6 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Nice work coming on well👍
Can I suggest you use a darker shade of green on the commander’s helmet.

Ivan

I have some slightly darker  - I wasn't sure what shade to use.

Erk.

Evening all,   I took the plunge and went outdoors on my patios and did a layer of Nato Green  (from my Tamiya Rattle can)   anyway the turret  was uneventful  - but when I went to do the hull  - (wearing a disposable glove that had been used to put my primer on)   anyway  during the spraying  bits started falling off my glove onto the wet paint   -  so the paintwork  was damaged,    it will need some careful sanding.

Erk.

• Sad 2

Evening all,  I am still  going with my Chally  - I had some issues at first  - mainly handholding the turret/hull  for priming  taht led to the hull dropping to the floor  - no damage though,  then I put the main colour down Tamiya Nato Green by rattle can,   this went on ok  but needed some touch ups - this I did with Tamiya's  acrylic  tubs and brush  -  "Upsss"   different finish  -  Satin out of the rattle can and very matt  out of the tin, so I decided I would brush all over with the matt from the tin,  - yep  "brush marks"   I put it aside to fully harden - then today I got a cloth and buffed the paintwork to smooth out the brush marks  - it managed ok.

Next I fitted and painted the main commanders site  and the inside of the hatch covers  - did a few details also.

The finish will be all brought together when I spray over Tamiya Flat Laquar  rattle can.

Next will be the funtime with the tracks........

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Evening all, today I started on some of the fiddly bits on the turret  - first I made the counter measures table and associated aerials,  then after this was painted underneath and legs - its was glued inplace, it will have the rest of it painted when the glue fully hardens,     next I have started making the 7.62 Goalkeeper RCMG  - this is made up from many parts and includes some quite difficult stages, its about a third finished.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Evening all,     work continues on the Goalkeeper  - fiddly little thing  needing careful handling while working on it not to keep bending the barrel.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Hi all,    I have started having a go at panel line shading  I have the Brown enamel wash by Mig  - afte rgiving it a good shake I simply applied  it using a fine brush, no problem with it flowing, after I did the clean up using some odourless thinners  uisng a pointed cotton bud, only issue I had  was as the paint finish is a semi satin - you can not really see the effects of the wash  - hopefully it will show better after I spray it with my Tamiya flat clear laquar.

Erk.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Looks good, but the shading of the panel lines is almost imperceptible, did you not overdo it when cleaning?

I use a very small brush and very thinned oil paint (but it can also be enamel wash - there is no difference). The paint itself accumulates in the indentations, I don't even cover the model with glossy varnish, I do all this directly on the matte surface. If the paint is liquid enough, even the matte surface has sufficient capillary properties.
If the paint gets where it is not necessary, I immediately wash it off with a brush moistened with solvent, and the excess paint flows into the indentation.

I like this method because I don't need to clean the surface afterward.

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, vytautas said:

Looks good, but the shading of the panel lines is almost imperceptible, did you not overdo it when cleaning?

I use a very small brush and very thinned oil paint (but it can also be enamel wash - there is no difference). The paint itself accumulates in the indentations, I don't even cover the model with glossy varnish, I do all this directly on the matte surface. If the paint is liquid enough, even the matte surface has sufficient capillary properties.
If the paint gets where it is not necessary, I immediately wash it off with a brush moistened with solvent, and the excess paint flows into the indentation.

I like this method because I don't need to clean the surface afterward.

Vytautas

Hi there,  the problem is the paint surface is quite shiny  so it tends to not show up the panel lines very well,  I used the Mig  Enamel Brown wash  - applied it with my fine brush  - it flowed well, I then immediatly used a wet (but not soaking)  cotton bud with enamel thinners to gently wipe near to the panel lines being careful not to rub into the lines.

I guess it could do with another go now its fully dry.

When the turret is dome including some light highlighting/dust  I will then kill the shine with tamiya flat clear laqaur rattle can.

Erk.

• Like 3

Hi all,  slow  progress  (good job I am not in a hurry)      I  have been slowly turning the "factory fresh"  chally  into a  out on the renge version  - by firstly  going over the hull and turret with  a few dust washes  diluted with odourless thinners, then after leaving these to dry for a few hours, I picked out some of the details with a dry brush with white acrylic  - its getting there  the last  flat coat sparyed over  will blend it all together.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Some good progress today  - I have finished the goalkeeper  - its been painted, dark wash, dsut  then highlighted,   then glued down.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

4 hours ago, British Army Platforms said:

Definitely looks allot better with the weathering so far. Fantastic job. Nice to see the interior too! 

Thank you kinley mate,   it will  be A lot better when its all over sprayed with tamiya's  flat laquar  (that stuff goes really flat)

Erk.

• Like 1

Not much of a progress report  as I'm at the boring stage that requires no pictures  -  the wheels  as Twelve of them,  I  made them up then cleaned the seams  - then after finding the right size support handle  (paint brush handle)  I was able to  hold each wheel while I painted on a couple of coats of Vallejo Surface primer (Black)  I did this to each wheel in turn  - drying them with a hairdryer  to speed up drying time.

That was yesterday  - today  I  started work applying the Nato green colour inside the wheels being careful not to get any on the rubbers, I have Six done sofar  - will continue the other Six tomorrow.

Erk.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I don't know if you have one of these lurking about the house but they are really handy for painting the inners of wheels.

spacer.png

They look so useful and I was thinking of getting one. Thought that my first challenger was okay by hand and haven’t bothered now as the next two as you know, have large armour covering most of the wheels anyway 😂

• Like 2

On 17/03/2021 at 23:30, ERK said:

Reactive armour skirts painted - dust wash - pin wash and dry brushed.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks fab. The weathering has really brought it to life. Envious of the consistency of colour too 😂no horrendous masking artefacts! 

Edited by British Army Platforms

3 hours ago, British Army Platforms said:

Looks fab. The weathering has really brought it to life. Envious of the consistency of colour too 😂no horrendous masking artefacts! 

Thanks mate,   I have had the same issues as you with masking other  builds  - mainly planes, it nearly ruined my Mossie build  a year or so back as the dreaded paint creep  occured.

I am so pleased I was able to get the skirts  tidy  (even by hand)  just a case of brushing on a few watery layers then the dry brushing ontop  - I wanted to show some  subtle streaking from the movement of the tank - so I dragged the brush gently from front to back.

Erk.

• Like 1

Evening all   -  Track time,   I love these tracks as they are plastic and Fully movable at each link, they do take some making up though - this is aided by a plastic template that's used to make the links on  - just a case of doing one link at a time and moving along.

I have made roughly the one side but needs checking against the wheels/drive spindle  to see how more need adding.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Erk.

• Like 5