Revell - Boeing 747-400 British Airways (Landor)

On September 2020, my dad gifted me with a 747-400 kit from Revell. The 744 is my favorite airplane so I got really excited since the first time I've looked into the box. The model itself was quite good and the fitting was reasonable. At the beginning I was attempted to do the "Negus" livery but, after considering I've decided to keep the original Landor livery. The Landor decals though were a bit old so I decided to order some new ones from 26 Decals. 

Since I'm in an advanced stage already, many of the main things to perform are already done. 

The main fuselage is painted and today was time to apply some grey to the wings and elevators. Hope I can work a bit more on it tomorrow and show you some of my future improvements. 

IMG_7718

• Like 6

Today and also because of the Portuguese lockdown I could work a lot on my "City of Westminster". The masking process was a bit time consuming for me because I used 3 colors (light grey, dark grey and in aluminum on the leading edge) for both wings. So mask, paint, let it dry, clean the airbrush took my whole afternoon. Maybe that's why mask is called an art. It takes a lot of patience and effort.

Captura de ecrã 2021-01-21, às 22.06.31

After removing the mask, parts of the ink came with the tape so I had to make small adjustments in the end but nothing to worry about. I also had time to make some progress with the engines. They are 99% done with some small adjustments to be made too. In the end I applied a coat of clean varnish that's why in the picture the grey looks so glossy. If the clean coat gets dry by tomorrow I will start to apply the first decals, and try to make the aircraft a little less weird :) 

Captura de ecrã 2021-01-21, às 22.07.10

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

Great to see you on BM.

I will follow this with interest.Many 747s are being built here recently...👍

Greetings

Alex

Hey again Alex! This is the first model I'm trying to build with some high standards. The other ones were all a bit with low quality :D 

Hope you like it! I will start a topic about the Swissair 747 too 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Diogo Monteiro said:

Hey again Alex! This is the first model I'm trying to build with some high standards. The other ones were all a bit with low quality :D 

Hope you like it! I will start a topic about the Swissair 747 too 

I stay tuned for the Swissair 747...:popcorn:

Your 747-400 looks good already.

Not the easiest kit,I built a few of them,but it can be made to a nice -400.

Dont be too worried about the quality.

We all started our hobby with low quality.With each build,you learn and progress.

The most important things are,that the hobby should make fun and that you are satisfied and happy with your model.

When I built my first model back in 1990...ghee...how the time flies...,it was built in one evening,no paint,glue smeared all over and the decals not always there were they should have.But I had fun with it.With time the models got better,more sophisticated,and the passion held on till today

And here on the forum you find loads of help,ideas and support.

Here 2 of my builds of the -400

The photos of those threads were then uploaded with photobucket,where I am not active anymore,hence the "watersign"

4 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

I stay tuned for the Swissair 747...:popcorn:

Your 747-400 looks good already.

Not the easiest kit,I built a few of them,but it can be made to a nice -400.

Dont be too worried about the quality.

We all started our hobby with low quality.With each build,you learn and progress.

The most important things are,that the hobby should make fun and that you are satisfied and happy with your model.

When I built my first model back in 1990...ghee...how the time flies...,it was built in one evening,no paint,glue smeared all over and the decals not always there were they should have.But I had fun with it.With time the models got better,more sophisticated,and the passion held on till today

And here on the forum you find loads of help,ideas and support.

Here 2 of my builds of the -400

The photos of those threads were then uploaded with photobucket,where I am not active anymore,hence the "watersign"

My first first model was a Swissair A321 HB-IOF. Gosh that poor airplane looks bad! But it funny to see how we develop more skills we find new techniques and equipment to work with in order to improve our work. We as always learning and that's good! 

I will take a look on your 747's for sure Alex! Thanks for sharing! 

4 hours ago, neilg said:

It's looking great already!  What colour did you use for the upper fuselage?

Thanks a lot! I use Vallejo colors, in that case I've mixed Vallejo Grey (71 046) with Vallejo White (71 001) by eye 

• Like 1

Another day a bit more of progress for my Landor. I've used for the first time decals by 26Decals and I must say I'm impressed by their quality. Some windows although didn't fit quite well with the windows of the airframe which I've filled with putty before, that was a minor error and you just can spot it if you are too close from the model. 

I've only had time to work on the left side and I hope by Monday I can work on the right side too. So far so good. I'm enjoying very much every process of evolution of this kit

Captura de ecrã 2021-01-22, às 21.15.44

Captura de ecrã 2021-01-22, às 21.16.16

• Like 7

Thats coming along very nice 👍

Some little advice.Mostly,the decals dont conform with the windows on the models.

So its best,if you are using window decals,to close the model windows with putty and sand it flush.

If there are no clear parts for the windows,I usually glue plasticstripes inside of the fuselage to give the putty some backing.

Another way,if the windows can still be seen underneath the paint,if you like to have them as a decal guide,is to divide the window decal stripes in small sections.

This way its easier to place the decals on the models windows.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 22:33, Alex1978 said:

Thats coming along very nice 👍

Some little advice.Mostly,the decals dont conform with the windows on the models.

So its best,if you are using window decals,to close the model windows with putty and sand it flush.

If there are no clear parts for the windows,I usually glue plasticstripes inside of the fuselage to give the putty some backing.

Another way,if the windows can still be seen underneath the paint,if you like to have them as a decal guide,is to divide the window decal stripes in small sections.

This way its easier to place the decals on the models windows.

Thanks for the tips Alex! 

Yeah I did that on both British Airways and Swissair, I've sanded the windows with putty to have a smooth surface to apply them later on. I didn't reinforced though, the internal structure like you said, also because both kits didn't brought the windows. But I will keep that in mind for my next kit! 

Well about cutting the decals into smaller ones that is also a good idea! I will do that and lets see what happens :D 

On 25/01/2021 at 18:50, neilg said:

That's looking beautiful already!

The Landor livery is so smart in my opinion.

Thanks a lot! 

Yeah, I agree with you, Landor really managed, in my perspective, to represent the ideals of British Airways and the United Kingdom in one: It is a painting without many adornments, but at the same time it manages to represent the most conservative and classic patterns in the United Kingdom. It is my favorite Britsh Airways painting without a doubt

On 25/01/2021 at 21:18, BluesModeller said:

This is looking pretty gorgeous!

Really appreciated it!! 

So far im really about to finish it. Just some small decals before glue all the landing gear and engines! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...