Punch and Die set recommendations

DeepSea

Hi All,

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a punch and die set?  I know the waldron ones used to be highly thought of but afaict they're OOP now and rare as anything.

If it makes a difference I'd mostly be doing 1/32 with occasional dabbles in 1/48?

Cheers in advance

David

Thirded....

As an ex Toolmaker, (basic piercing ie punch & die is the most basic of press tools) I can highly recommend RPtoolz set, as previously mention they are pricey but are well machined and material used seem to be of good quality.

3 hours ago, DeepSea said:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a punch and die set? 

Punch and die sets are expensive, so depends on how much you are going to use it,  You can make a DIY one with two sheets of perspex and use the back end of drill bits.   It's not brilliant, but does work.

I made one like this,  off hand not sure where it is, and no time to go hunting.   If you want more info I'll have a rummage.

Not my idea BTW, was suggested by @Iain Wyllie years ago on Hyerpscale I think, I had some perspex offcuts so had a bash at making one. 

If you have a drill press and can drill metal, that would make a better base plate, with a perspex top piece so you can see what you are doing.

Another cheap way is a leather punch.  These can be got cheap, and will punch out 30 or 40 thou no problem.   Again, really depends on what you need, and how often you need it.

HTH

• Like 1

il_1140xN.2425427217_s16c.jpg

I bought one of these off amazon in 2017 & have been using regularly since then...

It cost around £20 odd quid - so quite affordable & very sturdy - used by jewellers for punching metal discs...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I bought one of these off amazon in 2017 & have been using regularly since then...

It cost around £20 odd quid - so quite affordable & very sturdy - used by jewellers for punching metal discs...

Do you know what I should be searching for on amazon - what keywords?

Cheers 

D

9 minutes ago, DeepSea said:

Do you know what I should be searching for on amazon - what keywords?

Cheers 

D

Try... Proops Circular Jewellers Disc Cutters, Set of 14 (J1038).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

That looks positively industrial!

1 minute ago, Scimitar F1 said:

That looks positively industrial!

...goes through styrene a treat - making lovely little discs

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 9:43 AM, BIG X said:

On 1/21/2021 at 9:43 AM, BIG X said:

I got the exact same set and its done everything that I have ever wanted from it...............value for money @ £25

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352604692341?mkevt=1&mkcid=28&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=352604692341&targetid=1140014333902&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045466&poi=&campaignid=12128843707&mkgroupid=117235444295&rlsatarget=pla-1140014333902&abcId=9300483&merchantid=7300134&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjKqABhDLARIsABbJrGlnsH8iDe0ppKxKJrrerFmR_JZDZZ7HxytDfmqr_w5LC08gwsG4kVUaAqXWEALw_wcB

• Like 1