I've been observing a lot around for techniques, materials etc... So I'm quite up to date.

The main problem for me, apart from the glasses I need now, is the time available. Till I was about 16 or 18 was different but now, with family and work...

At the moment due to the global situation, the work has diminished and I had time.

I hope to be able to do B-36 and yes, Harold55, B-58 is another impressive one, I have it in both 1/72 and 1/48, I would love that one too!

Regarding the space I was planning to build a custom made large unit but at the moment, due to the cost and time, I'm hopefully planning to pile up some models in the plexiglass. I also like a lot the shelves idea adopted by hsr! that was very inspiring!

A big thanks to everyone!

Brings back some memories that,......... this is how mine `should' have looked back in the 1980`s as a teenager,...... but it didn`t,..... far from it! You`ve done a lovely job mate,.... excellent,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate.

Tony, it was my big modelling dream too. If I can suggest, just try it! It is not that difficult, really. The shiny metallic areas are large, regular and well defined and this helps a lot. I think this kit is a perfect base where to start "experimenting" with metallic colours. As many said then, even though it's an old kit, I think the finished model is very correct,  the shape is spot on.

I think this livery then, is the most attractive and appropriate. I really love it and I hope that, family and work permitting, I will be able to continue expanding the collection by adding magnificent great pieces from the period! B-47, B-50, B-36, B-58, C-54, C118....... I would also love a B-60 but that's a bit more demanding.

Edited by giovanni

The Monogram B-52 has always been an impressive model and and still stands up in the modern era. I don't think I have ever seen one as well finished as this.

I have the kit in my stash which I want to finish as one of the NASA X-15/Lifting Body carrier aircraft - I have all the bits and decals so this build is a real inspiration and sets a standard to aim for.

Can't wait for the B-36:)

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the nice comments. Thank you Eric, thank you everyone, I didn't expect this.

I remember when I was a kid I use to be very self-critical about my models. I remember often, many models finishing in the spare box.

About this specific model, since I really liked it since ever, I can say that in these 25 years I have been often thinking on how I would have done it. So I have been thinking on how to paint it with modern metallic paints (25 years ago I think I only remember Humbrol 11 and 56). I bought a lot of books, I' ve been observing the nice work of others and I did some experiments with paint. To say the true my wife pushed me to upload it on internet, I don't even use facebook.

Rod, good question; regarding the decals I actually transferred  the kit decals into a mask, DN models did it for me, they do some custom made works:  https://dnmodels.com/.  I didn't want to use the large decals from the kit, they would have altered the metallic finish. I think masks really do help and on youtube I've seen people doing their own masks, I believe they use a machine named "Cricut" but I don't know more on that.

Again a big thanks to anyone. I'm sincerely grateful and I will show your comments to my wife so that she leaves me in peace doing more models!🤣  Family and work are the main constraint! 

Edited by giovanni
  • Like 1

Thank you! As I said, I'm happy you liked it. The young boy still inside me...hidden very deep, was "screaming of joy" when the result started showing, as I said the "chrome dome" B-52s are probably my favourite modelling subject so I spent some time observing photos etc...

The rippled skinning on the vertical fin is very characteristic for me and it is simply done using angled parallel stripes of micro masking tape. It is actually quite easy. Another option would be to have a painting template consisting of parallel slots. This could be an idea for those brands producing photo etched or 3D printed painting templates, becoming always more popular. They could make you reproduce, with paint, the subtle skin appearance of some specific or generic aircrafts.

In general everything it is very simple in the model, I didn't improve the interiors, I concentrated on the exterior with simple solutions.

A big thanks to all!!!

Edited by giovanni
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Again sincerely thank you for your kind comments, I really appreciate and I have great consideration of your thoughts! I am really surprised you liked it!

If anyone is interested, with some pictures I took during the build, I recently managed to create a slideshow showing some steps of the build.

Initially I didn't think about using the photos so the quality is not always at its best, however I tried to show, the best I could, some old modelling tricks from the 80s and 90s that I used.

The slideshow is available on Youtube, here: 

I hope you find it interesting.

Thank you very much!

All the best!

Edited by giovanni
  • Like 4