Airfix 1/72 Defiant

Orso

defiant_108.JPG

I bought the new tool Defiant from Airfix to build an ASR plane but just had to build the old one to compare them.

defiant_210.JPG

defiant_211.JPG

There are some small things that I didn't like with the kit. The plastic is much too soft. One antenna broke when I was cutting it off the sprue, but that didn't matter as it had to be cut down anyway when gear is down.The other antenna broke while trying to mount it, and the pitot tube also was damaged.The other thing I didn't like was that the gun barrels wasn't separate pieces that could be attached at the end of the build. Now they went on early and bent while handling the model and finally one broke off.

defiant_206.JPG

For smoke bombs I used bombs from the Bristol Bulldog on this one like I did on the Spitfire and my P-47. I needed to build streamlined covers at the ends of the dinghy packs as they seems to be on a Defiant.

defiant_212.JPG

The carpet monster nicked my finished smoke bombs, so I had to come up with new ones.  Not correct but they'll do.

defiant_207.JPG

defiant_209.JPG

But in the end, I am happy to have built it.

defiant_208.JPG

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention that the dinghy packs were from Alley Cat.

asr_01.JPG

I have started on a third ASR plane now (or fourth if one shall count the P-47 that I built ages ago).

Edited by Orso
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the look of the ASR version, pleased to see it expertly done in camo. I built the old kit many years ago and have the new one in a cupboard. I seem to remember having lots of trouble with the undercarriage doors and how to paint the fairing between the canopy and turret. I still struggle to work out how someone decided a turret fighter would work, but have enormous respect for anyone who flew in one (particularly the gunner who doesn't look like he'd have an easy escape route if needed).