HMS Danae, JSC paper kit, 1/400 scale

cardist

Hello all, my first build-share here. I am a big fan of the ships from Polish company, JSC. Notwithstanding the fact that they have to compromise when it comes to colours used, they are basically accurate and if you have the right skills and software, they can be changed, adapted, converted, recoloured, etc. I have ordered all of my kits from the company in Poland, usually in batches of three with relevant accessories. Including postage, these never come to more than £30. Even with accessories, paper kits lack a lot of details, so if you go down this road then a lot of scratch-building is involved.

This is my method.

I start with extra supports from 1mm card.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

OK, you get the picture. stuff is cut from card, folded and glued together. It really doesn't get more complicated than this.

• Like 7

These kits look quite nice and there are some fantastic builds from them. As regards compromising on colour, I don't really buy that tbh - I think it's more a case of them choosing to listen to people with more enthusiasm than credentials in the subject. There appears to be a cluster of creators of material in Eastern Europe all copying each others' homework and perpetuating certain myths. As far as printing goes, I personally believe it's more a case of Rubbish In -> Rubbish Out. This seems a pity because it would cost no more to get it more or less right :(

If you could recolour that darker panel on the hull blue-grey you'd get something much closer to reality overall.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

These kits look quite nice and there are some fantastic builds from them. As regards compromising on colour, I don't really buy that tbh - I think it's more a case of them choosing to listen to people with more enthusiasm than credentials in the subject. There appears to be a cluster of creators of material in Eastern Europe all copying each others' homework and perpetuating certain myths. As far as printing goes, I personally believe it's more a case of Rubbish In -> Rubbish Out. This seems a pity because it would cost no more to get it more or less right :(

If you could recolour that darker panel on the hull blue-grey you'd get something much closer to reality overall.

Many thanks for this Jamie. All of the earlier kits from JSC, with regards to RN ships, have rather garish and inaccurate shades. Even the most recent ones such as Exeter and Ajax have the wrong shade of grey. Hence my forays into recolouring and eventually to designing my own ships. My first point of reference for project colours is your very comprehensive guide on your Sovereign Hobbies website. 

The panel will be no problem to recolour and past over the top.

Some more cutting and gluing.

spacer.png

The fo'cs'le is almost devoid of detail, more on this later.

Main structural components joined.

spacer.png

More parts and a start to the missing detail up front.

spacer.png

More details added. Anchor chains are from JSC.

spacer.png

• Like 10

I look forward to seeing this come together.  My wife's grandfather served in DANAE in the 1930s.  It's interesting, looking at your other card models, to see what can be achieved in this medium with a bit of extra work and imagination.

• Thanks 1

Thank you shipmates. I have been making paper models for over 10 years now, the challenges are on a completely different level to other media. 

So, on with some more progress. The bridge is totally devoid of detail, so references are a must here. The parts are based on drawings found on the interweb and conjecture for what can be found on the bridge. The rangefinders are from paper tubes and fuse wire.

spacer.png

Masting is turned brass rod and plastic rod, everything else from the kit.

spacer.png

I have scratch-built all of the ships weapons, with the exception of the main gun-shields. This is due to the over-simplified versions included in the kit. Main guns are tubes made from cigarette paper, with details from wire and card.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Gun mounting in 'B' position. Extra details for support webs etc.

spacer.png

'X' and 'P' positions. The 4" Dual purpose mount has been redesigned and scratch-built.

spacer.png

• Like 8

Hi Arnold, thank you, and yes they are scratch-built. I design all the parts using a vector drawing package, print, cut out, score, fold and then glue. Extra bits are from wire and slivers of card. These are some of the parts made so far.

spacer.png

I am not happy with the size and colour of the lines used though. I shall tone these down on further builds.

spacer.png

These are the parts for the quad pom-poms, so that you can see the process.

spacer.png

The same process is used for the twin Oerlikon mounts. The barrels are from the support sprues for Blackcat accessories for the pom-pom and fuse wire for the Oerlikon.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hello all, some small progress today. These are the Carley Float sponsons.

Strips of card are cut with a single-edged razor blade and glued with PVA........

spacer.png

spacer.png

......and then fixed in place.

spacer.png

• Like 3