Revell Challenger 1 with additional 3D printed Gulf War armour

this is the rough layout, the tent will be pulled off to the left of the tank and I will try to make it as interesting as I can for a flat square of sand...

50856889313_de8bbed0b2_k.jpg20210114_220808_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

The skirt armour is surprisingly hard to find nice photos of flat on to work out dimensions but I found enough to knock up something reasonable.

50856889338_2eb1f79d0b_b.jpgreceived_523901838580499 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

The dimensions might be well off but they look ok on the kit.

50857588911_937665e37c_k.jpgIMG-20210115-WA0001 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I have since found that my surface detail on the front and rear panels are well off so if I can be bothered I will make some new ones.

The bow? armour was easier to find good photos of and I am really happy with the result.

50857589081_8118771914_b.jpgIMG-20210117-WA0013 (2021-01-20T21_57_54.666) by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2021 at 08:44, Old pro said:

Should have just bought the challenger with the armour in the kit, would have saved you some work 😁

That did cross my mind!

I decided I can't justify adding more stuff to my stash though (and this way is more fun)!

Now the weather in the UK has warmed up I got some colour on the beast.

50947177688_ed450abd81_k.jpg20210215_215711_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 4

Thank you!  

I have started to do the detail painting of tools etc. I have tried a bit of googling but couldn't find out if the spade balde would be painted or bare stainless steel. I like the idea of having a green painted low alloy steel spade where the end of the blade has had the paint worn away and has started to rust so will have a crack at that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to flick one of the headlamps off with a clamp and lost it to the carpet monster.

The headlamps guards were quite chunky out of the kit so I wasn't too bothered and drew up some new ones. whilst looking at reference photos I realised I had missed a bit of additional armour above the driver.

51004115841_f07bc17f42_b.jpgreceived_307513937462821 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I blended them in and also manged to do a little exhaust staining.

51004230237_bfc047fe33_b.jpgreceived_861071584749562 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 5

Really nice work,its going to be a nice looking dio One point, you said you were going to have the tent on the left. You notice in the photo it is on the right. Thats not done by chance, its with good reason. Tents are always placed on the right side so any passing vehicles know to go to the left. Not good for moral haveing the crew squashed in their sleep.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bish said:

Really nice work,its going to be a nice looking dio One point, you said you were going to have the tent on the left. You notice in the photo it is on the right. Thats not done by chance, its with good reason. Tents are always placed on the right side so any passing vehicles know to go to the left. Not good for moral haveing the crew squashed in their sleep.

Bish, you are almost correct about the bivvy, however it is dependant on what formation the vehicles are, for example a box leaguer (so named as its a box shape) would have bivvies on either side of the vehicles depending on where it is in the leaguer, on the right or left, as long as they are inside the box formation.

This would also be true in a troop hide.  personally from experience and the tactical situation I always chose the side with the flattest ground!!!

• Like 1

Thats the first time i have heard that. We were only ever taught to have the tents on the right and always pass other vehicles on the left. I get why you would do other wise in a box leagure, but we certainly never formed that type of formation (assuming by box formation you mean what i think.}. On our Warriors, we even had our tents tied to the right sisde of the vehicle from the moment we loaded up our wagons.

Edited by Bish
  • Like 1

On 05/03/2021 at 20:33, Bish said:

I started rethinking the dio before realising I did actually mean the tent would be on the right of the tank but keep referring to it as being on the left because it is on the left hand side of the photo... Doh!

@Bish & @Widow 65 thank you for that guys, really interesting bits of info I had never even thought of.

Tent poles are now in the ground on the right of the vehicle 🤪

51010406566_c1415c7eab_k.jpg20210306_222953_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Bish said:

Thats the first time i have heard that. We were only ever taught to have the tents on the right and always pass other vehicles on the left. I get why you would do other wise in a box leagure, but we certainly never formed that type of formation (assuming by box formation you mean what i think.}. On our Warriors, we even had our tents tied to the right sisde of the vehicle from the moment we loaded up our wagons.

Infanteers....different breed mate 😉