Early Spitfire Advice

Whistlekiller

Afternoon everyone! Forgive my ignorance on the subject but could anybody point me in the right direction for a 1:72nd scale Spitfire Mk1? I’m after the model with a two bladed propeller and the flat style cockpit hood.

As a result of my 7 year old Grandson Logan and I being bought (amongst other things for Christmas) a later version 1:72nd Airfix Spitfire Mk1a (DW-K with the three bladed propeller) to build together I’ve broken a nigh on 15 year gap in model making and I’m a bit out of touch as to what’s available, although I have been following things on this site on and off for several years now. I’m extremely impressed with the quality and fit of the Airfix kit (a far cry from what a I remember) so ideally I’m hoping for one by the same company, or even perhaps a conversion set. Many thanks in advance and I must warn you, I’ve taken some pictures of Logan’s progress that may well get posted here in due course. 👍😉😉 

Cheers

Rich’

• Like 1

You need this 2011 boxing

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a02010-supermarine-spitfire-mki-mkiia--100251

A02010_31224_Qty1_boxact.jpg

Keep an eye on eBay and the usual second-hand dealers, e.g. KingKit will notify you when they get one in 

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/airfix-aircraft-1-72-02010-supermarine-spitfire-mki-mkiia

Alternatively, if you want something that is decent-fitting and an easy enough build, but is not quite as accurate a scale model, there's the old Hasegawa kit like this one . It lacks the gull-wing section under the rear wing roots for purists but I doubt that will bother your seven year old grandson.  It has the right optional flat canopy and 2-blade prop features.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hasegawa-JS099-Supermarine-Spitfire-Mk-I-1-72-Airfix-Revell-Italeri-Heller/393093810581

If you want to see what the Hase kit looks like, one gets built in this thread: 

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Whistlekiller said:

I’ve taken some pictures of Logan’s progress that may well get posted here in due course.

Incidentally those would be very welcome, but here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/52-work-in-progress-aircraft/

rather than literally here in WW2

Hi Rich,

@Work In Progress has beaten me to it with the reference to the Airfix boxing! If you can't find one of those, the flat canopy is available as a vac-form as part of this Falcon set, the wooden Watts propeller is most likely available as a resin part, and I'm sure the Hurricane equivalent is also correct for the Spitfire, such as this one from PJ Productions.

There are a few similar build threads here on BM, such as these:

Another Spitfire Mk.Ia

Spitfire Mk I early 1/72 Tamiya

If you search from Google along the lines of "britmodeller two-bladed spitfire" you'll find quite a lot of info.

Good luck with the build: I'm quite jealous, as I sent my two sons an Airfix Tomahawk kit each for their birthdays last year, but haven't been able to see how they got on. And as WiP has said, please do post the pics in a Work In Progress thread!

Kind regards,

Mark

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

No, they are different. At least, they were considerably different in the full size, so they ought to be in model form!

Thanks - I stand, or at least sit, corrected! The Hurricane 2-blade prop has a much more pointed spinner, and the base circle diameter is smaller, isn't it?

A further trawl of t'web seems to bring up no aftermarket 2-bladed props for the Spitfire in 1/72 scale. Apologies for any mis-direction! Ah well, bang go my hopes for doing one of these!

Kind regards,

Mark

Thanks for all the pointers everybody. I've left an email address with KingKit in case the Airfix kit comes into stock and may well investigate the Hasegawa version, if only for the relevant parts. 👍

Rich'

• Like 1

Just to add that the Airfix kit shown was also sold/boxed as a Spitfire Va/A02102 from which you can also build the IIa as well, but more importantly it is exactly the same kit apart from the decals, with all the relevant parts for an early Mk1.

I've seen both on E-Bay and they go for between £15-£20 so not cheap but you will end up with lots of spares for future projects.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Well, after a fruitless search of nearly 10 months I finally came up trumps on eBay from a guy in Italy of all places for £13.00. A two bladed, flat capped early bird it is then! It also gives me the option of retaining the parts for the MkIIa to use another time with the currently available Spitfire MkIa kit if the mood takes me. 😎

AM-JKLU6LldwEzlsV8tlePqxnJvY0E19q_hmpgco

Edited by Whistlekiller
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whistlekiller said:

Well, after a fruitless search of nearly 10 months I finally came up trumps on eBay from a guy in Italy of all places for £13.00. A two bladed, flat capped early bird it is then! It also gives me the option of retaining the parts for the MkIIa to use another time with the currently available Spitfire MkIa kit if the mood takes me. 😎

AM-JKLU6LldwEzlsV8tlePqxnJvY0E19q_hmpgco

Well done they are like rocking horse poo...cant even get the old 3 in 1 revell kit

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Well done they are like rocking horse poo...cant even get the old 3 in 1 revell kit

Someone on here will have done one of these as  a Mk.II , and will have the early parts in their spares box,  sorth of thing to ask for in the wanted section,  your just after the 3 blade prop and flat canopy.

Bit of cross checking, according to this

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Airfix/Airfix_Spitfire_MkVa/Airfix_Spitfire_MkVa.html

16610_rd.jpg

this kit has the additional parts for the Mk.II.VA, but also the early parts, as they are on the same tree

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Airfix/Airfix_Spitfire_MkVa/Spitfire_MkVa_08.jpg

16659_1_afx02102_4.jpg

16659_1_afx02102_5.jpg

which is all the plastic for an early Mk.I, and in this case, surplus.     There are decals available, or leftover from the initial boxing...

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Someone on here will have done one of these as  a Mk.II , and will have the early parts in their spares box,  sorth of thing to ask for in the wanted section,  your just after the 3 blade prop and flat canopy.

Bit of cross checking, according to this

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Airfix/Airfix_Spitfire_MkVa/Airfix_Spitfire_MkVa.html

16610_rd.jpg

this kit has the additional parts for the Mk.II.VA, but also the early parts, as they are on the same tree

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Airfix/Airfix_Spitfire_MkVa/Spitfire_MkVa_08.jpg

16659_1_afx02102_4.jpg

16659_1_afx02102_5.jpg

which is all the plastic for an early Mk.I, and in this case, surplus.     There are decals available, or leftover from the initial boxing...

HTH

How useful thanks ....funny my 1/48 Mk1 has about twenty different canopies....dunno why I didnt think of looking 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, junglierating said:

dunno why I didnt think of looking 

They are not mentioned in the instructions?  Interestingly the 1/48 Airfix Spitfire I and Hurricane I kits have the same plastic in all their boxing's,   and seems now the 72nd non starter kits have all the bits too.  

We had a chap here recently with an Airfix Lanc, he wanted one with the H2S blister, the schemes didn't have it,  but it was in the kit...   Always good to know what alternate parts are in what kit that can be used elsewhere    ......  it's 'free' aftermarket!

Cheers

T

• Like 4