Hello from Poland

Lukasz Gmerek

Hi, my name is Lukas and I live in Wroclaw. I believe that my passion for aviation and to be more precise military aviation started quite early while I was a teenager. Since then that passion manifested in may different ways like doing paper models, playing simulators like Falcon and later DCS and others. Two years ago I added another flavour to it - scale modeling. It turned out to be love from the first sight, so I believe I will keep doing it for a long time.  Currently I am focused solely on the aircraft models designed before proper jet era arrived. Till today I have finished 5 projects and a couple months ago I created a website and started running a blog, so I you are interested please check it here: fine-miniatures.  

Cheers!

• Like 3

On 20/01/2021 at 20:14, TonyOD said:

Dzien dobry! (Did I get that right?) 

Welcome. I've been to your country many times and I love the place.

You nailed it! It is nice to hear that you like Poland. Where have you been if I may ask?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Serdecznie Wytam!  It's good to have another aircraft modeler here.  In what scale do you prefer to work, or are you still experimenting with scales to find out which suits you best?

Thanks for the welcome! I started with 1:48 and for now I am finding a sweet spot for aircraft modeling. In time I will try 1:32 for sure. How about you?

23 minutes ago, Lukasz Gmerek said:

Where have you been if I may ask?

Oh, lots of places. For about five years I went to Lodz a couple of times a year (I worked with an import/export agent there - TextilImpex they were called. I worked with two guys called Miroslaw and Slawomir. We went to visit a factory in Bilesko-Biala once, a long taxi ride in January. I've never been so cold). My first trip was in 1990, it was very different to how it is now. The train ride from Warsaw felt like a real adventure. I stayed in the Orbis Grand... it wasn't very grand...

Later on I went to Warsaw and Posnan often, and travelled around a bit. I had lots of good times. In fact I met my wife on a trade mission to Warsaw!

These were all business trips, when things are back to "normal" I'd like to come on a holiday. I hear the mountains in the south are very beautiful. 

Edited by TonyOD

21 minutes ago, Lukasz Gmerek said:

How about you?

I build almost exclusively in 1/72 and 1/76 (very similar), depending on whether it's aircraft or ground vehicles.  I love heavy aircraft--anything multi-engined with "heavy" feel on the flight controls strikes my fancy. 

BTW: I've been to Wroclaw.  Really pretty town, and worthy rival to Krakow (don't tell the Krakus people, though!).  Is the hobby shop near the Old Rynek still there?

On 24/01/2021 at 18:27, TheyJammedKenny! said:

BTW: I've been to Wroclaw.  Really pretty town, and worthy rival to Krakow (don't tell the Krakus people, though!).  Is the hobby shop near the Old Rynek still there?

Indeed it is! I work with guys who moved from Krakow to Wroclaw - that must mean something :) I am wondering which shop you are asking about. There is one called m-zone though it is 10 minutes walking distance from the Old Rynek.

On 24/01/2021 at 18:25, TonyOD said:

Oh, lots of places. For about five years I went to Lodz a couple of times a year (I worked with an import/export agent there - TextilImpex they were called. I worked with two guys called Miroslaw and Slawomir. We went to visit a factory in Bilesko-Biala once, a long taxi ride in January. I've never been so cold). My first trip was in 1990, it was very different to how it is now. The train ride from Warsaw felt like a real adventure. I stayed in the Orbis Grand... it wasn't very grand...

Later on I went to Warsaw and Posnan often, and travelled around a bit. I had lots of good times. In fact I met my wife on a trade mission to Warsaw!

These were all business trips, when things are back to "normal" I'd like to come on a holiday. I hear the mountains in the south are very beautiful. 

Yup - Poland in 1990 was a very much different country to what we have currently. Winters at that time were harsh as well (-20  / -25 during night in December / January was nothing special) and now except for this month I cannot remember when it was for the last time that I saw snow in the city...

• Like 1

Hallo from Vienna, Austria.

Congratulation! Your Website.

Welcome at the Forum.

Many of my impressions I got in Poland. In Krakau.

Most odf our modelling stuff I get from Poland too.

Happy modelling