Tamiya 1/35 M26 Pershing

Andy J

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Quick question Andy, how long did you leave between the ptimer and OD coats? And what make paint is the OD? (Ok, that's two questions, but they were quick!)

Β 

K

Hi Keith from bare plastic to what you see above took approx 45 minutes. The mr surfacer primer dries almost instantly so I leave it no more than 15 minutes before applying the OD dark base. Then I immediately apply the OD base and then the OD light base . Although the OD is not completely dry between coats I find it works better as the different shades actually blend together better being slightly wet. Probably wouldn't suit everyone but it works for me and leaves a nice smooth finish every time. The OD paint is Mig Ammo thinned with 2 drops of Vallejo flow improver per 10 drops of paint πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Nice smooth finish on the paint work Andy, looking really good so far...

Β 

Ed

Thanks Ed more progress today hopefully πŸ™‚πŸ‘

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Wow! Four days from start to paint. No wonder I couldn't keep up. Nice smooth finish you've achieved there Andy, with that top coat. I'm off to have a Full English now, so I expect that this will be finished by the time that I get back.

Β 

John.

Actually 2 days John as work interfered slightly but I'm off for a while now so I can plough on. Hmm full english now that's a jolly fine idea πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Nice work Andy, done well slopping that paint around!

Β 

You do subtle weathering too?πŸ˜‰

Β 

Atb

Thanks Darryl I'm glad your ok mate πŸ‘. As for subtle weathering...well...having done my usual amount of research before starting the build...approx 5 minutes πŸ™„....I've realised that US armour didn't seem to chip and rust as much as German armour so theirfore i need to reign it in a tad which is a new approach for me but I'll give it a go and see what happens πŸ˜‰ πŸ‘

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

WOT! Croissants?? Ye Gods. Where's the fun in that?

Due to rule changes with the UK leaving the EU I'm afraid Full English breakfasts are now not allowed to be served outside of England!....sorry bud, but them's the rules.Β :giggle:

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Due to rule changes with the UK leaving the EU I'm afraid Full English breakfasts are now not allowed to be served outside of England!....sorry bud, but them's the rules.Β :giggle:

Just like the Yanks did with prohibition, us Brits will find a way around it. Now, pass me another bacon butty.

Β 

John.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

The mr surfacer primer dries almost instantly so I leave it no more than 15 minutes before applying the OD dark base.

Β 

Cheers Andy - I don't think I've managed to get out of the mindset of the days of using enamels, I'm still leaving Mr surfacer dry overnight!Β 

Β 

K

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

.....and now I'm stuffed!!

Β 

2 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Now, pass me another bacon butty.

Β 

Make your mind up, I hope you are paying import tax on that butty?Β Β :wicked:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

Β 

Cheers Andy - I don't think I've managed to get out of the mindset of the days of using enamels, I'm still leaving Mr surfacer dry overnight!Β 

Β 

K

If I needed to sand the mr surfacer I would leave it overnight but otherwise I just plough on mate πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 2

So today's update and I've fitted the wheels and tracks and assembled the main kit parts. I've added some colour variation to the OD but I haven't weathered the tracks and wheels yet though only a light dust effect is required imo. I will be hand painting the two star's either side of the turret as most of the star is covered up by various parts anyway πŸ™‚. Here's a few pic's of today's progressΒ 

Β 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Β 

So I'm happy with the results so far and will crack on tomorrow. Thanks for looking back soon πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 11

Doing a fine job Andy, sure the Pershing is the basis for every generic tank drawing!

Β 

I always keep a hair dryer to hand for a quick dry between coats if necessary, not sure if the ionic aspect of it helps or not....the Mrs does get cross when I fiddle with the settings mind, that the OD finger printΒ too!

Β 

Press on young chap!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Doing a fine job Andy, sure the Pershing is the basis for every generic tank drawing!

Β 

I always keep a hair dryer to hand for a quick dry between coats if necessary, not sure if the ionic aspect of it helps or not....the Mrs does get cross when I fiddle with the settings mind, that the OD finger printΒ too!

Β 

Press on young chap!

Thanks Darryl I think this is a very cool looking tank and one I hadn't really noticed before I started the build. Press on i shall tomorrow not that much left to do now πŸ™ƒ πŸ‘

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Β 

Β 

Press on young chap!

I borrowed the hair dryer so many times that she gave up and bought herself a new one.Β 

Β 

By the way, I think I know which book you recommended Andy, I read that one, then bought the Pershing to build. Very good read.Β 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Very nice Andy, it’s looking greatΒ πŸ‘

Β 

Ed

Thanks Ed I'm happy with progress so far πŸ™‚πŸ‘

27 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Β 

Great work with this one, looking forward to more on this!

Β 

Β  Stay safeΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Roger

Thanks Roger more progress today hopefully πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Looking good, Andy !! I have the same kit in the stash....

Β 

I need to pull my finger out and get working on things, but I'm just not finding the tine or motivation, at the moment.Β 

Thanks Lee it's a decent kit tbh and the fit is excellent. I think it shows that a kit doesn't have to be super detailed to be enjoyable πŸ™‚. Your time will come mate I'm sure the main thing atm is to stay safe Lee plenty of time for modelling in the future πŸ‘Β 

• Like 1

@LongbowΒ looks like putting the dog team together just to reach the garage πŸ™‚πŸ‘

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

I've been practicing my snow effects....not bad eh πŸ˜‰ 😏 πŸ‘

• Like 2
  • Haha 2