P-38G Miss Virginia, RS models, 1/72

Hello everyone,

I'd like to share another one of my builds, early P-38

Added PE set for cockpit even with closed canopy, cockpit from the kit does not look very good.

Tried to do some panel color variations but it turned out too subtle to see it on the photos :( 

About the kit it self, its bad. The fit is horrible, had to repair multiple panel lines, lots of flash everywere. 

I know its a short run but still.

Decals were good

So here it is:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

One from the build, its the best fit I was able to get. Pretty much all joints had steps or holes to some degree

spacer.png

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Well done there! You got a wonderful result out of this RS kit, even with its typical fit issues.
At least many of the crucial details are better than on the alternative; the old rivet-festooned Airfix kit..

Hear this mainstream kit makers? Please release a good 1/72 early P-38..

Superb build in any sense, but knowing what i do about these RS P-38 kits...wow!  Yes, a terrible kit.  I have two in the stash that most likely will never be built.

Yours is excellent and inspires me to maybe try.

A perfect result! I also like the very decent weathering you applied. These RS kits are really difficult to build. However, they are currently the only manufacturer that covers more variants of P-38s and P-39s in 1/72 scale. 

Looks fantastic George,.... I do like the early P-38`s and had been considering stumping up for this quite expensive kit,..... glad I didn`t now, so thanks for telling us `how it is',.... warts and all. You certainly seem to have tamed the beast at least!

Cheers

Tony

Man does that look good.

I'm awarding you an extra grog ration, George.  You've earned it.

Thanks for the in-progress shot, have you written up a build log?  It would be helpful to many modelers who have no choice but to engage with this beast until such time as Tamiya pantograph their Lightning down to the proper scale.

Thank you again, I appreciate it

17 hours ago, tonyot said:

this quite expensive kit,

very true, I am glad i got this on sale 😀 

12 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Thanks for the in-progress shot, have you written up a build log?  It would be helpful to many modelers who have no choice but to engage with this beast until such time as Tamiya pantograph their Lightning down to the proper scale.

Sadly no and this is the only photo I have from build stage.

Apart from main fuselage fit issues, there was major interference with front wheel well and cockpit tub, so a lot of sanding on both sides

Its quite a while since I finished it but there are some links I found:

Here's how bad the cockpit/wheel well fit is:

This thread sums up all the issues i had on the kit, take a look:

George

• Like 1