Messerschmitt Bf109G-14

This is the 'notorious' Unimodel kit - and I can understand why it gets bad reviews - I'm happy to enlarge on that if anyone is interested, but for now I'll stick more generally to the RFI.

It does go together, but not particularly well in some areas.  The decals provide for 'Red 11' WNr 460425 - except that 460425 seems actually to have been 'yellow 11', not red.  Some of the balkenkreuze markings supplied are also incorrect for that WNr as well.  So after a visit to the spares box (for decals and wheels - the kit wheels were horrible), we have (hopefully) a slightly more accurate representation of 'yellow 11' of III/JG76, discovered in a 'stripped-down' condition by the advancing allies at Athis/Bisseuil in September 1944.  Anyway, it's done, so I can cross it off the list and we can move on.. ;) 

ZbIUVq7.jpg GnyjGyi.jpg?1

OEBWaC3.jpg

ypPlFV6.jpg?1

VYbCIy8.jpg

QVYBauP.jpg?1

F4WLiKd.jpg

5pje3MW.jpg

vPGpult.jpg?1

Rwix8Ia.jpg?1

• Like 21

Your build is very well done! It looks good, upper cowling shape a bit suspect (not your fault obviously).

But if you knew the kit was bad going in, why didn't you use a better one? 🤣 there are several options for good and affordable 1/48 G-14s. Is the Unimodel a bad copy of something else?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlad said:

But if you knew the kit was bad going in, why didn't you use a better one? 🤣 there are several options for good and affordable 1/48 G-14s. Is the Unimodel a bad copy of something else?

Fair question ;) 

I acquired it as part of a bundle, and it might sound daft, but it really was the bad reviews that got me interested. Not sure if the kit has any history prior to the Unimodel boxing - according to Scalemates, it is an original UM item.  But either way, the reviews are mostly right.  The shape is what it is, but the canopy is frosted, like 'privacy' glass (conversely, the front screen is perfectly clear); the engine (which I had to leave out in the end) does not align properly with the front of the cowling; the prop is the wrong shape, I think; the horizontal stabiliser tabs are the wrong size to fit into the tailplane (so need cutting/sanding to fit); the instructions are - in some cases, suggesting the wrong parts to be fitted or are simply incorrect; the wing root/fuselage joins (which I've carefully avoided showing in the pics) are way off alignment and some of the panel lines/surface detail looks like it has been simply forgotten.  A better modeller than me could probably have addressed all of the above if they were prepared to spend the time on it - which I wasn't.  But, on the upside, it kept me busy for a few days and I enjoyed the painting and it does look 'a bit' like a 109.. ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Congratulations, you are a brave man.

I also tried this kit a while ago and it ended in the bin. I tried to build it with the engine exposed and finally gave up. The kit is unbuildable.

I can really recommend the Zvezda kit as a much better alternative.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, VolkerR. said:

Congratulations, you are a brave man.

I also tried this kit a while ago and it ended in the bin. I tried to build it with the engine exposed and finally gave up. The kit is unbuildable.

I can really recommend the Zvezda kit as a much better alternative.

Thanks Volker :) 

To be honest, there were two or three occasions when I felt like binning the kit as well.  The engine and multi-part fuselage assembly means there's a lot that can go wrong.  Let's just say I won't be building any more of them ;) 

1 hour ago, Werdna said:

Fair question ;) 

I acquired it as part of a bundle, and it might sound daft, but it really was the bad reviews that got me interested. Not sure if the kit has any history prior to the Unimodel boxing - according to Scalemates, it is an original UM item.  But either way, the reviews are mostly right.  The shape is what it is, but the canopy is frosted, like 'privacy' glass (conversely, the front screen is perfectly clear); the engine (which I had to leave out in the end) does not align properly with the front of the cowling; the prop is the wrong shape, I think; the horizontal stabiliser tabs are the wrong size to fit into the tailplane (so need cutting/sanding to fit); the instructions are - in some cases, suggesting the wrong parts to be fitted or are simply incorrect; the wing root/fuselage joins (which I've carefully avoided showing in the pics) are way off alignment and some of the panel lines/surface detail looks like it has been simply forgotten.  A better modeller than me could probably have addressed all of the above if they were prepared to spend the time on it - which I wasn't.  But, on the upside, it kept me busy for a few days and I enjoyed the painting and it does look 'a bit' like a 109.. ;) 

I'm one to occasionally do a self-imposed challenge but not in the sense of deliberately building a bad kit when there are better options around 😁 still, as you say it looks like 109 and sounds like you had fun. You seem to like building 109s and I recall you have done an Eduard, so I will echo VolkerR in saying you need to do a Zvezda next. The G-6 kit comes with the Erla canopy and tall tail so can easily be made into a G-14 as well if you have the spare decals. It also has the pitfall of a fiddly engine assembly but the fit is very good elsewhere and shape and accuracy are top notch. And if you want one that's just a pleasure to build, the Tamiya G-6 is in a league of its own. Expensive, but definitely worth building once.

35 minutes ago, Vlad said:

I'm one to occasionally do a self-imposed challenge but not in the sense of deliberately building a bad kit when there are better options around 😁 still, as you say it looks like 109 and sounds like you had fun. You seem to like building 109s and I recall you have done an Eduard, so I will echo VolkerR in saying you need to do a Zvezda next. The G-6 kit comes with the Erla canopy and tall tail so can easily be made into a G-14 as well if you have the spare decals. It also has the pitfall of a fiddly engine assembly but the fit is very good elsewhere and shape and accuracy are top notch. And if you want one that's just a pleasure to build, the Tamiya G-6 is in a league of its own. Expensive, but definitely worth building once.

It's definitely a bad kit - and now I can speak from experience :D 

Since I started building again last year, I've done seven 109s (eight including this one) and I've got another two K-4s (Hasegawa & Fujimi) and a Fujimi G-14/AS in the pile for this year.  Thanks for the tip on the Tamiya G-6 and the Zvezda, I will take a look :) 

20 minutes ago, Werdna said:

It's definitely a bad kit - and now I can speak from experience :D 

Since I started building again last year, I've done seven 109s (eight including this one) and I've got another two K-4s (Hasegawa & Fujimi) and a Fujimi G-14/AS in the pile for this year.  Thanks for the tip on the Tamiya G-6 and the Zvezda, I will take a look :) 

A fine and growing collection 🙂 I am mainly a 1/72 builder but when I discovered Tamiya made a 1/48 109-6 and read the reviews I had to have it. Since then I built a 1/48 Eduard G-2 and a Zvezda F-4, to try each one out. Now have an Eduard 109G-6/AS in progress and my shelf space is cursing me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vlad said:

A fine and growing collection 🙂 I am mainly a 1/72 builder but when I discovered Tamiya made a 1/48 109-6 and read the reviews I had to have it. Since then I built a 1/48 Eduard G-2 and a Zvezda F-4, to try each one out. Now have an Eduard 109G-6/AS in progress and my shelf space is cursing me.

I was meant to be putting up another shelf tonight, but it hasn't happened.  Maybe tomorrow ;) 

• Haha 1

Hi Werdna,

I love seeing a new RFI thread from you, because they're always written in a humorous manner and I think that you and I have very similar interests where our builds are concerned.  I just wish I could build like you can!  Anyway, another cracker there, especially so if you had to fight it every step of the way.  The reference photo at the top is very interesting, too.

I currently have two Gustavs in the stash, an Zvezda G6 and an Eduard G6/AS.  Hopefully they'll come together well (especially as I went rather overboard on the AM for the Eduard...).  The Unimodel certainly seems to have additional challenges fitted at the factory!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Hi Werdna,

I love seeing a new RFI thread from you, because they're always written in a humorous manner and I think that you and I have very similar interests where our builds are concerned.  I just wish I could build like you can!  Anyway, another cracker there, especially so if you had to fight it every step of the way.  The reference photo at the top is very interesting, too.

I currently have two Gustavs in the stash, an Zvezda G6 and an Eduard G6/AS.  Hopefully they'll come together well (especially as I went rather overboard on the AM for the Eduard...).  The Unimodel certainly seems to have additional challenges fitted at the factory!

Thanks Jack, those are kind words :) 

There's actually another pic of yellow 11, taken from the other side with the plane (or what's left of it) lying flat on the ground after someone (presumably the Americans) nicked the axle stands/ammo boxes it was sitting on.  I'm onto a Zvezda La-5 next, but I need to get another shelf up first ;) 

• Like 1

Great build despite the kit doing everything to prevent completion :D I know what you mean being attracted by unfavourable reviews, I have such kits in my stash too. The same principle worked with films too sometimes, some of the most enjoyable ones had not so great reviews (can you remember watching them in cinemas on a large screen? Ahh...the past).

Anyway, good build of a challenging kit 👍

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1