Porsche 911 Turbo (1:24, Tamiya)

Geo

Hi all,

New to the forum so thought I would show off a Christmas present I painted for my Dad in 2020. It's Tamiya's 1:24 Porsche 911 Turbo '88 or 930 if you want to go by exact numbers. It's his favourite car in his favourite colour so I wanted to make this a decent attempt. This was my first scale car so there were a lot of new things to learn in a relatively short space of time as I started this at the end of November and finished it on the 20th of December. Hard to complete working a full time job and trying to get home! I had no idea the amount of time it would take and how much back and forth there was in getting a smooth coat of gloss varnish and paint. The kit was easy to put together out of the box and was fairly low detail. If I was doing this again, I'd go for some aftermarket bits if there are any for this kit.

C&C is appreciated, I am aware the black trim isn't spot on and I had the unfortunate occurrence of the "glass" misting when varnishing. Live and learn!

1089905_sm-Cars%2C%20Modern%2C%20Porsche

1089906_sm-Cars%2C%20Modern%2C%20Porsche

1089907_sm-Cars%2C%20Modern%2C%20Porsche

1089908_sm-Cars%2C%20Modern%2C%20Porsche

1089910_sm-Cars%2C%20Modern%2C%20Porsche

Cheers!

-Geo

• Like 15

That's a very good build, even more so in that timescale and again with it being your first car.

One bit that puzzles me is you saying that you fogged up the window varnishing - usually I think most people here would get the body sprayed and cleared before adding the glass so if you didn't do it that way round it might be something to bear in mind for the model.

9 minutes ago, Spiny said:

One bit that puzzles me is you saying that you fogged up the window varnishing - usually I think most people here would get the body sprayed and cleared before adding the glass so if you didn't do it that way round it might be something to bear in mind for the model.

I missed reading that, and didn't notice any misting in the pics tbh, but yes that's the way I build them too.

Keith

On 20/01/2021 at 21:15, Spiny said:

That's a very good build, even more so in that timescale and again with it being your first car.

So it's only minor misting and I had done the majority of the clear coating before installing the glass on the piece, but I'd missed a bit and thought there wouldn't be an issue going over it. Sounds like a funny thing to do but in the moment it was what I'd decided, for better or for worse.

Thank you all for the kind comments. I think it'll be a while before I do another scale car as the process is a good bit different to the aircraft or tanks I do.