I received this bad boy a few days ago,   last one I built was the Mk1  in Gulf War guise  with the added  PE update set,   It looks like a Superb piece of kit -  I have decided ot build it in sub stages  that will allow me to prime/paint by Rattle cans  in  a better system, also any touch ups will be done with the same colour acrylic  pot and brush.

So withought further a do   staright in with the lower tub/rear plate and fittings  -

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

1 hour ago, OutcastJoel said:

Mind if I pull up a chair?

This is really tempting me to move my RFM Challenger II up the build queue!

More than welcome,   would be great if you build yours at the same time  - great minds and all that.

Erk.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ERK said:

More than welcome,   would be great if you build yours at the same time  - great minds and all that.

Erk.

I have a couple of things I need to get off my table first but if you build slowly I might catch up! 😁

Either way I will enjoy watching your build. 

3 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

I have a couple of things I need to get off my table first but if you build slowly I might catch up! 😁

Either way I will enjoy watching your build. 

Thank you kindly,   not much trouble catching up with me  - I don't build very fast.

Erk.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.pngAbit more progress   - next in the instructions  they call for the  rear light units ot be made, these consist of a base unit and Two transparency pieces  that are fitted to each, then  a cage is dressed and glued over these units, then glued in place.

Erk.

Edited by ERK
  • Like 8

Evening all,   more proress at the bench  -  this time it was origami time with  our little paper folding  passion we call PE,    this was in the shape of Two cages  that after folding/glueing  were glued  in place,   I then made  the Fuel Jerry can cage  and fixed in place.

Erkspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

spacer.png

spacer.pngEvening all, a bit more progress  adding more details to the rear plate  then I moved on to the front fitting the gear boxes  and other details.

Erk.

Edited by ERK
  • Like 3

Evening All,     tub work is continuing  - I have placed the gas trut units  all Twelve of them, fitted the  Track Armour support  arms and added a few other bits.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hi All,     the bottom tub  is complete  and ready for priming, this I will have to do using Tamiya Surface Primer  rattle cans as I do not own a sprayer,   I will be working in this fashion  - building sub-assemblies  then priming/painting, this way I will be able to put one section away to de-gas while I work on the next, till its all painted  - then the different sections can be brought together for touch-ups  and details painting.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Hi All,    some more progress  - I  have moved away from the bottom tub as its ready to be primed  but as I need our British weather to pick up first so I can Rattle can it,  just means I can move on to another stage of the build  - this leads me to the frontal glaciest plate  and the added armour plate that  will be fixed inplace here,   firstly it has some "bits and bobs"  added to it including a bit of "bling".

Erk.spacer.png

• Like 6

A bit more progress  still working on the frontal armour -  next up was the drive light units  - fiddly little  Four piece  things  including a little bit of PE Bling,   at this stage I decided it would be better to attach the lower armour to the top as this was a  One pice unit  in real life (I assume)?  the instructions call for this to be assembled at different stages.

Next off  was a few bits on the top plate including a bit more bling.

Dry fitted frontal armour at this stage.

Really impressed by the quailty of this kit.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ERK
  • Like 9

Hi all,     got more work done on this this evening  -  still on the top  but towards the rear  over the engine,   firstly I added the multitude of hatch hinges  (on other Chally kits these are already moulded on)  - tiny little things that needs a fine wire to lay a small amount of glue - so as not to mark the surface,  then I fitted some of the larger item  - Fuel filler caps, hand rail  and best of all  some Bling  in the shape of grill covers.

As i am attempting to do a part internal  my idea was to use part of the internal set taht comes with the RFM  M1A2  kit, I will have something to work off  altering a few of the parts inside the tank.

But will also have another kit I can build latter with the extra update parts I have brought to go with the M1.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Looks a pretty comprehensive kit, had been tempted by the RFM Chally II, (standard version) rather than the TES but trying to cut down, way to many kits already.

Good progress though, great photoetch work, nice and neat.

Atb

Darryl 

28 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Looks a pretty comprehensive kit, had been tempted by the RFM Chally II, (standard version) rather than the TES but trying to cut down, way to many kits already.

Good progress though, great photoetch work, nice and neat.

Atb

Darryl 

Thank you kindly,   they are fine kits by the look of them  all the mouldings are crisp, and it builds great straight out the box, the added PE in the box  certainly helps, mind you I am making work for myself trying to show some interior  uisng the M1 Abrams  kit.

Erk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

Evening all, more progress with the barrel stowage  lock arm, its a Three piece uinit and inlcudes the actual clasp,   then a few bumpers anf finished off with the Two stowage lockers including some lovely moulded on locks.

Erk.

Edited by ERK
  • Like 4

Evening all,   I have mamnaged a bit more progress with my Chally - I am now at the interesting stage  of trying to convert the RFM  M1  (with Full internal detail)  into my  build here,   this is no easy task as I firstly found out a difference in width in the inside hull between track wheel walls  - the Chally is a few mil  narrower,  the bottom of the turret cage is a circle  from the M1 kit  but yes you guessed it - will not fit down inside the challys hull, no choice but to attack both sides an equal amount  till  the bottom plate slid down.

At the same time I made and fitted the reel cage that goes on the back  - this was part PE  part plastic.

The top is not fixed down yet just dry fitted.

This took me onto the next stage  - in the M1 kit the lower turret part has a  beautiful moulded turret ring with attachments, I needed this transfered over somehow  onto my chally  (not an easy job)   luckily  on the underside there is a ridge that lines up with where I would need to cut, so I used my sharpest  blade  and started scoring through - it took me about an hour  - nearly cutting my fingers in the process  as the blade tended to slip.

Anyway it cut through and seperated quite neatly,  all I needed to do was to cut away a small section under the breech,  then it was glued in place, then the two cut away section could be modified and glued back.

Its not going too bad I think?

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ERK
  • Like 8