Raspberry Dakota

Hi All

While waiting on my Big H order for my Arado, my idle hands alighted upon this other large box

DSCF0283.jpg

I'd been entertaining the prospect of doing it as a recipient of NMF, but been putting it off as it's a sizeable beast. However, as I'd bought it cut price as a refuge from completeness, the seller had included a partial sheet of Xtradecal

DSCF0284.jpg

So hey, a red white and blue ZA947 it shall be!

All the main sprues seem to be populated, come with me and let's see what's missing...

The interior has slotted together like a bought one, though precious little of it will be seen once the sides join

DSCF0285.jpg

I'm planning on all doors closed, the smooth lines showing off the well meaning but slightly incompetent paint scheme.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 16

Watching with interest.

During its time with the RAE at Farnbourgh the aircraft had Six double airline style seats installed on the Left hand side of the cabin.

Just aft of the wing centre section was a Decca "teardrop" and a observation window as can be seen in the attached pictures.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Hi Head in the Clouds,

Unfortunately I don't know of any other specific close up or detailed pictures of KG661/ZA947 in RAE service. The Aircraft Illustrated edition of August 1979 carried a four page feature on a trip to Berlin Templehof for the 30Th anniversary of the Berlin airlift in the RAE Dakota. The magazine has several pictures of the aircraft including a flight deck picture. At that time it was still in the White and Grey Transport Command style livery.

The Extra Decal sheet for ZA947 details some of the additional aerials and mods on the airframe.

I think some of the second-hand kit dealers and traders on a well known internet web site are offering Airfix Dakotas at reasonable prices.

I'm really looking forward to the Prof's build given the quality of his previous work as shown on Britmodeller.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jyguy said:

I'm really looking forward to the Prof's build given the quality of his previous work as shown on Britmodeller.

Cheers. I will see if I can get my grubby mitts on that particular issue.

I have not seen any of the Prof's builds before so I look forward to it, especially after your recommendation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Interesting pictures jyguy. Do you know of any other interesting pics of this Dak while at RAE?

I will keep an eye on this build ProfSparks, one scheme I want to build but need a Dakota kit first.

Try finding an Italeri Dakota that's the best kit to start with, accurate and low parts count

• Like 2

Hi All

On 1/20/2021 at 10:11 PM, Ruskin Air Services said:

Its a nice kit, shame all that detail gets hidden.

Hi Ruskin Air Services, yes it is a nice kit (so far), although hiding some of that 'detail' isn't that much of a shame

DSCF0288.jpg

Aren't the pedals meant to be going in the same direction?

Also, there are plenty of detailed ejector pin marks generally overall, but an attempt at detail on the rearward section

DSCF0286.jpg

Though not so much on the forward end

DSCF0287.jpg

The doors are an acceptable fit

DSCF0289.jpg

DSCF0290.jpg

And if I was to be doing them opened up I'd be inclined to use these ones as opposed to the supplied "opened up state" ones

I was going to leave the seats out as the doors would be closed, but I realised that they provided the location for the floor

DSCF0291.jpg

DSCF0294.jpg

And also the filler for the escape window interior

DSCF0292.jpg

While on the subject of windows, there is one on the Stbd side just behind the entrance door that is marked but filled in

DSCF0293.jpg

It's a prominent feature on pics of the real thing, so I opened it up

DSCF0295.jpg

Other prominent features are

On 1/21/2021 at 5:06 PM, jyguy said:

Just aft of the wing centre section was a Decca "teardrop" and a observation window as can be seen in the attached pictures.

On 1/21/2021 at 7:26 PM, jyguy said:

The Extra Decal sheet for ZA947 details some of the additional aerials and mods on the airframe.

Hi jyguy, great pictures thanks, I'll be investigating these further. Any info on the non-circular cowling on the upper right photo you posted?

The interior was given a coat of Vallejo VA71.126 IDF/IAF Green, then a dirty wash of Pledge-&-Dregs. The driver and conductor seats were done in Vallejo 72.029 Verde Asquereoso Green as I figured they'd like something a bit more cheery than their bleak office walls, then the whole lot has been exposed to W&N Matt for the duration.

DSCF0296.jpg

The IP decal is too big and etc etc and most likely won't be seen  blah blah blah

On 1/21/2021 at 9:51 PM, Ruskin Air Services said:

Try finding an Italeri Dakota that's the best kit to start with, accurate and low parts count

Thanks, now you tell me :chair:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 9

This is looking great, and I'd recommend filling the yawning gaps around in the cargo door as it meets the surrounding "skin."  Perhaps a bit of stretched sprue just to make it a fit a little tighter?  I had to add some plastic to mine, otherwise it did not look right.

• Like 1

Hi Prof Sparks,

The two right hand photographs in the picture I posted show the cowling detail on a Wright powered early Commercial DC 3. You may wish to scribe the escape hatch over the flight deck and the aileron trim tab (RHS) on your model which Airfix missed.

Coming back to cowlings they are the really the only downside of Italian C 47 kit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

On 1/23/2021 at 8:07 AM, jyguy said:

You may wish to scribe the escape hatch over the flight deck and the aileron trim tab (RHS) on your model which Airfix missed.

Thanks jyguy, I'll look into those details 👍

Thso, the internals fitted internally

DSCF0321.jpg

DSCF0322.jpg

DSCF0323.jpg

And is a blank canvas for a decent detailing adventure should you wish.

After some scraping, filing, and generally dry fitting the sides together, she was glued and lightly clamped overnight

DSCF0324.jpg

Imagine my choice of short words at the result

DSCF0331.jpg

:rant:

This would seem to be the perfect opportunity to test my Sprue Goo mixture.

DSCF0339.jpg

Now then, this looks worse than it turned out to be, as some more filing and sanding cleared things up considerably

DSCF0341.jpg

So, what have we learned here?

Well, firstly, check on clamped models occasionally to prevent them setting in the wrong place

Secondly, thin down the Sprue Goo so it doesn't just blob on the surface

Thirdly, don't put too much Goo on as you'll only have to file and sand it all off again

And fourthly, give the Goo time to set fully so that it doesn't just bobble off.

I may be some time.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 10

3 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

Well, firstly, check on clamped models occasionally to prevent them setting in the wrong place

...or, especially with larger planes, do it in sections. It gives you more opportunities to check & correct if necessary.

• Like 1

Hi All

Working my way round the seam I attached the tailpiece. To say that it was nearly a close fit would be wide of the mark somewhat

DSCF0351.jpg

However, the tailwheel mounting just clicked right in without any drama

DSCF0352.jpg

I hope it's in the right way round as I couldn't click it out again, so have glued it in.

I then spent some time looking for clearer images of the gubbins under the nose, the windows, aerials, pipes and whatnot, but didn't come across anything better than jyguy views.

However, I did notice that although Airfix would have you stick that naff tail piece on, ZA947 doesn't have it

DSCF0354.jpg

And there again, neither do either of the schemes that Airfix supply OOB

DSCF0355.jpg

As far as I could find, it's just a flat plate? Anyone have anything to add to it?

So off it came and I'll fill the small end seam.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

Hello Steve,

Regarding the tail fairing some had it and as you've found 947 did not. The area is just a blank plate with the tail Nav light. On wartime aircraft it was where the glider towing hook was.

50902699736_ffca63782c_c_d.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, I could not agree more.  The Haynes manual is invaluable reference to modelling the C 47, especially in this case as the aircraft featured for the airframe and engine photographs is ZA947 though she has lost a lot of the RAE mods since being on strength with the BBMF. 

G

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Meandering onwards, there is a spar that spans the main wing centre section, and includes landing lights and wheel well rear bulkheads, and ejection pin marks

DSCF0361.jpg

This is glued to the lower wing centre section, and allowed to set while I ponder the underside additions

DSCF0362.jpg

However, although the rears of the wheel wells are inclined, the spar and bulkhead pieces must be perpendicular to meet the upper section.

So they were levered off slightly again.

DSCF0363.jpg

I'm sure they'll be fine

Anyhoo, I scribed in the drivers sunroof

DSCF0364.jpg

While on the roof, apart from the slight changes in aerials etc, the astrodome seems to be just blanked off. I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Anyhoo, the parts so far got a blast of Army Painter Plate Mail Metal WP1130 (for a change)

DSCF0365.jpg

And a dirty wash.

Airfix would have you attach the constructed wings to the body, mount the engines, then clasp the cowling halves round them. That sounds like tricky seam eradication and painting, so I might wheedle things out of order slightly. Be prepared to point out I should have followed the instructions when it all goes Pete Tong.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 10

It gets a little complicated with the engines, so I'll relate what I did.  Don't do what I did.  I assembled the engines separately, painted them, and set them aside.  Then I assembled, sanded, and filled the cowlings.  After painting the entire aircraft, I joined the engine assemblies as "power eggs," but it was tricky to align the engines with the firewalls, because I had to "free float" the engines inside the cowlings.  

What I'd recommend that you do instead is assemble/paint the engines and cowlings and join them to the aircraft before painting the rest of the model.  Start by cementing the engines to the firewall to get their alignments right.  Then add the cowl assemblies.  Use wet paper towel to protect the inside of the engine cowlings against slurry, and sand/fill the cowling seams.

• Like 4

Coming along nicely prof. The astrodome bubble was removed on 947 and the base ring had a flat circular plate over it. Here is what I did on my build, I am sure yours will be more tidy. Wise words as ever from they jammed Kenny, It is One of the disadvantages of the way the Airfix kit is designed that you you have to get the cowlings and engines on at an early stage. It also makes using aftermarket engines rather tricky which is a shame as from a personal view the rather basic kit engines and heavily weighted wheels let he kit down.

50938125172_97200448a1_o_d.jpg

Edited by jyguy
Addition of image.
  • Like 3