B-17G. Airfix or Revell?

TonyOD

That's it really. I have an itch to do a heavy and I can't decide between the one and the other. Both recent tools that review well. Anyone got a recommendation either way? Ta.

Different production blocks so depends on the scheme you want to do, as for the kits not build the revell but looksa  good kit for an early-mid block with non-staggred waist guns/standard rear turret baring an overly thick nose transparency but looks fine on display. Airfix  that I have built is late production block with staggered waist guns and Cheyenne rear turret. Superb kit 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, use the one that is right for the aircraft you want to model. Or if you are not bothered which sub-type of B-17G you want, then the Airfix kit is a bit better overall, though you should also be aware of this strange problem which seems to have affected a few (but as far as we can see only a few) examples of the kit

• Thanks 1

I've not built or even seen the Revell kit, but, possible issue with the tail turret notwithstanding, the Airfix kit is very good indeed. I have found the fit to be generally excellent, though it does pay to dry fit first to get a feel of how things are supposed to go together. Tolerances are on the tight side, so be sure to remove paint from any mating surfaces. The only parts I have encountered so far that have needed any notable adjustment were in the wheel wells, highlighted by the aforementioned dry fitting. The fuselage and interior assemblies fitted beautifully.

Although I haven't hear back from Airfix yet (not surprising, given current events), I have come up with a plan to fair in the undersized tail turret parts that should work with minimal effort. I suspect I'll have to do this, as I can't see any replacement parts turning up in time.

Regarding the Revell kit, I have heard some complaints about the nose area and the upper turret seems to sit too high.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

B-17s are Not My Subject but those who know them and care get very exercised about the flaws of the Revell kit which, IIRC, are heavy panel lines on nose (indisputable), a "bloated" nose area, which in turn affects the geometry of the cockpit canopy, and something with the wings (too thick?).

If it makes a difference to you, NB that the Airfix kit is for a very late B-17G and therefore can only be finished in natural metal.

Both have very impressive amounts of interior detail, most of which will never been seen again once the fuselage halves are joined.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all. At the moment Airfix has the edge. However an advantage Revell has is that you can do a green machine out the box (which I think I'd prefer), whereas with the Airfix one I'd need to get aftermarket decals. 

Edited by TonyOD

37 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

with the Airfix one I'd need to get aftermarket decals. 

I fear you'd need a bit more than that, you'd need to convert it back to an earlier model. As far as I know there weren't any late staggered-gun / Cheyenne turret B-17G painted OD over NG: they were all delivered in natural metal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

@Work In Progress ...but then the same kit (I presume) turns up in this set with an all-green paint job. I think I need to do some research...

Not quite, one wing is silver. As far as I know having researched it only 3 options are avalaible in 1/72 for the airfix kit for non silver, that one, a warbird and he all black leafleting one 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Not quite, one wing is silver. As far as I know having researched it only 3 options are avalaible in 1/72 for the airfix kit for non silver, that one, a warbird and he all black leafleting one 

That's interesting, I hadn't notice the silver wing. It's looking increasingly like Revell. Are going to win out. 

8 hours ago, Seahawk said:

those who know them and care get very exercised about the flaws of the Revell kit

I would stay with the new-tool Airfix kit. I have the Airfix kit and the Revell kit, and I plan to use only the detail parts from the Revell kit, for the reasons given in the linked review. The nose is tapered too much and too narrow; the panel lines are too pronounced- the nose particularly; the wings are  much too thick in cross section, as stated in the linked review. There are conversion articles out there that show how an early production B-17G with the original tail turret and non-staggered waist guns can be made using the Airfix kit. As stated by others, the G's with the Cheyenne tail turret and staggered waist guns were delivered in  natural metal, although some of the bomb groups had very colorful markings. If I go the early G route, I will most likely graft the tail turret from one of my  Hasegawa B-17F kits onto my Airfix G, and cut a new non-staggered waist gun opening and fill the incorrect one. IIRC, there is a build here on BM that shows how to do this- you could look for it.

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=6041

A shame, really, as the Revell kit has great engines, props, cowlings,cockpit, and proper wheel bays- just can't get past those awful wings and nose. The Hasegawa B-17G is very accurate, with an incorrect slope of the windscreen being the only major shape issue, but has raised panels lines, simplified cockpit, and no proper wheel bays- it's a much older kit, to be sure, but also has staggered waist guns and a Cheyenne tail turret, although I have seen builds that crosskitted  a Hasegawa B-17F with the B-17G to get an early production G. An aftermarket vacuformed canopy solved the windscreen shape issue.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @72modeler, I've actually pushed the button on a competitively priced Revell from Kingkit, determined as I am to do a green one (there's a lovely OOB scheme actually). I appreciate the advice but there's a lot I can live with accuracy-wise; my extremely rigorous quality control amounts to 1) does it look reasonably cool on a shelf 2) can it be mistaken for a Spitfire and 3) did I enjoy building it. If the answers are yes, no, yes, that's a result. 😉

I'm gradually upping my game on the modelling front with a lot of help and advice from those friendly folk on BM but I think conversion and cross-kitting of the type you describe remains far beyond my abilities at the moment!

All the same, much appreciated, thanks for taking the time. Maybe I'll add a shiny silver Airfix to the pile sometime in the future.

There were approximately 100 Douglas built B-17G models (don’t have the block number readily available) that were OD/Gray and had the off-set waist windows and Cheyenne tail position. If you have committed to the Revell kit, then never mind 😎 As originally released the Revell kit had markings for “Nine-O-Nine”, the highest surviving 8AF mission total B-17, don’t know if the release you found has those markings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 72modeler said:

The Hasegawa B-17G is very accurate, with an incorrect slope of the windscreen being the only major shape issue,

Mike

Hi Mike!  Don't forget that the glass for the Cheyenne turret on the Hasegawa G is much to small in height.  Compare it to the height of the Cheyenne turret on the Airfix kit and it is quite noticeable.  I plan to do cross kitting of the wings between Hasegawa and Academy to build an early F and early G one of these days.  Saving one of the Fortress IIIs to be done as a PB-1W.

Later,

Dave

15 hours ago, modelldoc said:

I had build a Revell B-17F, but made a conversion into a Fortress III,

unfortunately, a month after finish the project, Airfix offer this version as a kit:

Yeah I've seen the Airfix Fortress III... it looks really nice but if I ever build a British heavy it will be a Lanc or a Shack 😉. Nice job!

15 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

As originally released the Revell kit had markings for “Nine-O-Nine”, the highest surviving 8AF mission total B-17, don’t know if the release you found has those markings.

It is indeed, and that's the one I plan to build OOB. I had a trawl through the aftermarket decals on Hannants and couldn't see a more handsome OD scheme.

12 hours ago, e8n2 said:

Hi Mike!  Don't forget that the glass for the Cheyenne turret on the Hasegawa G is much to small in height.  Compare it to the height of the Cheyenne turret on the Airfix kit and it is quite noticeable.  I plan to do cross kitting of the wings between Hasegawa and Academy to build an early F and early G one of these days.  Saving one of the Fortress IIIs to be done as a PB-1W.

Later,

Dave

Yep- that's right, but I am using my Hasegawa B-17F kits for their  original nose section, tail and top turrets for the Airfix kit to make an early G and most likely an F. Think the new Airfix really missed an opportunity not tooling their new B-17 to do an E, F, and G. With extra sprues for the cowlings, transparencies, and props, and smart engineering of the fuselage or two sets of fuselages, they could have managed it. You could always  fill the vents for the Tokyo tanks, so one set of wings would work for all. To dream...

Mike

Having built and heavily modified the Revell kit and having bought the Airfix kit I would advise you to stay with Airfix and build yourself a nice NMF B-17G. But with aftermarket defensive armament as the Airfix guns are actually more like  in 1:48 scale. 

• Like 1