'C' class (AA conversion) splinter shields

Modelholic

Does anybody have diagrams or drawings of how the splinter shields were installed around the 4" mounts on these ships?

All I can discern from internet searches is that they're not mounted along the deck edges, (except maybe the midships mount) and the breakwater was removed.

I also imagine the ready use lockers were repositioned as well.

TIA

Tom

The answer to your question depends upon the specific ship concerned, and the date selected - as ever, reference to photographs (or possibly drawings, depending on how much research went into the latter) is recommended.

For example, Coventry and Curlew completed with no splinter shields, later Coventry's midships guns had splinter shields at the deck edge of their gundecks, but her foc's'le and quarterdeck guns had splinter shields inboard of the respective deckedge, supported by triangular braces outboard of the shields (on the fo'c'sle, the breakwater was retained) and the gun on the former "X" gundeck likewise had the shields set inboard of the deckedge - I believe that Curlew was sunk before shields could be fitted.

On the other hand, photos of Colombo in 1943 show no splinter shields at the deckedge or inboard, around the main armament.

Edited by Our Ned
  • Like 1

The clearest pictures I've seen so far were of HMS Carlisle (inboard of edges) and one of Curacoa (and a find of a 1/96 build log to an RC model which is informative)

Tom

Hi Tom - I've wondered this and it's clearly come up in a thread on "The Ship model" forum.  As Ned says - I cant see any evidence on Colombo, and it's impossible to gauge on the very poor and distant available photos of Calcutta.

However - looking carefullly again at Cairo, they are evident stetching back from the forward breakwater and I think again on the rear most gun - See what you think...

HMS CAIRO

I still haven't got my model - they've not made it to the Uk importers yet:weep:

Rob

Hi Rob,

It was me that tried on 'Ship Model Forum'

I'd say definitely has Cairo 'em on 'A' and 'Y' (slightly curved), not sure about 'X' or 'Q'

I think you'll be quite pleased with the kit. ~The detail on the hull sides is great, doors not so good but I've seen worse! and the HACS directors look (to me) underscale. No hull edge railings which is pretty standard for Trumpeter. Got some 3Dprinted bling for it weapons and directors (got MkIV HACS instead of III but I'll manage)

I compared the hull alongside a Z class destroyer's, and was amazed at the similarity in length, and the irony(?) of a destroyer with cruiser sized guns and a cruiser with destroyer sized guns!

Keep safe - and warm

Tom

• Like 1