Scott's Discovery - Airfix 1/144

Yesterday I was at my parents' home and I finally took some photos of this model which I built for them over 20 years ago now. 

It's one of the few sailing ships I ever finished. Were I to do it today, I'd do lots more with it, but straight out of the box as this was I think it still holds up by today's standards. The only thing I did that was "extra" was made my own ratlines (I forget how) and added bare metal foil to the bow along with some anchor chains.

I can't say I've ever seen this one built and also i have not seen it available in a long time. That's a shame because it's a great kit. 

The front mast seems to be a bit bent out of shape but otherwise I've always been pretty happy with this model. 

IMG_20210120_171857108-2048x1152.jpg

IMG_20210120_171905703-2048x1152.jpg

IMG_20210120_171912810-2048x1152.jpg

IMG_20210120_171927527-2048x1152.jpg

IMG_20210120_171957453-2048x1152.jpg

IMG_20210120_172002686-2048x1152.jpg

• Like 29

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

That's really nice, I didn't even know Airfix made a kit of her. The original survives as a visitor attraction in Dundee :) 

Cheers,

Stew

They sometimes crop up on eBay but not cheap. I am hoping Airfix release it sometime in their classic range although I see from the new catalogue that the Endeavour that was released last year has already gone from the range.

Lovely model and good to see the rigging has survived twenty years!

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 1

thanks! 

Yes - the rigging has done well. I ran each string through a wax crayon before tying it on, and that's prevented the threads going all fuzzy like my previous couple of sailing ships did.

I would love for Heller to re-release some of its ships. Like a total idiot I missed out on the PASSAT in 1:150 for 25 bucks when I was still in the US (on ebay). I was just getting back into ebay then and I thought, oh, that's the going rate, another one will come up soon. Fool! I never saw another one for under a C-note. 

The Discovery was a nice kit. Airfix only repop some of the classic ship kits very rarely these days. 

The original as bad been mentioned is now in Dundee. It was moored by the Thames Embankment for many years then moved to St Catherine's Dock in London along with other historic ships. It went to Dundee when the collection was dispersed.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Noel Smith said:

The Discovery was a nice kit. Airfix only repop some of the classic ship kits very rarely these days. 

The original as bad been mentioned is now in Dundee. It was moored by the Thames Embankment for many years then moved to St Catherine's Dock in London along with other historic ships. It went to Dundee when the collection was dispersed.

I vaguely remember seeing it in London many years back.

The sail steam era is a nice one to model. Besides the Discovery, there was the Great Western kitted by Airfix, and the Great Eastern by Revell. Funny thing is that the two ships built by Brunel that no longer exist have both been kitted, but the Great Britain preserved in Bristol has not in plastic. Other steam sail kits that come to mind are Heller's Purquoi Pas (Why Not), a very similar exploration vessel to the Discovery, and of course Revell's big Alabama and Kearsarge kits. 

4 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

The sail steam era is a nice one to model. Besides the Discovery, there was the Great Western kitted by Airfix, and the Great Eastern by Revell. Funny thing is that the two ships built by Brunel that no longer exist have both been kitted, but the Great Britain preserved in Bristol has not in plastic. Other steam sail kits that come to mind are Heller's Purquoi Pas (Why Not), a very similar exploration vessel to the Discovery, and of course Revell's big Alabama and Kearsarge kits. 

yes I have the small Heller kit of Purquoi Pas, not sure the scale but it must be 1/350 or 1/400 as it's quite small.

I was lucky enough to visit Antarctica around this time last year - just got home before Argentina closed its borders, talk about dodging a bullet - and at one point the Russian guide on our little Zodiac took us into the inlet where the Purquoi Pas had berthed its small boats. There was a carving on the rock of the initials PP and because I had that kit I knew what it stood for. Of course, because it's not primary school any more I didn't wave my hand around and say "ooh pick me pick me" when he asked if anyone knew what the PP was for, hahaha. 

• Haha 1